Live from Sojourn

Isklaar

23 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Internet - fast enough on open decks but painfully slow in our suite. I had the most problems with my iPad. iPhone was faster, Mac Airbook was adequate. In the suite, where I set up my office,  it was so slow and unreliable (constantly cutting me off) that this may be a dealbreaker for future long cruises before I retire. We were on deck 6 midships, a location we're very familiar with but this was the worst internet service I've experienced on SB, with the exception perhaps of an infamous Odyssey cruise a few years ago. 

We were only the second 14-day segment of your cruise. (Sorry we didn't meet, or maybe we did and I didn't know it!)

I just wanted to tell you that my Internet experience was quite different -- and we were on Deck 6 midship (642). I had good connectivity on my MacBook Pro and iPhone when I used it. I never got kicked off (except once: at midnight the night we changed time zones, when I suspected they may have re-set/re-booted some systems and the Internet was down for about 5 minutes). I found Internet speed was acceptable for managing email and getting done some web-based work I needed to do, and faster late at night or other times when fewer people were likely to be online. So it may be that the performance you get varies at a very micro level of where your suite is versus the nearest wireless access point. 

Hi Cruiseej and Isklaar, 

We were in 646 and did get kicked off quite a few times.  Rarely used the net late at night, mostly daytime and noted iphone better than ipadPro. I expect, as you say Cruiseej, it is not only usage levels at time of day, but micro level proximity to the nearest router/access point. I have sometimes found that to affect hotel internet service, for sure.

Good to note Isklaar that you say crew exceptional. I know you cruise Seabourn much more often than I do. For us it was a return to the smaller Seabourn ships after a 4 year gap (although I have travelled on Encore in the interim) and I was delighted to discover that the crew was just as warm, friendly and genuinely helpful as I recalled them. I thoroughly enjoyed being back on the smaller Seabourn ship and will probably not revert to their larger ones in the next few years again, as we really loved so much of this smaller, more sociable experience.

Regarding the point mentioned earlier in this thread of how and when the larger, refillable bottles of Molton Brown toiletries would be cleaned and dealt with etc at the end of the cruise,  I noticed that ours were cleaned and refilled the night before  disembarkation. That seemed odd, as we used them subsequently, possibly not enough to be noticed, but they would certainly need to be cleaned again, even if not refilled, before anyone else could use them. Perhaps it was an impromptu attempt to counter some of the davit-related delay in Key West which was likely to impact the time available to clean the suites next morning? Wondering if anyone else notice this spruce up?  I am a bit of a neat freak and tend to spot these tiny things.  Yes, ok, it's a curse  - 🙂 or 😞 , as you please. 

Thanks cruiseej and auldlassie for sharing your thoughts about the internet issue. I'm in agreement that it's very likely to be due to proximity to a router/wireless access point. 

auldlassie, thank you for adding the information about the new MB toiletries bottles. I asked two different people and received two different responses.I didn't notice whether ours  had been refilled the night before disembarkation but certainly the delay in Key West could have been the reason yours were done earlier rather than later. 

On 12/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, twodjs said:

What bothered you about this process? Could you ask what the TDS (total dissolved solids) level is of the water? Good purified water (like Sparkletts for example) is about 25 parts per million. Tap water may read 400 ppm. I agree with others who have said it didn't taste as clean as expected. They can do better. 

Water bottle with filter.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brita-20-Ounce-Premium-Filtering-Water-Bottle-with-Filter-Double-Wall-Insulated-Stainless-Steel-Bottle-BPA-Free-Ocean/748660772?adid=1500000000000043087902&veh=eml

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Videopark said:

But our resident water purification expert (see above) says that the Brita pitcher (and I assume the Brita bottle is the same) will not help this kind of issue.  Perhaps he'll comment again.  

• Like 1

I believe I'm repeating myself, but I never did get used to the taste of the water. It was ok sometimes but mostly I found it unpleasant. 

It seems to be a case of what one is used to, ie taste quality of tap water at home. Friends of ours living in London had no issue with the taste of the SB water. Where we live the tap water is very different to that in London, I can drink it without needing to use a filter, plus I spend a lot of time in Sweden where the tap water also has a very clean taste. 

Not being precious here! We spent a few days in Miami before and after the cruise and as always, we were happy enough with the regular tap water offered in restaurants. 

Edited by Isklaar

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

But our resident water purification expert (see above) says that the Brita pitcher (and I assume the Brita bottle is the same) will not help this kind of issue.  Perhaps he'll comment again.  

True but the complaints about taste and the size of the bottle may help offer a solution. The filter may indeed be different in the bottle.

2 hours ago, Videopark said:

True but the complaints about taste and the size of the bottle may help offer a solution. The filter may indeed be different in the bottle.

This is certainly possible.  I like the look and size of the bottle.  

