Star Legend Refit Rescheduled – Cruises Cancelled

Host Jazzbeau

Windstar just notified me that:

We are writing to inform you that the above Star Legend voyage [Spanish Serenade, Sep 29-Oct 7, 2020] you are scheduled to travel on has been cancelled.

As you may know, the Star Breeze is in the process of being renovated as part of our $250 Million Star Plus Initiative to provide major enhancements to the onboard experience. Due to the complexity of the work, the time in the shipyard has been extended and is affecting the schedule for Star Pride and Star Legend. As an unfortunate result, this delay means we must cancel your voyage.

They are offering two options:

(1) rebook another Windstar cruise and get $100 pp OBC + 20% FCC of cruise fare and NDA amounts of the cancelled cruise + reimbursement of non-refundable expenses in full

(2) cancel and get full refund + 10% FCC of cruise fare and NDA amounts of the cancelled cruise + reimbursement of expenses up to $350 pp

and so it goes. This has to hit them big time.  Unless they cough up a whole lot more than their first offer for our Breeze cancellation in June we'll be canceling all our future itins and walking away from WS.  This is really bad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CanadianKate said:

Hmmm, the Legend is part of my recovery plan from the cancelled Breeze. 

At this moment WS, legend or otherwise, has no place in my future travel plans given the poor compensation offered. 

Edited by milepig

14 minutes ago, milepig said:

At this moment WS, legend or otherwise, has no place in my future travel plans given the poor compensation offered. 

WS has all my 2019/2020 travel money in their hands. I either rebook with them or give up traveling this winter at all.  Anything all-inclusive or cruise will require payment in full on booking because I'm within 60 days of traveling. 

Edited by CanadianKate

1 minute ago, CanadianKate said:

WS has all my 2019/2020 travel money in their hands. I either rebook with them or give up traveling this winter all. 

I’m in better shape, other than Alaska going down the cruise all we have is a $100 deposit on something for 2021, which my TA can get back, I’m sure. Thank goodness we’re doing mostly land based stuff in 2020. 

As I said in the Breeze thread, the killer is all the stuff we’ve booked and paid for in Alaska and Vancouver pre and post cruise, not to mention the airfare, that WS won’t come close to covering with their measly $350. 

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Windstar just notified me that:

We are writing to inform you that the above Star Legend voyage [Spanish Serenade, Sep 29-Oct 7, 2020] you are scheduled to travel on has been cancelled.

As you may know, the Star Breeze is in the process of being renovated as part of our $250 Million Star Plus Initiative to provide major enhancements to the onboard experience. Due to the complexity of the work, the time in the shipyard has been extended and is affecting the schedule for Star Pride and Star Legend. As an unfortunate result, this delay means we must cancel your voyage.

They are offering two options:

(1) rebook another Windstar cruise and get $100 pp OBC + 20% FCC of cruise fare and NDA amounts of the cancelled cruise + reimbursement of non-refundable expenses in full

(2) cancel and get full refund + 10% FCC of cruise fare and NDA amounts of the cancelled cruise + reimbursement of expenses up to $350 pp

Our June Alaska itinerary on the Breeze was cancelled and I considered rebooking on the August itinerary.  I wonder if the ship will be ready by then or we might go through another cancellation!!!!  This is so disappointing.

We are only in the small deposit with Windstar, but I have paid for airfare and have many hotel and tour reservations on the two week DIY pre- and post- sections.  I would like to take advantage of the more generous re-booking option, but at this point it's impossible for me to tell which Windstar offerings are still going forward.  Also, if the refits for Legend and Breeze have been postponed, shouldn't that mean that some new itineraries are available in the previously blocked-out periods?  I hope my TA can help me figure this out – and also plan B, plan C, etc.

Host Jazzbeau:

I highly recommend you keep checking www.windstarwizard.com. It appears to update overnight each night and was completely accurate in my case. 

The CSR I talked to said they'd be bringing on new itineraries for high demand areas. I was questioning if my rebooked cruise would be cancelled since the Legend should now going into refit later. (It makes no business sense to move her back to Europe in Feb and taking her out of service while the Breeze is also out of service.) She assured me my new cruise must be going ahead or else they wouldn't have accepted me rebooking on it (at the much discounted rate.) 

I'm guessing they are keeping the Feb 1 Legend cruise in place to handle T-ATL nerds such as myself rebooking from the cancelled LIS - MIA cruise, who just wanted to be on the water, not in port. 

Our James Beard London to Lisbon was cancelled.  We’ve rebooked on the Surf for the Baltic’s.  The price was considerably higher but they are giving it to us for the same as the cancelled cruise, allowing us to apply the FCC towards it to cover the almost double port fees and taxes, and reimbursing for the non-refundable monies we had in AirBnB reservations and airfare change fees.  The airfare will be higher, but we’re overall satisfied as long as they do uphold things as they say they will.  

• 1 month later...

We were notified in early January by our TA that the 7/17/20 Dublin to Reykjavik Windstar Legend cruise was being cancelled.  After years of watching Windstar while sailing 9 other cruise lines for 33 cruises, we finally pulled the trigger - only to have the trip cancelled!  We are awaiting our refund....

We will look elsewhere to replace this cruise as we continue planning this year for our 50th wedding celebrations.

On 12/20/2019 at 10:12 AM, milepig said:

After all your negative posts and comments about Windstar, I bet they are really sorry to Lose you.

Honestly, I'd be leery now to book any cruise on the motor yachts, and that's all I've sailed, several times......because, how do you know there won't be another 'oops' domino effect going forward?  I'd feel better once the renovations are done.

I just booked a Celebrity S Caribbean cruise...will be the first time for us on Celebrity.

Edited by jmbklj

7 minutes ago, jmbklj said:

Honestly, I'd be leery now to book any cruise on the motor yachts, and that's all I've sailed, several times......because, how do you know there won't be another 'oops' domino effect going forward?  I'd feel better once the renovations are done.

Can't argue with that logic.  For those who are flexible, there will probably be some great Windstar yacht offers as they get close to the sail date because of cancellations, changed itineraries, and worries about the new dry dock schedules.  But since I like to plan as far ahead as possible, I have now filled the hole that Windstar left in my 2020 plans and have already booked out 2021 and planned out 2022 without Windstar.  By the time I'm ready for new bookings, all three yachts had better be finished (and reviewed)!

Love the Surf and are booked to go next week.  We loved the Pride's East coast cruise  and transition to Puerto Rico last year and also the Legend in Alaska. Would not hesitate to book again ...but only after the refit is done !