Minimum CDG layover

laurieb

Looking at flights to VCE in early October with return BCN in early November; what would you consider a comfortable layover between flights at CDG?  Airline I’m looking at is Air France.  Other option on return is BA through LHR.

Thoughts on comfortable layover through ORD?  

Hoping to fly from and to Tucson 

10 hours ago, laurieb said:

Looking at flights to VCE in early October with return BCN in early November; what would you consider a comfortable layover between flights at CDG?  Airline I’m looking at is Air France.  Other option on return is BA through LHR.

Thoughts on comfortable layover through ORD?  

Hoping to fly from and to Tucson 

Comfortable at CDG?  2-3 hours.   I've connected there in both directions with 60-75 min and while I made it, I barely had time to spare, and made it largely due to having been through before (so reasonably familiar with the airport) and having access to priority lanes for immigration/security.  Oh, and I was seated in premium economy so rather close to the boarding door of the plane, meaning I was able to deplane quickly.  Even with those advantages, I'd prefer minimum 2 hours for myself, but would generally recommend 3 hours for someone else.  You will likely arrive and depart from terminal 2 in both directions, but T2 at CDG is spread out over multiple buildings.  You may have to walk quite a distance, or take a bus/tram, depending on which concourse you need to get to.

I've flown in and out of ORD but havene't connected there or cleared immigration /customs there so hesitate to offer specific advice, but minimum 2 hours upon arrival in the US is generally recommended.  You will clear immigration and customs, then security there upon your return to the US.

It really depends on your arriving and departing terminal.  We have been through LHR in under an hour.  Another time it was three hours because of security issue.  We walked much furher at CDG but on balance it was faster than taking a bus (if required) between LHR terminals.    We have done an hour in Frankfurt, Munich, and Gatwick with no issues whatsoever.  The other consideration is a late arrival for a connection.  Typically, if we are connecting for a transatlantic flight, our first flight is quiet early in the AM (6:30 in Venice for Lufthansa to Frankfurt) so there is less chance of late flight than if the plane had been operating all day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a connection at CDG. Astonishingly fast due to no lineup at passport control, less than 30 minutes even from the back of the airplane. But there have been times close to 2 hours.

My last connection in ORD, horrendous line in Customs, even with my NEXUS card it was an hour (terminal change).

There will anecdotal reports of breezing through CDG and anecdotal reports of slogging through CDG and barely making (or missing) the connecting flight. We have experienced both cases. Personally, I wouldn't book less than a two hour connection, even if a shorter time is "legal." 

I do not mind transiting through CDG.  That said, I always do a 2.5 hour or longer connection time at any airport where I'm making an international connection.   At CDG, if I manage to get through everything fast, there's always an AF lounge to spend some time in, or a Paul stand to grab a last-minute cheese-and-butter baguette, pick up some macarons or other goodies at the food areas in Duty Free...  I think all my flights CDG-USA on both AF and DL have left from pier M in T2E.  There is a wonderful AF lounge there!!!  

Edited by slidergirl

• 8 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 8:06 AM, waterbug123 said:

Comfortable at CDG?  2-3 hours.   I've connected there in both directions with 60-75 min and while I made it, I barely had time to spare, and made it largely due to having been through before (so reasonably familiar with the airport) and having access to priority lanes for immigration/security.  Oh, and I was seated in premium economy so rather close to the boarding door of the plane, meaning I was able to deplane quickly.  Even with those advantages, I'd prefer minimum 2 hours for myself, but would generally recommend 3 hours for someone else.  You will likely arrive and depart from terminal 2 in both directions, but T2 at CDG is spread out over multiple buildings.  You may have to walk quite a distance, or take a bus/tram, depending on which concourse you need to get to.

I've flown in and out of ORD but havene't connected there or cleared immigration /customs there so hesitate to offer specific advice, but minimum 2 hours upon arrival in the US is generally recommended.  You will clear immigration and customs, then security there upon your return to the US.

So is there a priority lane for Delta One/business class tickets through immigration?

On 9/26/2020 at 9:17 AM, irishgal432 said:

So is there a priority lane for Delta One/business class tickets through immigration?

Immigration has no priority with the airlines.   That is an airline benefit they are operating.    That I have ever seen.   I've always just directed to the regular lines,   nobody cares what class of flight you just got off of.    Only benefit you can be first in the increasing lines since your let off first.    

6 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Immigration has no priority with the airlines.   That is an airline benefit they are operating.    That I have ever seen.   I've always just directed to the regular lines,   nobody cares what class of flight you just got off of.    Only benefit you can be first in the increasing lines since your let off first.    

Disagree.  Depends on the airport and airlines.  There are "Express Path" immigration procedures for business/first passengers in Sydney, "Fast Track" at Heathrow and similar schemes at a number of other airports.  At CDG, you would look for the "Acces No 1" signs --  sometimes you need a special No 1 card from your carrier, sometimes your boarding pass will do.

13 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Disagree.  Depends on the airport and airlines.  There are "Express Path" immigration procedures for business/first passengers in Sydney, "Fast Track" at Heathrow and similar schemes at a number of other airports.  At CDG, you would look for the "Acces No 1" signs --  sometimes you need a special No 1 card from your carrier, sometimes your boarding pass will do.

I apologize,  I have never been directed to any special lines,  I'm always in the regular lines.   I also may have restrictions in place due to my ticketing anyway.   I last flew into CDG 1.5 years ago,  So not real recent information anyway.   I've flown into/out of international airports multiple time the past year,   Auckland,  Sydney,  3 one way trips,   Fco 4 times,  BCN 4 times,  EZE,  Scl      

Sorry,  I'm clueless.   

On 9/27/2020 at 6:50 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I agree....there are special access for Business passengers both international and domestic.... been through then 6 times last year....   Delta and Air France   and the Airfrance  exec lounge is great for food and drink any time.. UAL has them too      You are given a card to show... and while there is one line  there is really a side line to the left, ( as I remember) where you are sent it you have the card that comes in at the head or the other  line   My 8am flight to LAX took 25 min from taxi to gate...... Business however.