Where to stay pre-cruise in Boston?

Beth and Bailey

We booked for October 2020 and plan to fly in a few days prior to the cruise.  I've never been so just looking at Airbnb's..... they give many neighborhoods to choose from.   Should we attempt to stay closer to the cruise port?  Any suggestions so we can make the most of our stay before sailing?  Of course I'm all about the food (live in small town in Kentucky).....but DH is about the history.

Thanks

You will find good info on the East Coast Departure board here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

The board you posted on is better for questions regarding stops in Canada/New England, not pre/post cruise options.

If you are coming for a few days, stay in the tourist areas.  Easy to get to the cruiseport on your departure day.  Airbnbs can be a good option, but Massachusetts is cracking down on them.  Requiring licenses, etc, so options have been dramatically reduced.

Hotels may be better for you.  Suggest you repost on the Departure board, include your budget and exact dates and how many people/beds you need.  If you know of a landmark or area you want to be close to (Freedom Trail, Fenway Park, Waterfront, Shopping, etc) include that, too.

• Like 1

Forget AirBnB. Boston is heavily cracking down on them.

You mention October. What are your dates, specifically? If it is around Head of the Charles (Oct 17-18), find a refundable hotel, and book NOW. Keep an eye on something later that might be cheaper, but you risk not getting a room.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My mom and I stayed at the Hilton near Faneuil Hall.  It was very walkable if you are in good shape.  It's also not too bad a walk to the ferry which is by a Marriott.  Mom can't walk long distances any more (she's 82), so walking the Freedom Trail was out for us.  We did take an Uber up to Warren Tavern for brunch and then walked over to Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution - she was exhausted by the end of that.  But then we took the ferry back and then had a couple glasses of wine at the Marriott before we walked back to the Hilton.

• 2 weeks later...

The port is in a more industrial wharf area, that had a lot of construction in October as it appeared that apartments, etc. were being built.  It was not a walking distance  to the historic area and even though I spotted a hotel or two there, I would not stay in this area if you are planning to do lots of sightseeing. 

My husband used to run the Boston Marathon every year and we stayed either in the area around Faneuil  Hall or Copley Square.  

Edited by sunsetbeachgal