Star Breeze Reno delayed therefore Feb 2020 sailings cancelled

CanadianKate

34 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

So happy for you.  Let us know how Silversea compares.  Sorry we didn't get to meet you.

Yeah. We were looking forward to making new friends and I’m sorry that in the end all were not as fortunate as we were. Again, this is now the third time our wonderful TA bailed us out, although even he said that WS almost brought him to his knees. 

• Like 1

Heads up those who have rebooked: 

My rebooking counted as a new booking as far as the Pick Your Perks offer is concerned so I ended up with a much larger shipboard credit than I expected. 

Because the Christmas holidays meant my TA wasn't able to rebook me immediately and I was worried that the crossing I wanted would sell out*, I called WS directly to rebook. I didn't know about Pick Your Perks. My TA didn't catch that it was missing from my booking but her assistant called WS to confirm that WS had received all the docs needed for the unrefunded expenses and the WS agent went over my current booking and noted PyP was missing and added it.  

So, once again, WS staff were extremely helpful to us.

* So much for the crossing selling out, there are 47 empty cabins on it. As my TA said, less competition for spa bookings to spend that credit on! 

1 hour ago, CanadianKate said:

Heads up those who have rebooked: 

My rebooking counted as a new booking as far as the Pick Your Perks offer is concerned so I ended up with a much larger shipboard credit than I expected. 

Because the Christmas holidays meant my TA wasn't able to rebook me immediately and I was worried that the crossing I wanted would sell out*, I called WS directly to rebook. I didn't know about Pick Your Perks. My TA didn't catch that it was missing from my booking but her assistant called WS to confirm that WS had received all the docs needed for the unrefunded expenses and the WS agent went over my current booking and noted PyP was missing and added it.  

So, once again, WS staff were extremely helpful to us.

* So much for the crossing selling out, there are 47 empty cabins on it. As my TA said, less competition for spa bookings to spend that credit on! 

To the best of my knowledge, crossings never sell out.

On 12/24/2019 at 7:23 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think it actually works the other way:  Carnival makes very little profit on their cruise fares (it's the nickel and diming where they rake it in), so they are being generous out of their own pockets.  Windstar charges so much more that they should take better care of their customers.

Economy of scale comes into play here though.  

I found out last night that my reimbursement has been approved (two AiBnB's and change fees for airfare) and the check is being cut and mailed this Friday.

I uploaded my request with documentation on 1/12, so that might be a benchmark for some still waiting.

8 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I found out last night that my reimbursement has been approved (two AiBnB's and change fees for airfare) and the check is being cut and mailed this Friday.

I uploaded my request with documentation on 1/12, so that might be a benchmark for some still waiting.

Lucky you! Our over $3000 refund, submitted the first week in January, is still under review.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, CanadianKate said:

Mine request has gone in but just last week. One of the airfares is dodgy as the airline didn't refund all the taxes. My dh handled that call because currently our airline does not allow one to talk to them until 24 hours before a flight and our booking couldn't be touched online. So I put him on hold for the hours because he has special access due to his FF level and I had errands to run. It wasn't bad, just 45 minutes but when I looked at the final paperwork, I realized they refunded just one tax not 3. So he called in again (an hour on hold) and the answer was too-bad, so-sad, we can't do anything about it. 

We may end up being out some money (not much but it is the principal of the matter.) 

My latest concern is our replacement flights have a 43 minute layover and I get to change terminals in Newark. That must be doable and 'legal' since the airline sold me the ticket, except our first flight has averaged 101 minutes late over the past 30 days with a 20% ontime rate. With only 1 flight a day to PR, I don't fancy waiting 24 hours for the next flight. I have trip insurance but that won't cover increased costs if I have to take another routing. That's my bad, I thought that was what I was buying. 

43 Minutes is extraordinarily tight for EWR.  My best suggestion would be to go to either google flights or ita matrix and search for all the one-way flights that fit within your time frame, print it out and have it handy. If you misconnect, assuming you're one one ticket, the airline has a responsibility to rebook you, but you may need to be proactive and a bit pushy. As in "I see [airline xxx] has a flight at 2:45, can you get us on there. No, then how about this... Sometimes it helps to call rather than wait in line - or actually get in line while you're also calling. Also check your reservation on the app - the airline may have aready rebooked you.  Be sure that they don't cancel your return as a no-show - it happens.

While we're talking about this, does anyone have any recent updates on the status of Breeze? I checked on the tracker app right now and it isn't showing up, which most likely means she's still in dry dock with the transponder turned off.

