Christmas activities

LynnenRob

We were on the Valor a couple weeks ago. They had a "tree lighting" ceremony the evening of day 1, but it wasn't much of a lighting. Instead of a countdown to light the tree, someone simply flipped the switch while the CD was talking about something. One second it was off, the next it was on...right in the middle of his conversation. It was pretty anti-climactic. Then they sang some Christmas carols. They had a Christmas related trivia one day. They put on a small Christmas performance with the kids from the kids' clubs. They sang, the CD did a cruise version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and the Grinch & Santa made an appearance. On the last night, they made it snow in the Lobby, held an ugly Christmas sweater contest, and sang Christmas carols. I didn't watch any of the Dive-In movies, but I don't think any of them were Christmas movies. I'd have to look back at our Fun Times.

Santa comes to visit in the atrium on Christmas Eve, and sometimes it "snows!"  Special Christmas dinner, kids clubs put on a holiday show in the afternoon, free eggnog - spiked and unspiked -at least on the ships we have been on for Christmas.   Christmas music played throughout ship on speakers.  

• Like 1

On Liberty December 2. They had a tree lighting first night, it was so pretty! The lights were synchronized to the Carol of the Bells song, the lobby and Promenade were all decorated very nicely. There was an Ugly Sweater contest (my friend and I were second!), dining rooms were decorated, trees at lots of places. Dive in movies were Christmas themed, I.e. The Grinch. Following the sweater contest, we sang Christmas carols and it snowed! I think the activities on each ship depend on the Cruise Director. Ours was MarQ who does a fantastic job! Hope you enjoy your Christmas cruise!

We just got back and there was lots of Christmas (and Hanukkah) around.

Tree lighting, decorations, Santa comes, holiday show, holiday themed trivia, letters to Santa, lots of Christmas in the kid clubs, some of the ships have "snow", and several holiday movies.

Individual groups planned services, ugly sweater parties, gift exchanges, and of course holiday door decorating and duck hiding.

Each port also has a bit of holiday cheer. It's very festive and fun. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 4:13 PM, stellarose said:

Hanukkah stuff too???? 

The couple of times we have sailed CCL during Hanukah, they had a menorah lighting each evening.  It was held in a small spot opposite the piano bar.  They had latkas, fruit and wine.  The first night was sparsely attended.  Each night from then on many more attended - just to get the latkas.  Each time it was run by a Jewish member of the crew - very informal.

Just returned from Dec23-28th cruise on Elation.  I agree with everything Organized Chaos posted.

The crew did pass out santa hats with Carnival logo during the tree lighting.  They also passed out bracelets with 4 bells attached.  Quantities were limited; not everyone received them.  Around the atrium bar was the best place to get stuff.

I added my own decoration to the cabin door with items purchased from the Dollar Tree.  

Also, the dining rooms had Christmas trees.  That was it.

Edited by GreakLakes
More details