If you actually enjoy reading people’s NCL complaints

tallnthensome

13 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

I'm sure many people share that opinion, but a small amount of research would show them what ships and lines would be best fit for their preferences.  Someone who spends thousands of dollars with no research and then complains they didn't like the way reservations were handled is the antithesis of a smart consumer.

Yep. Research could help with many of the complaints we read in the review section. Of course there are things that pop up that cant be prevented by research. During my research, when I realize that a ship, destination, cruise line, process, etc is not a good fit for me, I move on and look at other options that might he a better fit for me. Its not like people dont have options.  Some may have more options than others of course due to various factors. And even if a person never heard of cruice critic, which many have not, there are certainly many other options for getting info. And if you use a TA who doesnt give good info, time for a new one.

I had a hair stylist who went on her very first cruise during hurricane season. She used a TA. When she got back, she told me about some weather issues, but says she still had a good time. I asked if she knew it was hurricane season. She said no and that the TA never mentioned that. I scratched my head. Glad she still had a good attitude about it, but she said she wont use that TA again. She could have selected another option if given more information. This was years ago. I dont think she was doing her own internet research back then. No hard feelings about TAs, just sharing an example. Her attitude helped her get the most out of the bad weather situation. Good attitude helps sometimes. 

56 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

I'm sure many people share that opinion, but a small amount of research would show them what ships and lines would be the best fit for their preferences.  Someone who spends thousands of dollars with no research and then complains they didn't like the way reservations were handled is the antithesis of a smart consumer.

I couldn't agree with you more!   This is one of my biggest pet peeves about travelers who write reviews.   For example, when we're not cruising we like to book vacations at very large, sprawling resorts, because they usually offer additional amenities or activities.  Yet invariably you see negative reviews from people complaining they had to do too much walking.  Uh, really, you don't say??  So you can take the time to write your review afterwards, but not take the time before booking to learn about where you're staying, nor read the reviews of other uninformed travelers like you who have made the same comment previously?

1 hour ago, AL3XCruise said:

I'm sure many people share that opinion, but a small amount of research would show them what ships and lines would be the best fit for their preferences.  Someone who spends thousands of dollars with no research and then complains they didn't like the way reservations were handled is the antithesis of a smart consumer.

I agree, one must do some research to know whay they are getting when chosing a cruise line.

I don't think NCL should really be calling their dining freestyle anymore. The only freestyle thing about it now is no assigned seating. Before the megaships sailed into the picture, NCL's freestyle was much more free. I feel that it's a shame they have had to stray from that.

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Yep. Research could help with many of the complaints we read in the review section. Of course there are things that pop up that cant be prevented by research. During my research, when I realize that a ship, destination, cruise line, process, etc is not a good fit for me, I move on and look at other options that might he a better fit for me. Its not like people dont have options.  Some may have more options than others of course due to various factors. And even if a person never heard of cruice critic, which many have not, there are certainly many other options for getting info. And if you use a TA who doesnt give good info, time for a new one.

I had a hair stylist who went on her very first cruise during hurricane season. She used a TA. When she got back, she told me about some weather issues, but says she still had a good time. I asked if she knew it was hurricane season. She said no and that the TA never mentioned that. I scratched my head. Glad she still had a good attitude about it, but she said she wont use that TA again. She could have selected another option if given more information. This was years ago. I dont think she was doing her own internet research back then. No hard feelings about TAs, just sharing an example. Her attitude helped her get the most out of the bad weather situation. Good attitude helps sometimes. 

Are TA's supposed to mention things? Mine did nothing but add an extra free at sea perk to my booking and send me an invoice (though I get bombarded by the agency with shore excursion emails despite take the excursion credit as my extra perk)

1 hour ago, SlipperyVic said:

I don't think NCL should really be calling their dining freestyle anymore. The only freestyle thing about it now is no assigned seating. Before the megaships sailed into the picture, NCL's freestyle was much more free. I feel that it's a shame they have had to stray from that.

I suppose I see "freestyle dining" on a megaship as akin to going to a local downtown district and having multiple choices for meals and entertainment.  Some I can walk in or have short wait, some will have long waits, and others require reservations. 

That counters some of the first cruises I went on where everyone dined at one of two fixed times and a show in the main theater played twice nightly, timed in accordance with dinner.  A performer or two around the ship was the only other option for entertainment, and the buffet the only other venue for a meal.  No waits, no reservations, no options.

I understand that to some freestyle means walking into whatever you want on short notice, and would love if that option was available.  The logistics involved, however, make me doubt I'll see it... at least not a pricepoint I'd like!  So for now I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twipenne said:

Are TA's supposed to mention things? Mine did nothing but add an extra free at sea perk to my booking and send me an invoice (though I get bombarded by the agency with shore excursion emails despite take the excursion credit as my extra perk)

The TA that the stylist used was not part of a large online agency where relationships with clients might not matter.  Given the context and scale of the TA she used, yes, informing her that she is booking her first cruise during hurricane season seems within scope and an understandable bit of information to share. TA is a broad term I understand. But, this was not some unknown person working behind a computer screen. 

2 hours ago, SlipperyVic said:

I agree, one must do some research to know whay they are getting when chosing a cruise line.

Its nice that we still have the option of sailing on smaller ships that have fewer of these issues. It will be interesting to see what is planned for the new NCL ships.

8 hours ago, SlipperyVic said:

I don't understand this. We were just on the Breakaway and never had a problem getting seated in any of the MDRs. Well, we did for lunch on the first day, when there was a wait, but otherwise we were always seated either immediately or within 5 minutes for every breakfast and dinner.

It's still freestyle, and with three MDRs to choose from we never had a problem.