I have Star Breeze showing in San Juan. My TA finally received the refund of our deposit two days ago. Have still heard nothing about the reimbursement of our non-refundable costs but we were advised they would pay a maximum of USD350 each so good luck with your claim for $3000 @ridethetide unless of course us Kiwis don’t qualify for a refund of our actual costs. Thankful for insurance!

20 minutes ago, Kiwi Brenda said:

I have Star Breeze showing in San Juan. My TA finally received the refund of our deposit two days ago. Have still heard nothing about the reimbursement of our non-refundable costs but we were advised they would pay a maximum of USD350 each so good luck with your claim for $3000 @ridethetide unless of course us Kiwis don’t qualify for a refund of our actual costs. Thankful for insurance!

How odd. the cruisetracker app isn't showing the "where is this ship now" button.

24 minutes ago, Kiwi Brenda said:

I took option #1 and rebooked the cruise so I am entitled to a complete refund of travel expenses.  There is no $350 limit for option #1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milepig said:

43 Minutes is extraordinarily tight for EWR.  My best suggestion would be to go to either google flights or ita matrix and search for all the one-way flights that fit within your time frame, print it out and have it handy. If you misconnect, assuming you're one one ticket, the airline has a responsibility to rebook you, but you may need to be proactive and a bit pushy. As in "I see [airline xxx] has a flight at 2:45, can you get us on there. No, then how about this... Sometimes it helps to call rather than wait in line - or actually get in line while you're also calling. Also check your reservation on the app - the airline may have aready rebooked you.  Be sure that they don't cancel your return as a no-show - it happens.

I, too, would not be comfortable with 43 minutes in Newark, especially if it involves a change of terminal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milepig said:

While we're talking about this, does anyone have any recent updates on the status of Breeze? I checked on the tracker app right now and it isn't showing up, which most likely means she's still in dry dock with the transponder turned off.

This is the last I saw about the Breeze. Engine swap this week. 

09D98987-AE12-4347-B099-A2D3444AC8A3.png

@ridethetide this would’ve been our first Windstar cruise so will not cruise with them after this as we booked a five week holiday around the cruise and had to scramble to reorganise our entire holiday - very stressful and a lot of work and extra $$$ because I booked everything so far in advance at good prices. Long way to go for a holiday and no way we could just reschedule.

The location of Star Breeze was from an app called Shipmate which I’ve just found so no idea how reliable it is 😉

15 hours ago, Kiwi Brenda said:

@ridethetide this would’ve been our first Windstar cruise so will not cruise with them after this as we booked a five week holiday around the cruise and had to scramble to reorganise our entire holiday - very stressful and a lot of work and extra $$$ because I booked everything so far in advance at good prices. Long way to go for a holiday and no way we could just reschedule.

The location of Star Breeze was from an app called Shipmate which I’ve just found so no idea how reliable it is 😉

I don’t know shipmate, but it indeed shows the Breeze in PR. I cross checked the Legend, CruiseMapper shows her around BVI which according to her itin is where she should be. Shipmate shows her In the Gulf of Mexico Which is where she is not. I don’t know if I’d rely on shipmate. Other experiences, anyone?

6 minutes ago, milepig said:

I don’t know shipmate, but it indeed shows the Breeze in PR. I cross checked the Legend, CruiseMapper shows her around BVI which according to her itin is where she should be. Shipmate shows her In the Gulf of Mexico Which is where she is not. I don’t know if I’d rely on shipmate. Other experiences, anyone?

Marine traffic dates for Star Breeze shows an Oct. 2019 date

Cruisemapper shows the intended itinerary (not happening).

33 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

Marine traffic dates for Star Breeze shows an Oct. 2019 date

Cruisemapper shows the intended itinerary (not happening).

Yeah. The itins haven’t been updated but at least in the past the current location in cruise mapper has been current.

The last time she showed was on her way into dry dock in Sicily and then she disappeared when the tracking was turned off. 

Edited by milepig

20 hours ago, milepig said:

We made it only because the in-bound was early. The weather in Indianapolis (where the plane was ping-ponging to before our flight) was also excellent so the padded schedule worked. But I would never book that connection again because it was only due to luck that we made it. 

Another wrinkle, carry-on luggage is not allowed on the first flight so we had to gate check which added 13 minutes to the transfer. 

That connection is only possible if the plane is on time and you do not have any carry-on luggage, or if the plane is early. Otherwise, it is not possible. 

We're loving San Juan and intend to return some time for a longer winter stay, without a cruise attached to it. We are having a hard time leaving our hotel room to do things because we are enjoying sitting on our terrace too much.