Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

2 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Who would want to go on this ship before it is seriously worked over and made whole?  

I am supposed to go on this ship on the 29th of December. I hope we’re able to still go. I don’t care is a small bit of the dining room is messed up. I’ve got this trip planned out. I would hate to have to cancel it. A little bit of inconvenience will be ok. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Hello ballfour4,

Sorry if my comment sounds flawed I wanted it to be easier to understand for people who do not know nautical terminology to understand what I was saying. I digress.

So I'm actually a deck officer in the commercial ships and have been up there first hand and on deck for the pilot evolution as we call it. The way it goes when you approach a port the ship calls the pilot and arranges a time. The ship comes in at the speed requested and the pilot boat comes along side. The pilot then boards and someone brings him up to the bridge. Then the real fun begins. 

It starts with a master pilot conference where the pilot and master speak about the plan of how the ship will enter, how they will dock, tugs how many and where and about how long it will take. After that they sign some papers and the pilot takes the conn. We then transit to the dock. During this time the captain is on the bridge, pilot usually sits with coffee and his screen, the healmmen is steering and the other officers are standing by the engine order telegraph. The pilot gives orders and the ship moves accordingly based on speed and rudder commands. The captain or any officer or the helmen can at any time object to the pilots commands. We then call for all hands which means standing by the mooring stations. At that point the officers give distances on how far the ship is from a specific point. Then you dock and the pilot gets off and the evolution is over. Maybe add or subtract a couple of things but that's the entire evolution that went on the bridge. It's standard procedure no matter what ship. 

My guess based on the video they didnt get a good distance and hit the other ship. Or they shouldn't have gone in at all. The examples I gave were based on personal experience in the industry and on ships and not cruise ship accidents. 

While the pilot does conn the captain has the ultimate say at the end of the day. He still calls the shots. When stuff goes wrong he gets blamed. Not the pilot. Some ports dont require pilots or for them to really do anything on the bridge but in this case more than likely a pilot was on the bridge conning. 

I think it was just a bad decision to go in. Could have made a better decision. I haven't been to Galveston but I've been to Houston and going through the oil fields is a good time... I hope my response clears up the confusion for you :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Who would want to go on this ship before it is seriously worked over and made whole?  

Who? Most of the people who have it booked, paid for, have made all their travel arrangements (flights, hotels, etc.), have gotten vacation time off work, are ready for a cruise vacation...

Other than having to close off a relatively small section of the aft MDR (upper & lower levels), passengers can't even tell there's something different. Except when they're in port and can see it from off the ship. It's like driving a car with a dented fender.

• Like 6

I would and still going in a month.  It's just a "fender bender".  Only the back corner of the main dining room affected.  Not a deal breaker at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Me.  In 7 days.  I can do without 300+ square feet on two different levels and still have a wonderful cruise.  We only eat in the MDR maybe three nights a cruise anyway...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sailorgrl7392 said:

Hello ballfour4,

Sorry if my comment sounds flawed I wanted it to be easier to understand for people who do not know nautical terminology to understand what I was saying. 

I’m the one that needs to apologize. And I am sorry for being curt. 

I’m close enough to listen in to the pilots in both Galveston and Houston and USCG. I also regularly navigate the channel here in Galveston. Neither of those make me an expert. 

This event proves how Mother Nature can deceive even the best of the best. Whatever the title on that bridge of those men and women things got worse quickly. 

I have real respect for wind and water. I’ve seen just what both have done to our home(s) over the years with hurricanes Alecia, Ike and Harvey. 

I carry a VHF or ham rig (or both) when we cruise and it’s a fascinating listen. 
 To both you and Cheng75 thanks for the clarity. 

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 4

So they've canceled the platinum room and diverted everyone to the my dining time or whatever in the gold dining room - then made multiple announcements trying to convince everyone to just forego the lines and go eat on the buffets upstairs. 

Why do I feel like this is one of those "inconvenience everyone and just placate those who come complain" situations? Why not open premium dining experiences to make up the difference or something?

This is only my second cruise and first with a kid. Kinda disappointed we can't start out in the dining room without the ominous voice on the speaker advising against it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WLHyatt said:

I have friends onboard right now, about 30 of them. They are saying the same thing. Aft dining room closed, being directed to midship and Lido. I can't imagine how busy both of those places are.

That's odd, because this picture shows they've built a temporary wall, covered it with a banner (trying to keep it from looking so unsightly), and have set up the tables. Water glasses and pitchers are set up, the pitchers are full. Why would they make the effort just to keep it closed? Maybe it'll reopen before the cruise is over. Or on the next cruise.

uc?export=view&id=1CMxbihYd7o9yJ4ozK7U3-

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Organized Chaos said:

That's odd, because this picture shows they've built a temporary wall, covered it with a banner (trying to keep it from looking so unsightly), and have set up the tables. Water glasses and pitchers are set up, the pitchers are full. Why would they make the effort just to keep it closed? Maybe it'll reopen before the cruise is over. Or on the next cruise.

Agreed, but I have heard it from two different families and one poster on page 14 that I do not know (or at least, don't think I know).

I’m sure that tonight the Aft dining is closed. Cmon people they’re still working on it. Probably will for a couple of nights  till they can get to a stopping place. I would imagine that probably the first elegant night on the ship will have part of the Adt dining room open. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, funkidd said:

I’m sure that tonight the Aft dining is closed. Cmon people they’re still working on it. Probably will for a couple of nights  till they can get to a stopping place. I would imagine that probably the first elegant night on the ship will have part of the Adt dining room open. 

Well said, thank you!

• Like 1

That is what I am thinking. If they are actively welding/grinding/painting tonight they would need it closed. That would also mean that tomorrow it will open while at sea because it would be hard to do that making 20 kts.

All things considered even with those inconveniences, I am envious of my friends who are aboard right now.

The lines were horrific going into the main dining rooms. We ended up at the buffet, also with crazy long lines. Over 900 kids on the ship, and the muster drill didn't end until almost 6, so everyone was going up at once. I'm hoping on other nights timing will be more spaced out. 

Other than that, no indication of anything other than business as usual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched the video today on repairs. Being in the construction safety business, it totally makes sense the MDR was closed.

They were placing steel plate with the Link Belt crane. The first plate spun like a top. Welding requires fire watch and always includes very noisy grinding.

Trust me, dinner would not be fun with grinding 30 to 50 feet away.

• Like 2