Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

21 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Let's say the ship does sail, do you really want to be on a ship without much of the dining room?   I would be on the phone with Carnival looking to move to another ship.  The early person has the best options.

Hey, for me just part of the adventure. If the ship was still sailing I would not move to another ship. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pksundevil said:

Which is why I looked at January sailings... so either all of January is completely sold out, or the ability to book has been pulled from the schedule.  Pretty sure I know which it is.

Jan 19th sailing has been sold out for a little while now.  A few weeks at least.  

On 12/20/2019 at 8:48 AM, jaowel said:

According to John Healds page, there is no issue with it's seaworthiness. So hopefully the repairs can be done at sea and in ports. Fingers crossed!!

I'm sure that you are correct on this. The ships' crew always does maintenance while the ship is in service. My guess is that they will close off the damaged area, bring in more workmen and parts, and make repairs while the ship is underway.  If they discover that additional parts are needed, they can be delivered to the next port.  It will be interesting to see how they accomplish it.

4 hours ago, toad455 said:

$100 OBC to use in one day. The bars & shops on the Glory are going to be very busy today.

I'm sure most people have more than a $100 bill already, considering tips, beverages, excursions, pictures, etc. It's just less money hitting the credit card.

• Like 1

We just got off NCL Escape today. We were in Cozumel on Thursday. NCL usually docks at Punta Langosta pier. However they had us dock at Puerta Maya pier because of the waves and wind already that morning and the Escape is a big ship and it’s harder for them to dock down that way (I was told) when the sea is rough. 

Skies were an overcast and a few sprinkles and sun here and there. By the time we returned to the ship (4:30) the wind was picking up even more to the point it was very hard to be on the upper outside decks right after pulling out. Pulling out of Cozumel the waves were 8.4’ high. Throughout the night waves were a little over 14’. The ship was definitely rocking that night and the following sea day (but I’ve been on worse with much higher waves).

We were told that they had storms the past 2 days in Cozumel before we had arrived.

I certainly hope that everyone is able to enjoy their cruise including those that are booked after the ship returns. I’m so glad no one was seriously injured. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Navy shipyards are totally different from commercial shipyards.  If that takes more than 10-14 days to repair, and most could be done underway, I'd be surprised.

This would be a great outcome for those on her now and those scheduled to sail next week.

As usual, thanks for bringing us your knowledge and expertise.

I saw the Glory in Montego Bay on Wednesday. I was on a Princess ship. I'm glad it was docked quite a ways away from our ship. I've seen other close calls in person and remember watching video of HAL ships collide in Vancouver this spring. Perhaps now people will believe the captain when he says it's too windy to dock.

20191218_094900.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, jsglow said:

Meaning that they can safely get the existing passengers onboard back to New Orleans and she isn't going to sink on the way.  You people are dreaming if you think she isn't going out of service for many weeks.  That's structural iron.  She's gone.  Maybe by her scheduled sailing this weekend.

Or maybe not.

Edited by ParrotRob
  • Like 3

On 12/20/2019 at 11:21 AM, kctwinmommy said:

Wow! That is crazy for sure! And listening to the videos, you can hear just how windy it was! I've personally never experienced any of the insane winds at some of these ports, but I know I've read a lot about them.

We found out first hand about high winds in costa maya. The blow holes on the pier shot water up in the air. My granddaughter and i happen to be boarding on the gangway and the wind lifted the gangway up and we were holding on for dear life. Had we fallen it would of been in that space between ship and pier. Once inside it was ankle deep in water all the way to elevators where water blew in.  

Wind is a powerful thing and i sure have respect for being very careful in high wind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Official word is that Glory leaves at midnight tomorrow for Christmas week, with Cozumel moved from Tuesday to Friday. 

Confirmed,  we received the letter also. Boarding delayed 2 hours all aboard at 5pm and sailing out at midnight on 22 Dec

Edited by cruisegus
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

Confirmed,  we received the letter also. Boarding delayed 2 hours all aboard at 5pm and sailing out at midnight on 22 Dec

I'm sorry for being "that guy", but at midnight it'll then be December 23rd.  :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I'm sorry for being "that guy", but at midnight it'll then be December 23rd.  :classic_wink:

I am also, midnight is 2400 hrs and still belongs to the 22nd.  The 23rd starts at 00:01.  But then does it really matter, I'll be enjoying my cruise all the same.  😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, Steve551 said:

It might. I hope that you purchased insurance...

Wouldn't that be up to Carnival since it's their fault?  Now if hotels and flights were booked that are non-refundable that would be different.

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

I am also, midnight is 2400 hrs and still belongs to the 22nd.  The 23rd starts at 00:01.  But then does it really matter, I'll be enjoying my cruise all the same.  😀

I have only ever known midnight to be the start of the new day. In 24-hour (military) time, midnight can also be 00:00. When I served many years ago, midnight was "zero hundred hours." The start of the new day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

We found out first hand about high winds in costa maya.

Omgosh, we were there in April, on a different ship, and it was horrible. I wasn't sure we were going to get away from the pier. The captain had to do like a 3 point turn in a car to get us out of there. It took quite a while for us to leave. 

I haven't read all the replies in this thread, but I saw on another site that there were 7 ships in Cozumel that day. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to be there with that many people, and if it was that windy, skipping that port would have been fine. I've been on a windy cruise before when almost every port some excursions were canceled, and one port was skipped altogether. There was this one guy at guest services---"I've been on 40 cruises and this is the WORST one ever". 

I've been on several, and haven't gotten to that "worst one ever" yet. 🙂 

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

KP stands for Kings Point, my alma mater that is my avatar, and 75 is my graduation year.

First,

Again thanks for your input over the years.

Based on other posts in prior years and prior threads, by doing the math I thought 75 might be your graduation year but didn't want to jump to conclusions.  Over the years you have corrected me on some of my assumptions questions, and statements and I appreciate that.  So didn't want make a mistake again

I missed the avator and Kings Point in regards tot the "kp" portion of your screen name.

Happy Holidays and hope you will be enjoying time with your grandchildren.

All damage to the Carnival Glory is way above the waterline. Most of the cleanup to the Dining Rooms will take place while the ship is still in service. Structural steel work repairs will most likely take place at a shipyard when there is an opening in the shipyards schedule. It appears that a drydock for the actual repairs shouldn’t be necessary since the damage is above the waterline. A wet dock reservation will be required to repair the damage. Once a shipyard spot becomes available I’m guessing structural steel repairs should take less than two weeks. Freeport would the cheapest option for all the required repairs providing there is availability there.

Update from Oasis after "Meal with an Officer".  At this lunch for top tier members in the loyalty program was the Oasis Staff Captain.  

The Staff Captain believes drift occured placing the Glory off her intended approach and closer to the piers (and Legend).  Likely a combination of unexpected current and the wind.  The Oasis and Glory were in radio communication.  The long call on the Glory's whistle was just basic seamanship.  Oasis was in an "alert" condition as Glory approached ready to react but they didn't need to absent of any contact between the ships.  

Oasis did not operate her bow thrusters to push Glory away as has been speculated by some.  Operating the thrusters is a planned event, they can't just hit the switch whenever they want.  They consume a lot of energy, additional engines have to be online to operate them among other prerequisites before they can use them.

They reviewed security cameras after the event and the two ships were close.  Very close. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1