3 hours ago, Videopark said:

Brita is simply a charcoal filter - doesn't matter if it is a bottle or pitcher. If you are used to good quality purified water, it won't do the job. The Zero Water product does remove dissolved solids, so it should provide good, clean tasting water, but I have never tried it. I had hoped someone on the ship would ask about the process used there and specifically the TDS of the water bottled on the ship. I haven't seen the answers posted yet.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:21 AM, Isklaar said:

I believe I'm repeating myself, but I never did get used to the taste of the water. It was ok sometimes but mostly I found it unpleasant. 

It seems to be a case of what one is used to, ie taste quality of tap water at home. Friends of ours living in London had no issue with the taste of the SB water. Where we live the tap water is very different to that in London, I can drink it without needing to use a filter, plus I spend a lot of time in Sweden where the tap water also has a very clean taste. 

Not being precious here! We spent a few days in Miami before and after the cruise and as always, we were happy enough with the regular tap water offered in restaurants. 

Thanks for all your thoughts. I remember discussing issues on this board around the Ovation ships when we sailed this time last year. Sounds like you found your experience on the smaller ship to be more inline with your previous experiences/expectations? Or do you think SB is improving as it gets used to the larger ships and fleet?

On water, are you required to drink this purified water or can you ask for brand waters in both your cabin and around the ship?

2 hours ago, teamflames said:

Thanks for all your thoughts. I remember discussing issues on this board around the Ovation ships when we sailed this time last year. Sounds like you found your experience on the smaller ship to be more inline with your previous experiences/expectations? Or do you think SB is improving as it gets used to the larger ships and fleet?

On water, are you required to drink this purified water or can you ask for brand waters in both your cabin and around the ship?

Smaller ship experience much more inline with previous, although there was IMO, a period when the small ships seemed to have their own blip as staff were moved over for the Encore launch. Ovation is a beautiful ship, but for several reasons I am now extremely reluctant to cruise on it again, unlikely to try Encore for the same reasons. 

I do have concerns about there being another blip as staff are moved over to the two upcoming new ships, hopefully a short time after Venture is launched things settle down again. 

You can ask for brand water, Perrier and Evian appeared to be the ones most often available.

Edited by Isklaar

We also had our first experience with a “large” Seabourn ship in December (Ovation -  Dubai to Singapore) and I have tried to let my thoughts gel since we have returned home rather than make a snap judgment. All in all though now that the dust has settled I have to conclude that we won’t be seeking out cruises on the Encore and Ovation but if there was an irresistible itinerary we would consider it.   

Edited by Chairsin
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:13 PM, Qld13 said:

If I am reading this correctly Seabourn have done away with the small MB bottles? My wife won't be happy, a lot of places are now doing this. She does not like it as there is no telling that the bottle or pump top have been hygienically cleaned from the last guest. Are they topped up or replaced when empty?

"Hygienically cleaning" the soap bottles?  I could not imagine calculating the likelihood of some random disease being passed on via the pump on a soap bottle. Infinitesimally small.  

Our first cruise was on the Seabourn Spirit from Rome to Istanbul the night Italy won the world Cup. I thought I had gone to cruise heaven with its 208 passengers and fabulous staff. That was followed with a couple of great trips on the Pride prior to our first experience on the Odyssey, which we thought had brought Seabourn down an awful lot due to the addition of so many new employees needing fast training. We are now many years later and reminiscing of the good old days of the the smaller  Odyssey class ships. I guess we call it progress, I'm just happy to have so many great choices these days of cruise lines able to take us to all corners of the earth while still young and healthy. 

Our next lucky trip is next month on the Sojourn, and while I still loved the Pride as the best way to travel, I'll adjust to the new water bottles  and soap pretty fast, its the sacrifices one makes these days. 

10 hours ago, JPH814 said:

"Hygienically cleaning" the soap bottles?  I could not imagine calculating the likelihood of some random disease being passed on via the pump on a soap bottle. Infinitesimally small.  

I tend to agree but I doubt my wife will she doesn’t like anything reused in bathrooms. On another point how do we know that the product in the refillable container is what is advertised?

9 hours ago, teamflames said:

I tend to agree but I doubt my wife will she doesn’t like anything reused in bathrooms. On another point how do we know that the product in the refillable container is what is advertised?

How do we know anything is what we are told. Cheap vodka poured into Kettle One bottles? Grand Mariner in the soufflé or cheap orange liqueur?  Did that comedian in the club really appear on Conan?  

Am I going to spend my vacation Playing detective or chill out and enjoy?  

