one ocean expedition scam

docbmw

We booked an Antarctica cruise on one ocean expedition for Dec 2019 with $9634 deposit was made 5/9/2018. May 28, 2019 we received an email and then a letter saying that the cruise was cancelled. There was no solution on swapping it to another cruise that year or the next so a mutual agreement was made to get a refund within 90 days. i have emailed the company on multiple occasions. they keep apologizing but no refund as of 12/19/2019. My contact person has left which no one told me about. I feel this is getting put off so that they can say that they aren't liable after a certain period of time. I put a complaint thru Better business bureau in 11/2019 and no one contacted them back, so the bbb closed the case. This is a lot of money to lose. Anyone else have success with getting your money back?

Didn't get travel insurance yet because they hadn't given us a date yet. Tried with the credit card. They said since we didn't get sick or die, they won't pay. Trying to fight it but not holding my breath. Thanks

Unfortunately not the first, and haven't heard of anyone getting a refund. Insurance is the suggestion for your best hope (so not much option if you don't have that).

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/another-antarctica-cruise-is-axed-as-passengers-count-their-losses/

Edited by The_Big_M

I didn't think Australian insurance policies covered passengers for insolvency, unlike the UK where passengers are covered by  Government policies. 

So sorry for your loss of so much money.  I'd be suspicious of cruise lines which ask for such large deposits $9634, so far in advance.

It's been about 8 years ago now but I booked a cruise through a U.S. east coast company for a Croatian cruise.  The company went out of business just a couple days before we were to leave.  My insurance would not cover because the company needed to declare bankruptcy for coverage to be in effect.   And, that is what was stated in the policy.  Unbelievable!!

On 12/20/2019 at 7:33 PM, LHT28 said:

Did you put in a dispute with your credit card company??

Have Travel insurance ?

i tried with chase united. they have declined, but i have asked to relook at it and waiting for them to respond. didn't have travel insurance because it was 1.5 yrs later and we didn't have dates to ask for insurance. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2020 at 2:00 AM, docbmw said:

i tried with chase united. they have declined, but i have asked to relook at it and waiting for them to respond. didn't have travel insurance because it was 1.5 yrs later and we didn't have dates to ask for insurance. 

For future reference, you do have the dates of the cruise, so buy insurance for your expected dates of travel (pick a few days on either side of the cruise), and then once you purchase your air, modify your travel insurance policy.

And this:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/One-Ocean-Expeditions-Cancels-Another-Voyage

Seeking potential investors to allow them to continue to operate. And a post that their office doors are locked and show no sign of life.

And, more importantly this from January

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article/one-ocean-expeditions-goes-under/

They're gone - "into administration" essentially means bankrupt.