Why only 1 ship in the Caribbean?

TTU cruiser

It comes down to $$$. Caribbean crises are cheap and less profitable. Especially during hurricane season when you get a lot of complaints about why the ship isn't sailing into the storm because those are the ports that you really wanted to see. Alaska command top dollar. Then the med. 

On 12/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, Greek Boss said:

I agree with you. One of my biggest complaints being from the Northeast is that NCL always has the same weeklong Bahamas/Florida Itinerary from New York whereas Carnival and Royal at least change it up. The last several cruises on NCL have been out of Miami for us and while we have grown to love cruising from there, we are beginning to get the same feeling from their itineraries down there too. It was a legit complaint I had and discussed with many within corporate while we were on the 2 Day Encore Inaugural in NYC last month.

Unless you like 4 sea days and a stop in Port Canaveral, NYC is a lousy departure port for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  This is especially true in cold weather months, but, for us, also true in summer with a lot of potential drama during hurricane season.

I'm interested to know where they start putting the Leonardo ships when they are built.  It would have to be in an area where it would eat into another cruise lines business and not their own.  I'd have to think that another ship running in the Caribbean for the summer would be one area to consider.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:41 AM, wdsted said:

Unless you like 4 sea days and a stop in Port Canaveral, NYC is a lousy departure port for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  This is especially true in cold weather months, but, for us, also true in summer with a lot of potential drama during hurricane season.

It would be awesome if Norwegian could do the 9-12 Caribbean cruises they do in the winter and have it  again during the summer.  other cruises line that sail out of NYC do 8-12 day cruises to the Caribbean out in May and June

It seems for some odd reason, Norwegian is stuck in only doing the Bahamas/Florida cruises and Bermuda out of NYC during the summer months. i would love to see  something different out of NYC

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

It seems for some odd reason, Norwegian is stuck in only doing the Bahamas/Florida cruises and Bermuda out of NYC during the summer months. i would love to see  something different out of NYC

Agreed!

I would love to see NCL do some more (and more varied) New England/Canada cruises out of NYC.   Most of these are crowded into the early fall.  Would like to see more all summer.   Princess has a really interesting one next summer...it will go from NYC to Greenland and Iceland, and return...without going to Europe.   Very unusual....

I would also like to see some New England and Canada cruises all the way from Florida.  After all, if NCL can run two ships from New York to the Bahama's or Caribbean in midwinter, why can't they do the opposite?  And while at it, call at some of the other East Coast ports such as Savannah or Charleston along the way....

10 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Agreed!

I would love to see NCL do some more (and more varied) New England/Canada cruises out of NYC. 

This is why i am excited about my Norwegian Encore cruise in September: 

Portland, Maine
Saint John, Canada
Halifax, Canada
Sydney (Cape Breton Island), Canada
Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Canada

If this itinerary is successful, i am hoping that Norwegian will offer these type of itinerary again in the future 

15 minutes ago, bob brown said:

And while at it, call at some of the other East Coast ports such as Savannah or Charleston along the way....

That might be possible. If i remember correctly , the Norwegian Star did had a plan cruise out of Brooklyn, NYC that is going to these ports. Unfortunately that itinerary is in limbo with the issues the Star is having . would be awesome to see that this itinerary again  in the future 

51 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I'm interested to know where they start putting the Leonardo ships when they are built.  It would have to be in an area where it would eat into another cruise lines business and not their own.  I'd have to think that another ship running in the Caribbean for the summer would be one area to consider.

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

That might be possible. If i remember correctly , the Norwegian Star did had a plan cruise out of Brooklyn, NYC that is going to these ports. Unfortunately that itinerary is in limbo with the issues the Star is having . would be awesome to see that this itinerary again  in the future 

I think Baltimore would be an excellent port of call for one of the Leonardo class ships to compete with the Carnival Pride and Royal's Grandeur of the Seas but ONLY if, as we have all said, NCL is willing to expand their itineraries instead of the same old Bahamas/Florida. I've seen the Grandeur have 8 day itineraries that include Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Labadee Haiti, and Charleston while Carnival throws in Grand Turk. NCL really needs to change it up!

1 hour ago, Greek Boss said:

I think Baltimore would be an excellent port of call for one of the Leonardo class ships

Most ships in Leonardo's size range are to tall for the bridges entering Baltimore.  They haven't published enough info about the new ships to know for sure, but the template they are being based on has a tall, narrow superstructure.  Because of that I doubt it will be materially shorter than its 140,000 GT peers, but time will tell.

Still, even if a Leonardo ship can't fit, it could free up a smaller vessel to serve Baltimore, or they could try to attract Baltimore/DC cruisers with an itinerary out of Norfolk. 

