QM2 2022

57eric

9 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

That’s what they told my TA-🤨

Understood. Just saying what I'm seeing on cunard.com doesn't seem to match what your TA was told. Several other US cruise booking sites are also showing voyage Q133 available to book. I wouldn't want you to miss out on booking that voyage if your TA had been given bad information by Cunard.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, Underwatr said:

I think QM2's draft is stated as 34 feet or 10.36 meters, so maybe another foot of clearance there.

Height is 236.2 feet from keel.

Air draft is therefore around 202 feet +/-. Over 190 but within the extreme allowance of 205 feet. C'mon Cunard!

I'd love to see it too, but the required conditions would require perfect timing.  Any delay in the ship's arrival due to a MedEvac, mechanical problems, or labor dispute at a port could leave the ship stuck on the Pacific side of hours. 

That, and the toll would be astronomical.  Three years ago a container ship, the MOL Benefactor,  paid over $829K USD to use the new locks and that ship is a bit shorter than QM2.  The publicity probably isn't worth the cost and risk factors. 

Norwegian Bliss (168,000 tons, 325.9 meters (1,069 feet) long, 41.4 meters (135.8 feet) wide, 5000+ passengers) paid $891,600 to transit the canal in 2018.

One way to look at it: $800,000 / 2500 passengers = $320 per passenger, which isn't really outlandish. 

Edited by Underwatr