Priority boarding taken away from Diamond and Diamond plus members on Liberty of the Seas Royal Caribbean ship

Ysya

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Really???!!   Would you like to guess how much we Loyal Royals have spent over the years?  I book nothing but suites...and have been cruising Royal since 2005.  Don't even go there.  

Guess what... I'll definitely go there.

If you have been cruising Royal since 2005 in nothing but suites, then you have received exactly what you have paid for... cruises in suite accommodation with suite perks. You definitely paid for those suite perks, and you have received them.

You did not pay for Diamond or Diamond+ perks. They have been given to you as a freebie. If not receiving a freebie puts you off cruising with Royal, then off you go to another cruise line (where you will lose all the other D/D+ perks you currently get with Royal).

The other important point, and why I question you even posting on the subject, is that if you only book suites, the point of this thread is completely irrelevant to you. Suite perks are not being taken away, only D/D+ perks.

Please give an example of what perk someone who is D+ and cruising in a suite has lost?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WeighAnchor said:

I am sending this from LoS as we speak. We last cruised on RC in August 2018. I noticed a few changes on this trip from our last sailing on RC:

No more priority in the security line. 
D+ is now lumped with Emerald and Diamond for check in. 
Silverware is no longer pre-rolled in the Windjammer. 
Paper straws instead of plastic (GOOD CHANGE). 
Staterooms don’t open until 1:30 PM (as opposed to 1:00 PM). 

I am sure there were others, but I may not have noticed. I also remember another thread about staff opening the alcoholic beer beverages. I had some bartenders that did and some that didn’t on this trip (Miller Lite has a screw cap). I didn’t specifically ask them to keep it closed; so, that’s still a hit and miss. 

This is the second time that the silverware is no longer wrapped on the Liberty.  I wonder why that is?

I have Diamond status and I don't think I ever got priority boarding for security.  Security took as short or long a time as it did and then we got where we could get in a Diamond line. It depends how many security lines are open for how fast it is. My brother had the Key and said they went through regular security and then got the special Key boarding. We were boarding the Allure then, but I don't remember the diamond question coming up until after security at any port until after security. 

We are both on the Liberty in May out of Galveston, him with the Key again, and we will see what happens there. 

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I am not furious. And did not encounter furious D + members either.

In our case, we have cruised and will cruise to enjoy ourselves, not earn perks and medals. I feel you are not enjoying your cruises one bit if you are getting so "furious".

No one knows how I feel.  I love cruising, but feel that RC has let us down as "Loyal Royals". They are the ones that encourage  us to cruise more with promise of perks, then take them away.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DebJ14 said:

The Carnivalization of Royal Caribbean!  They realized Carnival was making a bundle on their Faster to the Fun program and came up with the Key to make Carnival passengers feel at home on RCCL without earning any benefits.  As a Diamond on both lines it ticks me off, having invested about $130,000 in cruises to have the guy  on his first cruise with the inside cabin that cost $500 for 2 people, getting many of the same perks I get when I book a suite on RCCL for $4000 or more.

Well said, you get my point exactly.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ysya said:

We have "earned"these perks as listed under the different levels.  We have "paid" for these so called perks many times over.  You obviously haven't been in the diamond lounge lately, because every diamond and Diamond plus members is furious.  You are welcome to give up all your perks as you wish. 

Really?? Every single Diamond and Diamond Plus member is furious?  I am sure some are not pleased but many know that privileges and "entitlements" are slowly being stripped away.   Why even bother cruising if you are going to be "furious" about it?  Just stay home and save your money and stew in your anger and bitterness for free.   Too much money being spent to go on a vacation to spend time being "furious." 

• Like 3

On 12/14/2019 at 5:44 AM, Ysya said:

We have "earned"these perks as listed under the different levels.  We have "paid" for these so called perks many times over.  You obviously haven't been in the diamond lounge lately, because every diamond and Diamond plus members is furious.  You are welcome to give up all your perks as you wish. 

You have "earned" these perks from the day that Royal started offering them. You have also LOST these "perks" the day they decide you no longer receive them. What happens in the middle of all this is you get to enjoy what has been given to you free of charge and you SHOULD be appreciative of what has been given, not be complaining about it. You do not pay a fee for these perks, that is what the key program is for now, and suites, and once sailing enough, for now, Platinum. Have a drink in the lounge, or several, and drawn your sorrows in the free liquor. This is a business, not daddys checkbook that can buy you anything.

Edited by gbcruise
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ysya said:

Grow up, they promised us these perks.  You can have a say when you have cruised as many times that I have.  And by the way, if you think we haven't paid for these perks, you are wrong.

This post made me laugh because I just said something similar to my teen tonight about her abusing the privilege I gave her to sometimes use my car.  This is also how my parents spoke to me and if the debate gets heated enough, still do.  That's when I like to ask them how old they think I am.  The response is normally "It doesn't matter you're still my child"  I like to respond with "How does it feel to have a child that's pushing half a century?"  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cured said:

As I stated above, Southwest just did this very thing.  They didn't take my actual points away, but they did increase the amount of points needed to qualify for certain perks.  To earn companion status, it used to be 110,000 Rapid Rewards points, from a credit card or flights.  They upped the amount needed to earn companion status to 125,000 points, so effectively the same thing.

I paid for my 110,000 points.  But I don't think I am entitled to the companion pass since they now upped it to needing 125,000 points.  Same as with RCI.  You don't lose your Diamond status, but now it takes more points (higher status) to get into that priority line or you can purchase the right via the key or a suite.

Airlines do this all the time.  They don't take actual points away, just like RCI doesn't take OP's actual status away for her earned perks, but the perks for that amount of points change all the time..

Southwest changed it over a decade ago from flight segments to points based on amount spent. It used to be 16 flight segments for a free ticket. Using the SW Visa card got you one flight segment for every $1,000 charged. And if you earned something like 8 tickets in s year, you would get the companion pass for a year. 

One year, I was 2 flight segments short of my 8th ticket, so I drove from Fredericksburg VA to BWI and flew to Norfolk. Walked across the terminal to a departing flight back to BWI. Then drove home.

We haven't paid any attention to their program since they changed it because it was intended to reflect the change in their target audience to business travellers rather than bargain vscationers like us. But I haven't griped about it, either. Just have fond memories of playing their system.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DebJ14 said:

As a Diamond on both lines it ticks me off, having invested about $130,000 in cruises to have the guy  on his first cruise with the inside cabin that cost $500 for 2 people, getting many of the same perks I get when I book a suite on RCCL for $4000 or more.

What bothers you more, the complaint the OP has about losing perks, or your complaint that someone else you consider undeserving is getting something you think only you should get?  Why do people worry whether someone else gets something, too?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ysya said:

Grow up, they promised us these perks.  You can have a say when you have cruised as many times that I have.  And by the way, if you think we haven't paid for these perks, you are wrong.

I bet you’re one of those people that, when you get pulled over for speeding, tells the officer, “I pay your salary!”.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, DebJ14 said:

The Carnivalization of Royal Caribbean!  They realized Carnival was making a bundle on their Faster to the Fun program and came up with the Key to make Carnival passengers feel at home on RCCL without earning any benefits.  As a Diamond on both lines it ticks me off, having invested about $130,000 in cruises to have the guy  on his first cruise with the inside cabin that cost $500 for 2 people, getting many of the same perks I get when I book a suite on RCCL for $4000 or more.

So you are ticked off someone else was smarter than you to find the best deal.

I´m sure your next cruise will be in that inside cabin for $500 enjoying those perks.

• Like 1