Priority boarding taken away from Diamond and Diamond plus members on Liberty of the Seas Royal Caribbean ship

Ysya

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

It has literally taken me 7 cruises to become diamond. One was a 9 day under old system. One was a short cruise 4 day. The others were all in suites. It didn't take long to make diamond. Literally 3-4 years. 

OK what's the point of the humble brag? I am missing it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I think the OP was talking about the "perceived D+ perk" of priority lane at security being "taken away" - I  would guess a  portion of D+ never experienced that as it was only an issue at a few ports.

Yes that has been my experience.  Security at ports we have cruised is handled differently.  It might not even be Royal Caribbean personnel or policy.  It could be the port authority.  So why is this being blamed on a presumed perk being taken away?  

32 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Unfortunately don’t think Bayley cares what loyal cruisers think. 

There are loyal cruisers that received their top tier status because they cruise in Suites and regular fare balcony cabins. However the majority of Pinacles and also the Diamond, Diamond + from that generation mainly earn their status through very cheap deals and with lot's of complaining as can be seen here again to get again something for free. For this clientele Bayley needs to play the game on events such as Presidents Cruise, but these clients are not the ones that make RCCL succeed. Anyway this generation will be gone in the next 10 - 20 years and together with that and futher changes in the cruising industry let's see what will happen also interms of loyality programs etc. Currently it looks like that if you want perks you need to pay for them, if "loyal" customers are considered as well again more higher yielding customers I wouldn't be suprised that eventually they will also get more rewarded again, but now, especially a the North American top tiers, why should the company bother, they will anyway continue cruising any annoy the staff.

• Like 3

Sorry lmaxwell not meant to be a brag. It's just the point system has changed so much that turning diamond is now attainable. I try to find cheap junior suites for the double points. 

The old system was a point a cruise. So you literally had to take 25 cruises to be diamond. Now you don't. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Sorry lmaxwell not meant to be a brag. It's just the point system has changed so much that turning diamond is now attainable. I try to find cheap junior suites for the double points. 

The old system was a point a cruise. So you literally had to take 25 cruises to be diamond. Now you don't. 

I recall the old system being 1 credit per cruise, an extra credit for a suite, and an extra credit for cruises of 12+ nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BSocial said:

Wow, the attitudes of several posters on  this page!  Why the anger for those with a very special status? Why the anger for those with the Key? Why is removing tips relevant?  

For Heaven’s sake, people, Get along with each other.  This is the Holiday season.  Be thankful you are Alive, and able to cruise.  

So very well said.  This board used to be just full of positivity and happiness about cruising.  There is so much criticism anymore.  I am diamond and has taken me so many years.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm D+ tier member and I don't ever recall a separate special line even when I was as someone said a lowly D member.  Once past security, I'm assigned check in the D+ queue line and boarded with the D/D+ members.  Maybe it's certain ports.

I've sailed many times out of Fort Lauderdale and had to snake to security in the general line.

D  plus were allowed thru the suite pinnacle line in get thru security at PC until last year

19 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I recall the old system being 1 credit per cruise, an extra credit for a suite, and an extra credit for cruises of 12+ nights.

Not Always. There has been a time when it was 1 Point per cruise and no extra Points for travelling solo and / or suites and / or 12+ night Cruises. 

The Change must have been sometime end of 2003 beginning of 2004. First time I received extra Points was May 2004, last cruise Prior was Sept. 2003.

Edited by 123funcruiser

2 minutes ago, 123funcruiser said:

Not Always. There has been a time when it was 1 Point per cruise and no extra Points for travelling solo and / or suites and / or 12+ night Cruises. 

The Change must have been sometime end of 2003 beginning of 2004. First time I received extra Points was May 2004, last cruise Prior was Sept. 2003.

You are correct.  The extra credit for longer cruises came in Jan 2003 and the extra credit for suites came in Jan 2004.

Perks are not earned.  You earned money and then spent it on a cruise.  You pay for your vacation and anything that's thrown in as an extra is at the discretion of the company and this is true for any vacation not just cruises.  It's a loyalty program designed to keep customers coming back, but it's not a right and it's not owed to you unless it's specifically stated in the contract you signed.  If you are not happy with the vacation you receive for the price you paid, you have the right to spend your money somewhere else.  This is true for any transaction.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

I remember it being 10 cruises/points to make Diamond. 

• Like 1

The double credit for solos came sometime much later, between January 2013 and August 2014.

What I expect for my loyalty is experiences and memories.  If those are right perks are not needed and if not right they are meaningless.

Roy

I don't get it...and being "furious"??  A little over the top for sure.  🙄

It is only a few minutes difference separating boarding priorities.  We are all going to get on the ship

at some point.  Why stress over it? 

