Lufthansa Seat Assignments

dbsb3233

I booked flights with Celebrity Flights for an upcoming cruise.  Combination of United and Lufthansa flights.  I'm pretty sure Celebrity uses some sort of group rate fares, and I read somewhere they don't actually ticket the flights until a few months before the flight (it's about 10 weeks prior now).  I do have record locators for each airline segment though.

I can go in now to United and select seats, no problem.  But Lufthansa tells me that I can't select seats until 23 hours before the flight, at check-in.  But it also shows "Not available" under the spot for Electronic Ticket Number(s).  Does that mean the flight hasn't been ticketed yet?  And does anyone know if seat assignments then become available on Lufthansa once it finally get ticketed?

I believe that all Economy booking classes except Economy Flex (and perhaps Basic Plus) can't choose seats for free until ~23 hours before departure, ie. when check-in opens. This ALSO applies for Premium Economy Basic. Which booking class are you booked in on Lufthansa?

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Almost positive Lufthansa doesn't allow seat selection for coach more than 23 hours prior to flight. Particularly for domestic flights.

I don't know about Lufthansa specifically, but this policy is not uncommon for European carriers...no seat selection if flying coach until 24 hours prior on domestic (intra-European) flights.

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Almost positive Lufthansa doesn't allow seat selection for coach more than 23 hours prior to flight. Particularly for domestic flights.

Maybe not for free, but they did for purchase on our last flight with them.  For both the "domestic" leg (Krakow to Frankfurt) and the international leg (Frankfurt to Denver).  For this cruise, we have Denver to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Dubai legs on Lufthansa.

On our last trip I booked through United directly (not a Celebrity flight add-on).  I booked Standard Economy through United.  That got free advanced seat assignment on the United flight legs, but not the Lufthansa ones.  But I was able to go into the reservation on the Lufthansa website and pay the $40 to choose advance seats for those legs. 

It's not even allowing me to do that this time.  I'm guessing that since ETNs aren't showing up either that the reservation simply isn't ticketed yet.  Hoping that when it is, the advanced seat assignment option becomes available (even if for a fee). 

Edited by dbsb3233

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow-up... As I hoped they might, the Lufthansa flights became available on their website to reserve seats (for a fee) today.  I've been checking once or twice a week.  We're a little over 6 weeks out from the flights.  That's about the time I've heard that group reservations like this actually get ticketed and become available.

Advanced seat assignments were $40 for one leg and $30 for the other (standard economy class). 

On 12/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, dbsb3233 said:

But it also shows "Not available" under the spot for Electronic Ticket Number(s).  Does that mean the flight hasn't been ticketed yet?  And does anyone know if seat assignments then become available on Lufthansa once it finally get ticketed?

I'm guessing that you have one through ticket issued by United  i.e. coupon 1 on United and coupon 2 on Lufthansa (they are both Star Alliance).  In which case, there is no Lufthansa ticket and never will be.  United will have to send LH your e-ticket details but it's quite possible they don't do that way in advance.  I don't know what the industry norm would be.