ms Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades December 15, 2019

Scrapnana

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sounded tinny to me.  To each his own.  Still better than Carnival, though.

Roy

I like it better than the RCI ships but not as much as the HAL ships.  They are nice and deep without that low rumble that RCI has.

1 minute ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Why that late for NS and K?  Anyone know?

Hi sevenseasnomad. Maybe because I just read on another thread that there are passengers from the canceled Nieuw A cruise that have been able to be accomidated on Nieuw Statemdam and Koningsdam so they are being moved from one ship to the other. Those doing this will still get a cruise although maybe not the itinerary they had planned on.

From HAL on their FB page:  

Due to an unexpected technical issue with one of two Azipod propulsion systems on Nieuw Amsterdam the roundtrip Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Dec. 14 Caribbean cruise has been canceled. While the ship can safely sail with one Azipod, to do so requires approval from several regulatory authorities which is still in progress. Given the impact of the delay on delivering a satisfactory itinerary for guests, a decision was made to cancel the cruise at 2 p.m. EDT today.

All guests have been notified of the cancellation and will have the choice of remaining on board overnight tonight alongside in Port Everglades or disembarking the ship this afternoon. Holland America Line is working with guests to assist with travel arrangements and provide support. Several guests have been re-booked on other Holland America Line cruises departing Fort. Lauderdale today.

Guests will receive a full refund of cruise fare and taxes paid, hotel package costs, prepaid shore excursions and amenities, and any additional travel fees resulting from rebooking air tickets. They will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount of the cruise fare paid.

All of us at Holland America Line are incredibly sorry to disappoint our guests and impact their vacation plans in this way. While these types of incidents are incredibly rare, we never cancel a cruise unless we have no choice.

It is not known at this time what impact there may be on upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam sailings. For the cruise scheduled to depart on Dec. 21, booked guests and their travel advisors will be notified no later than Tuesday, Dec. 17, at noon PDT/3 p.m. EDT if any adjustments are required.

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Roy; what's the background in your new Avatar?

It's the Holiday display at the base of the Crystal Plaza stairs on the Crystal Symphony.  I was on the ship Thanksgiving week, and decorations had barely started then on the Serenity.

Roy

• Thanks 1

Thanks, rjbean4.  Glad that some passengers will get their cruise, but feel badly for those who return home with a "vacation that wasn't."  Life happens; ships can have problems.  Better to be safe than stranded out at sea for days.  Still, how very upsetting for many people today.  We all arrive at a cruise port with such high anticipation that has been building for months, in most cases, and to be let down in this manner has to be a huge disappointment.

I suppose I always assume the ship will sail.  Now, I know differently.  Don't know why I never considered this can happen to any ship, and cruise line.  Hope everyone who must travel home has a safe journey.

Just now, St Pete Cruiser said:

Royal is leaving, guess she got tired of waiting for HAL to move.  that is a bit close.

Too close for comfort by our view, but I'll bet they have plenty of room from their view.  LOL.  They better not hit that dam ship because we board her next Sunday.

8 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Thanks, rjbean4.  Glad that some passengers will get their cruise, but feel badly for those who return home with a "vacation that wasn't."  Life happens; ships can have problems.  Better to be safe than stranded out at sea for days.  Still, how very upsetting for many people today.  We all arrive at a cruise port with such high anticipation that has been building for months, in most cases, and to be let down in this manner has to be a huge disappointment.

I suppose I always assume the ship will sail.  Now, I know differently.  Don't know why I never considered this can happen to any ship, and cruise line.  Hope everyone who must travel home has a safe journey.

I left a post on our roll call for next Sunday's departure for you. And with the situation today yes its very unfortunate. With all we have done we have never had a cruise cancel on us but other things have happened. I know all too well with the disruptions my dad dealt with flying for NWA for 31 years and he did way more for NWA than just fly trips.

Edited by rjbean4