Baseball Caps

billydog

On recent Silhouette Caribbean cruise I saw 2 male passengers with M*G* baseball caps in the public areas on a number of occasions.

Also at dinner in Blue one dinner wore a baseball cap throughout (albeit not political) the meal.

I though Celebrity had rules around this?

19 minutes ago, billydog said:

On recent Silhouette Caribbean cruise I saw 2 male passengers with M*G* baseball caps in the public areas on a number of occasions.

Also at dinner in Blue one dinner wore a baseball cap throughout (albeit not political) the meal.

Caps in dining rooms for dinner is usually a no no.  Wasn’t aware of restrictions of political hats in public spaces.

• Like 2

There are rules about hats in the dining rooms. Unfortunately there are some  cruisers with no manners, and not all Maitre d's will enforce the rules. And then there are the obstreperous few who simply refuse to comply, even when asked.

Waiting for the poster who complains that some poor souls have medical conditions that necessitate wearing a baseball cap at all times.

• Like 1

Before I started cruising celebrity a couple of years ago I read on how they had standards for dressing in dinning room ,after seeing a gentleman and I am not sure if that is the correct term wearing a backwards baseball cap and cutoff shorts, although in general people are dressed much nicer than rccl . 

Edited by George C

29 minutes ago, George C said:

Before I started cruising celebrity a couple of years ago I read on how they had standards for dressing in dinning room ,after seeing a gentleman and I am not sure if that is the correct term wearing a backwards baseball cap and cutoff shorts, although in general people are dressed much nicer than rccl . 

A few years ago we were walking in the MDR one evening (still formal evenings at that time) and one of the staff at the podium asked the guy in front of us (dressed in a suit) to remove his hat (fedora). Kudos to her. 

3 hours ago, billydog said:

Welcome to the 21st Century where there are no rules due to the fact someone may become offended and cry harassment if you challenge them.  If a ball cap in the MDR is your biggest concern consider yourself lucky. I would rather look at a ball cap than a man bun. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Welcome to the 21st Century where there are no rules due to the fact someone may become offended and cry harassment if you challenge them.  If a ball cap in the MDR is your biggest concern consider yourself lucky. I would rather look at a ball cap than a man bun. 

Haha, we all have to realize at some point that styles change, whether it be caps, braids, or man buns.   Who knows, maybe the young hip folks will be wearing powdered wigs at some point in the future! 😁

Just now, ldubs said:

Haha, we all have to realize at some point that styles change, whether it be caps, braids, or man buns.   Who knows, maybe the young hip folks will be wearing powdered wigs at some point in the future! 😁

Metallic space suits may just be the thing needed to bring back formal nights...😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Metallic space suits may just be the thing needed to bring back formal nights...😁

That made me laugh!  😁 

Visions of Capt Kirk and his crew in the tight stretchy suits.  Looks good on Lt. Uhura, not so much on me.     😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mom says said:

There are rules about hats in the dining rooms. Unfortunately there are some  cruisers with no manners, and not all Maitre d's will enforce the rules. And then there are the obstreperous few who simply refuse to comply, even when asked.

Waiting for the poster who complains that some poor souls have medical conditions that necessitate wearing a baseball cap at all times.

I was taught as a child that polite people always took off their hats when entering a restaurant and never dining wearing a hat.

We live in a ruder and cruder world these days.    

Why wear a hat indoors?  About the only reason is that you have to find a place to put the hat.   If I was wearing a hat, I would put in behind by back with the brim inside my belt.  Problem solved.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I was taught as a child that polite people always took off their hats when entering a restaurant and never dining wearing a hat.

We live in a ruder and cruder world these days.    

Why wear a hat indoors?  About the only reason is that you have to find a place to put the hat.   If I was wearing a hat, I would put in behind by back with the brim inside my belt.  Problem solved.

I was brought up the same way. However I hate wearing hats and fought constantly with my mother during the winter months when she she forced me to wear one. Back in the day when hats were the height of fashion for women as well as men, establishments had a hat check for men to leave their hats. Now hats seem to be a statement rather than fashion or function unless you are using them as protection from the sun or hazardous work.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was brought up the same way. However I hate wearing hats and fought constantly with my mother during the winter months when she she forced me to wear one. Back in the day when hats were the height of fashion for women as well as men, establishments had a hat check for men to leave their hats. Now hats seem to be a statement rather than fashion or function unless you are using them as protection from the sun or hazardous work.

If you live in a climate where protection from the sun is essential, a hat is a necessity.  I learned that working on my Grandfather's ranch in south Texas in the Summer, as well as when I lived in Saudi Arabia for five years.

Covering your head is very important in those places, however, of no practical value indoors.  Yes, I suppose to some degree, hats, T-shirts, etc. can become ways to express yourself.   Regarding that, I am glad that I live in a country that protected the right to do that.  Still, I don't care for hats in a restaurant.   However, the standards are not what they once were and I must accept that.

• Like 1

In my case, as I have grown older I have also grown taller than my hair.  So I need to wear a hat any time I might be exposed to sunshine.  (I sunburned my scalp once while snorkeling, but that's another story.)  Around home it's usually a ball cap or wide brimmed sun hat.  In tropical areas I wear a Tilley hat.  Yes, I will wear my hat in public areas while going to and from my room but NEVER in a restaurant.  The hat comes off and sits on the table or on an empty chair.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, hcat said:

Public area fine, dining rooms,  no caps.  

There was a recent thread,..too bad search feature on CC no longer very helpful so we see alot of repeat questions,.

hcat- for what its worth, here it is!

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

i - from your photo, it appears that you have a full mane, so a hat or cap would interfere with its' flowing nature!

bon voyage

• Haha 1

The hats in restaurants is a no no for me.  I wear baseball caps and knit hats all the time in winter even indoors, I catch colds to easily and since I started doing this a few years ago less colds happen in the winter months, Im in NH btw.  I never pay attention to what the logos or hats say tbh.  Really I don't let that bother me at all.  But yes agree with everyone who says hats in restaurants is definitely not a good thing.   

• Like 1

I belong to an era now long gone but it kicks in now and then.  Upon entering a ship's elevator where several ladies were present, I removed my hat, turned and faced the doors.  I heard a chuckle and someone said, "Remember that?" :classic_smile:

• Like 1