Sailing Solo- sign to hold your place at the table or bar

oakridger

I sail solo  most of the time and made myself a sign on a neon colored 3X5 card that said "I'll be right back!".  When I found a table in the buffet and left to get my food I left the card at my place as well as when I got up mid meal to get extras or dessert. The waiters all loved the idea and I've not had my food removed or chair taken since.  It worked great at the bar for bathroom breaks too!!! 

I even lent it to a couple other solos at the bar when they left for the bathroom.  It makes a great conversation piece too 😊!

Happy solo sailing,

~Nancy

I'll Be Right Back!.jpg

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I sail solo  most of the time and made myself a sign on a neon colored 3X5 card that said "I'll be right back!".  When I found a table in the buffet and left to get my food I left the card at my place as well as when I got up mid meal to get extras or dessert. The waiters all loved the idea and I've not had my food removed or chair taken since.  It worked great at the bar for bathroom breaks too!!! 

I even lent it to a couple other solos at the bar when they left for the bathroom.  It makes a great conversation piece too 😊!

Happy solo sailing,

~Nancy

I'll Be Right Back!.jpg

Great idea. I often leave my glasses case, but I jad been thinking along simolar lines. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I can see tables in the buffet, particularly next to the windows being swamped with signs like these, unfortunately  they will be used by many people as a means to reserve tables, whilst they are in the pool or gone for a smoke. Just look at how many towels appear on the sun loungers early in the morning, and yet they don't come into contact with a human until well after lunch.

I am sorry, in my personal opinion I don't want to see anything like this on cruise ships, its the thin end of the wedge. If this catches on how long before you go to the theatre to find tacky signs on chairs but no people sitting in them, signs on chairs in the library, but again, no people sitting there. Thanks but no thanks. Just my personal opinion. 

• Like 1

gerryuk.  I see your point.  It's too bad so many people are so rude and uncaring these days that it even becomes an issue of chair hogs and such.  I use the sign and I do come "right back" because I am considerate and honest towards my fellow cruisers and waiters.  That's why I didn't even consider the possibility of bad behaving passengers using such signs.  Sad.

~Nancy  

• Like 1

Nancy,I think your "I"ll be right back" sign is great!  The fact that you do come right back shows that you are considerate of others. So I think it is thoughtful. My friend and I were on a recent Princess cruise and left our books on the table by the window, thinking that would make it obvious that we were in the buffet line and were coming back. We weren't gone long and when I came back, I did a double take...did I forget which table? No, someone else sat down...because the tables around still had dirty dishes! But then they apologized for not noticing our books!

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

gerryuk.  I see your point.  It's too bad so many people are so rude and uncaring these days that it even becomes an issue of chair hogs and such.  I use the sign and I do come "right back" because I am considerate and honest towards my fellow cruisers and waiters.  That's why I didn't even consider the possibility of bad behaving passengers using such signs.  Sad.

~Nancy  

I am like you. No suspicious mind. Keep up the glass half full and trust your fellow man. It pays off in my experience.

I'm about to take my first solo cruise at the end of January. I had been thinking about just simply flagging down whatever server or bus boy was in my section and letting him know I'm going up to the buffet. 

Another trick I did once when having lunch by myself during a family cruise- I put together a small extra dish of food. Just something simple like a couple of cookies or salad, and used it as sort of a prop or place holder plate. Then if I wanted to go back up to get more food or refill my drink, I'd just put it at my seat with a fork on it like I was still in the middle of the meal. 

It also works well to 'reserve' the extra seat at your table if you want to be sure to dine alone. Just looks like you're with someone who has stepped away from the table. 

• Like 1

What a good idea! Useful in settings other than a cruise.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:11 AM, oakridger said:

Happy solo sailing,

~Nancy

I'll Be Right Back!.jpg

I wonder if it would work on clueless fellow cruisers? 

I was recently on a cruise downunder. Most of it was absolutely fine. But there was one American (Texan accent but not tagging home as such) who did not understand that solos deserve just as much respect as those with a companion.

I'm sitting in the bar next to the IC. There's no one in the other chair. So he moved all the dirty dishes from the bar and puts it in front of the empty chair. I look at up and ask him what hes doing and he asks is someone sitting there. I say no but he continues putting the empty plates there. The waitress immediately came over and removed all of the plates apologizing for him. Which was not her place. So he turns around to leave and he's got a cloth napkin with him. Guess where he puts that? You're right. On my table.

Totally clueless!!

Hi Ombud, I live very near you!  So far the sign has worked for me as no one has taken my seat nor has the waiter removed my partially eaten food or drinks. The small percent of totally clueless/rude people will never be aware, or care, about what's going on around them so I doubt anything can be done about them.  

~Nancy

• Like 1