What I find even more interesting...are the pax so desperate to get on the ship first...are the same ones so desperate to get off the ship first.  Me first generation....very sad.  😞 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

I don't get it...and being "furious"??  A little over the top for sure.  🙄

It is only a few minutes difference separating boarding priorities.  We are all going to get on the ship

at some point.  Why stress over it? 

What I find even more interesting...are the pax so desperate to get on the ship first...are the same ones so desperate to get off the ship first.  Me first generation....very sad.  😞 

Just like on planes, claiming Special assistance needed for pre-boarding and then the healing magic of flying sets in and they can run ahead for getting first off the plane.😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What came of the Princess Advanced Boarding program they piloted last year?  For a nominal fee...

I have no problem going through security as a commoner.  It's a few minutes of my life before days and days of a cruise.  I have often experienced longer queues at TSA PreCheck lines at many airports.  

Once through security and checked in I get to board as the 3rd or 4th group called.  Always before the lower levels of CAS and always before the never-cruised-on-royal.  That to me is priority boarding.  I'm D+.  

The Key introduced a new source of revenue for Royal.  That new revenue helps them keep the cost of cruising affordable for the rest of us.  I'm am totally fine with that, the Key has had zero impact on my D+ perks. 

• Like 3

I guess I must be one of the “low maintenance” Diamond +.  While it was nice to be able to go through a priority line at security and be able to sit in the priority section in the terminal I have never given it more than a passing thought.  Maybe a little disappointed they took it away but that is all.

Why start out your cruise all mad and upset before you even step on the ship?  My goodness I am blessed to have been on this earth for 66yrs now and am healthy enough to be able to take a wonderful vacation a lot of people only dream of!!

I guess I am saying I enjoy every minute I have and I “choose” to live my life with a positive attitude.  If I died tomorrow would it matter I had to stand in a general public line last week???  I don’t think so...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

... That new revenue helps them keep the cost of cruising affordable for the rest of us.  ...

The price Royal charges for a cruise is based on what the market will bear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I just hope they keep the free drinks perk, once we make diamond in 2021 🙂. It will save us the $$ of getting a drink package 🙂

Depends on if you like top shelf or the cheap stuff. 

We are Diamond and very light drinkers so might have 2 drinks on a 12 day cruise. If we want a quality drink, we happily pay for it.

As for the possible longer time to board, it is not an issue as we travel light and always have a book.  

Edited by Bookish Angel

59 minutes ago, plaz70 said:

Perks are not earned.  You earned money and then spent it on a cruise.  You pay for your vacation and anything that's thrown in as an extra is at the discretion of the company and this is true for any vacation not just cruises.  It's a loyalty program designed to keep customers coming back, but it's not a right and it's not owed to you unless it's specifically stated in the contract you signed.  If you are not happy with the vacation you receive for the price you paid, you have the right to spend your money somewhere else.  This is true for any transaction.

Crown and Anchor describes the perks as being "earned". I see them just the same as the points I earn by using a particular credit card. Once I accrue points I am entitled to use them.  I certainly don't see them as a gift bestowed on me. RCCL promotes their loyalty scheme so people will see there is some earned benefit in their repeat business. I'm not sure why people think the OP should feel so grateful for them, or why she should not express disappointment when those  earned benefits are removed.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I guess I must be one of the “low maintenance” Diamond +.  While it was nice to be able to go through a priority line at security and be able to sit in the priority section in the terminal I have never given it more than a passing thought.  Maybe a little disappointed they took it away but that is all.

Why start out your cruise all mad and upset before you even step on the ship?  My goodness I am blessed to have been on this earth for 66yrs now and am healthy enough to be able to take a wonderful vacation a lot of people only dream of!!

I guess I am saying I enjoy every minute I have and I “choose” to live my life with a positive attitude.  If I died tomorrow would it matter I had to stand in a general public line last week???  I don’t think so...

So very well said.  Namaste!

• Like 1

also just from a business standpoint, i'm sure royal gets a lot more money from the new/first time cruisers than any of us lol
We check prices after booking and reprice, we know to watch the prices on drinks and dinning packages, we book 3rd party excursions, avoid upcharge things on board (spa packages, art, some shops stuff) i know there is exceptions to this but i truly believe most diamond level members and above know how to make their royal dollar stretch a little further unlike the new cruiser. 
also they would have to look at how many D,D+,pin, suite, key, people they have..too many and that "priority" line might just end up longer than general admission lol  
i enjoy my few perks (only D right now) but it wouldn't make or break my vacation. I enjoy royal ships and itineraries and thats what brings me back.

• Like 1