But I agree, it would be nice if they manage to design the vessel to service Baltimore and other bridge limited ports.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

Most ships in Leonardo's size range are to tall for the bridges entering Baltimore.  They haven't published enough info about the new ships to know for sure, but the template they are being based on has a tall, narrow superstructure.  Because of that I doubt it will be materially shorter than its 140,000 GT peers, but time will tell.

Still, even if a Leonardo ship can't fit, it could free up a smaller vessel to serve Baltimore, or they could try to attract Baltimore/DC cruisers with an itinerary out of Norfolk. 

But I agree, it would be nice if they manage to design the vessel to service Baltimore and other bridge limited ports.

Ahh, I didn't realize that regarding the new ships height but like you said hopefully it opens up smaller vessels in that market. Being from right near the Mason-Dixon line it isn't the most ideal to go to NYC for Bahamas/Florida on NCL. I know opening up Baltimore or Norfolk would really be enticing for those folks south of Maryland/DC!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

Princess has a really interesting one next summer...it will go from NYC to Greenland and Iceland, and return...without going to Europe.   Very unusual....

NCL used to have a similar route called "Path of the Vikings," but it was a transatlantic, from London to NYC.  Not quite the same, but I hope they bring it back at some point, I wanted to do it as a retirement cruise when that time comes... 

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

Agreed!

I would love to see NCL do some more (and more varied) New England/Canada cruises out of NYC.   Most of these are crowded into the early fall.  Would like to see more all summer.   

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the selling point of Canada/N. England cruises to provide New Yorkers access to the foliage in the fall?

10 minutes ago, Twipenne said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the selling point of Canada/N. England cruises to provide New Yorkers access to the foliage in the fall?

Not really.  In Maine and the Maritimes you don't see a lot of fall foliage (at least I didn't this past September).

On 12/19/2019 at 12:02 PM, TTU cruiser said:

I meant that it makes it hard for me to justify cruising with Norwegian to go to destinations I have already been to.  I like variety in my vacations.  

Variety?? In the warmer months, you can sail to Alaska, Canada, New England, Bermuda, Europe, Panama Canal on NCL all from the US ports. It is crazy hot and humid in the Caribbean in the summer months plus it is hurricane season beginning in June. I feel like NCL offers lots of opportunities for variety. 7 day sailings to the Caribbean from Florida ports are going to have limited options due to distance and overcrowded port schedules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twipenne said:

That's true to a certain extant...the reason that New York in September thru November is jammed with lots of ships that do not call at other times.   But it is a delightful and scenic destination in the spring and fall, as well.   If New York based ships can sail from NY south in the winter, why not give Floridian's and those nearby a cruise to New England and Canada in the summer?

Some like the convenience of not flying, and don't mind the extra sea days to 'get there'.   And the opportunity to stop at other, seldom called at ports on the way...

As for seeing fall foliage....the coastal scenery pales in comparison to really seeing it inland on a motor trip...

59 minutes ago, sunny aurora said:

They have spoken of a very generic plan to send Leonardo ships to Europe and than send some of the older ships to new home ports in North America.

Curious where you have heard that information...

But....I like it.   I prefer Meyer Werft vessels...

3 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Curious where you have heard that information...

But....I like it.   I prefer Meyer Werft vessels...

Here you go

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/348148/ncl-seriously-looking-at-deploying-first-leonardo-ship-in-europe

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/314999/ncls-leonardo-class-to-sail-out-of-southampton

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greek Boss said:

I think Baltimore would be an excellent port of call for one of the Leonardo class ships to compete with the Carnival Pride and Royal's Grandeur of the Seas but ONLY if, as we have all said, NCL is willing to expand their itineraries instead of the same old Bahamas/Florida. I've seen the Grandeur have 8 day itineraries that include Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Labadee Haiti, and Charleston while Carnival throws in Grand Turk. NCL really needs to change it up!

I would also love to see a new ship and new cruise line in Baltimore.

But we will need Atlas to hold up the bridge so Leonardo can pass under.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:10 AM, TTU cruiser said:

Title says it all, Why does Norwegian only keep 1 ship in the Caribbean during the summer months?  It makes it really hard to book a NCL Cruise when he only ship is switching East and West itineraries that I have been on several times.

Probably answered a dozen time now, but I haven't read the answers: some lines do pull their ships from the Caribbean during the summer and place them in places like Alaska and Europe. Not as many as NCL but NCL seems to know what they are doing. there are many itineraries that attract guests than the Caribbean during the hot months and hurricane season. heck a lot of Florida residents spend summers away from Florida. That should be a clue.