• Like 2

Complimentary Wine Selections - Extended Holiday sailing - Sojourn 10 December 2019 - 4 January 2020

White 

La Scolca, Gavi, Piedmonte, Italy

Santa Margarita, Pinot Grigio, Valdadige, Italy

Maison Louis Latour, Grand Ardèche Chardonnay, France

Sebastiani Chardonnay, North Coast, Calif. USA

Virgina Dare Chardonnay, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, Calif. USA

Gruber Roschitz, Riesling, Niederosterreich, Austria

Clarendelle, Bordeaux Blend, Bordeaux, France

Feudi Di San Gregori, Greco di Tufo, Campania, Italy

Paco and Lola 'Lolo' Albarino, Rias Baixas, Spain

Mahan Sauvignon Blanc, Nelson, New Zealand

Flanagan 'Riley's Row's' Sauvignon Blanc, North Coast, Calif. USA

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

Red

Canepa "Finisimo" Cabernet Sauvignon, Colchagua Valley, Chile

Betz Family Vineyards L 'Elegance, Columbia Valley, Washington State, USA

Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County, Calif. USA

Bodegas LAN, Rioja Crianza, Spain

Trivento Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina

Gerard Betrand Nature Merlot, Southern France

Masi Poderi BellOvile Serego Alighieri, Tuscany, Italy

Castello Banfi Chianti Superiore, Tuscany, Italy

Chateau Latour Camblanes, Bordeaux, France

Intipalka Reserve Cabernet, Petit Verdot, Peru

Terlato and Chapoutier Shiraz/Viognier Australia

9 Hats Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington, USA

Cardwell Hills Pinot Noir, Willematte, Oregon, USA

Sparkling/Rosé/Sauternes

Mautadon, Champagne ,France

Centine Maschio, Prosecco, Italy

Beringer Main and Vine White Zinfandel, USA

M. Chapoutier Belleruche Rosé, France

Roquesante Provence Rosé, France

Domaine Sichel Sauternes, Bordeaux, France.

I definitely prefer the new champagne to the NF. I like my champagne a tad more dry than the Mautadon, but it's far gentler to my palate than the rough NF and it does not give me heartburn as the NF did so it's a win from me!

As ever, I was able to find several wines that were perfectly drinkable (for my taste) amongst the included wines. 

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 2

This is my favorite among the complimentary white wines:  Clarendelle, Bordeaux Blend, Bordeaux, France   Evidently, it is a favorite of others as well,  as Sojourn ran out of it on our Kobe to Vancouver itinerary last May/June.  

Edited by SLSD

8 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Complimentary Wine Selections - Extended Holiday sailing - Sojourn 10 December 2019 - 4 January 2020

White 

La Scolca, Gavi, Piedmonte, Italy

Santa Margarita, Pinot Grigio, Valdadige, Italy

Maison Louis Latour, Grand Ardèche Chardonnay, France

Sebastiani Chardonnay, North Coast, Calif. USA

Virgina Dare Chardonnay, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, Calif. USA

Gruber Roschitz, Riesling, Niederosterreich, Austria

Clarendelle, Bordeaux Blend, Bordeaux, France

Feudi Di San Gregori, Greco di Tufo, Campania, Italy

Paco and Lola 'Lolo' Albarino, Rias Baixas, Spain

Mahan Sauvignon Blanc, Nelson, New Zealand

Flanagan 'Riley's Row's' Sauvignon Blanc, North Coast, Calif. USA

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

Red

Canepa "Finisimo" Cabernet Sauvignon, Colchagua Valley, Chile

Betz Family Vineyards L 'Elegance, Columbia Valley, Washington State, USA

Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County, Calif. USA

Bodegas LAN, Rioja Crianza, Spain

Trivento Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina

Gerard Betrand Nature Merlot, Southern France

Masi Poderi BellOvile Serego Alighieri, Tuscany, Italy

Castello Banfi Chianti Superiore, Tuscany, Italy

Chateau Latour Camblanes, Bordeaux, France

Intipalka Reserve Cabernet, Petit Verdot, Peru

Terlato and Chapoutier Shiraz/Viognier Australia

9 Hats Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington, USA

Cardwell Hills Pinot Noir, Willematte, Oregon, USA

Sparkling/Rosé/Sauternes

Mautadon, Champagne ,France

Centine Maschio, Prosecco, Italy

Beringer Main and Vine White Zinfandel, USA

M. Chapoutier Belleruche Rosé, France

Roquesante Provence Rosé, France

Domaine Sichel Sauternes, Bordeaux, France.

I definitely prefer the new champagne to the NF. I like my champagne a tad more dry than the Mautadon, but it's far gentler to my palate than the rough NF and it does not give me heartburn as the NF did so it's a win from me!

As ever, I was able to find several wines that were perfectly drinkable (for my taste) amongst the included wines. 

Thanks for posting that, I can’t remember, does this change per sailing? Were all those wines available and at all times?

Do you have any lists/menus of spirits/cocktails?

Getting excited for our second Seabourn in April