We met a couple that complained that they were on a back to back, and the comedian told the same

jokes on both journeys??? Also that the same shows were shown on both segments and they

had nothing new to watch??? I tried not to laugh when they were complaining.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, hallux said:

It's the need to pre-book shows and other activities that people are arguing makes it not "freestyle".

Give me a break. I quoted the post I was replying to, and it said (and I quote):

"I don't think NCL should really be calling their

dining freestyle anymore."

Emphasis is mine, but evidently needed because the sentence is, for some reason unknown, not clear that they were talking about dining. "Dining" as in eating. As in MDR. I never heard attending a show called "dining" before, but I haven't checked the dictionary recently.

Edited by fshagan

I've never had to make a reservation to dine in a MDR ever.  There are three of them with the exact same menu and I've never seen all 3 of them full at the same time.  I didn't think that the freestyle concept extended to the shows.  I always thought it was just eat when you want, where you want and wear what you want (within limits, no formal nights).  I can't imagine what a Charlie Foxtrot it would be if they didn't allow anyone to make a reservation for the shows in the theater.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 12:04 PM, wilmingtech said:

"When we got home I sent repeated letters to Mr. Del Rio and in response I received a call from the FBI/ICE Joint terrorist Taskforce trying to determine if I was a terrorist? The local police also visited my home for questioning. Then learned we were banned for life on NCL"

I just read this whole review and I still have so many questions lol! FBI?  ICE?  Banned?  My god. 

Anyway, I too like to indulge in reading the "worst cruise ever" stories, and it never ceases to amaze me how just ten minutes of research could reset a lot of preconceived expectations that cruisers may have.  But whatever.  If they start doing their research I won't have all these terrible reviews to read!

• Like 1

Not long ago, there was a post from a passenger who was outraged by the claim of "freestyle cruising" because it wasn't possible to order a drink at the bar of his choice in the middle of the night, or use the fitness center at 5:00 a.m.

FWIW, the only time I have not been seated quickly in an MDR on NCL was on the Gem. It was the first night out, which can be a problem because the sequence of boarding, lifeboat drill, and sailing seems to put all the passengers on about the same schedule, and also because few passengers choose specialty dining on the first night. However, the Gem had more waiting for MDR tables than I have seen on the Epic.

23 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Not long ago, there was a post from a passenger who was outraged by the claim of "freestyle cruising" because it wasn't possible to order a drink at the bar of his choice in the middle of the night, or use the fitness center at 5:00 a.m.

FWIW, the only time I have not been seated quickly in an MDR on NCL was on the Gem. It was the first night out, which can be a problem because the sequence of boarding, lifeboat drill, and sailing seems to put all the passengers on about the same schedule, and also because few passengers choose specialty dining on the first night. However, the Gem had more waiting for MDR tables than I have seen on the Epic.

I remember him, he was a single traveler. He was the biggest complainer and overall whiner I’ve seen in a while ..... His posts basically told you why he was a single traveler as no woman would ever want to be around him, especially on a cruise. 

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

I remember him, he was a single traveler. He was the biggest complainer and overall whiner I’ve seen in a while ..... His posts basically told you why he was a single traveler as no woman would ever want to be around him, especially on a cruise. 

Yes and his biggest outrage was being not being handed the pager for the Manhattan room.  He was a solo traveler and they were going to seat him shortly, no need to be given a pager.  But he threw a fit that he was not given a pager after demanding one over and over.  Pagers are usually for large parties and tables.  But he really freaked out demanding to speak with supervisors because he asked for a pager and was told no, not needed.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

This thread is hilarious! 

Below are some excerpts from a recent review of the Getaway...I just picked what I thought were some of the more 'interesting' pieces to quote.  

"The Getaway left from New Orleans, which we found to be a dump for a city. Finding a hotel that wasn't sprayed in gang graffiti was impossible, so we stayed downtown where 10 people were shot on the day we arrived back in port.

"The buffet was similar to hospital food. The bar and grill had the worst service I've ever experienced on a cruise."

"Folks booking "Haven" rooms are treated like royalty and everyone else is looked down upon because they didn't purchase the super expensive rooms. We weren't allowed into shows because the "common folks" seats were taken, but they reserved 30 seats for Haven members in case they wanted to come."

"Sixteen people were held hostage by locals in Costa Maya during their NCL sponsored excursion. This was swept under the rug of course."

"This was definitely the worst cruise we've ever taken. 80% of the people I heard discussing the cruise onboard said the same thing as I, plus they mentioned they'd never return to NCL."

"The crew is miserable and clueless as to what they are supposed to be doing. Yes, there are nice people on the boat, but overall it is a step down from any other cruise line I've been on. We will never be back!"

I notice in several of these ranting reviews, the reviewer cites their conversations with "80%" of people who agree with them about everything and that NCL is horrible and would never return.  Obviously an exaggeration, but clearly meant to make them look justified in their review.  

Not NCL specific but - I ran across an article about dumbest complaints ever....

Beach had too much sand

Sand on the beach was white, not yellow like the brochure

(trip to Spain) Street signs weren’t in English, how are you supposed to get around or know where to go?

Med. cruise - sea was too noisy

Romania (I think) - store didn’t have my favorite British biscuits

I’m sure lots more....

My favorite one so far--

"We hated both our cabin (we had a jacuzzi in the middle of the room) and the ship (very crowded with no places to just sit and relax without having to buy something). The ship was obscenely large and crowded. It was embarrassing every time we docked in one of the Mediterranean destinations and the ship dominated the harbor."

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

I notice in several of these ranting reviews, the reviewer cites their conversations with "80%" of people who agree with them about everything and that NCL is horrible and would never return.  Obviously an exaggeration, but clearly meant to make them look justified in their review.  

80% of their imaginary friends.

• Haha 1