Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

It will be interesting to see how this repair evolves.  I wonder if they will install more steel plates on the rear and then rebuild the interior the best they can.   Perhaps this will be the fix until the next dry dock or maybe the will a repair period the next time they put out a schedule.

I feel sorry for any cabins surrounding the damaged area of the ship.  No doubt they will be working long hours to fix the repairs and it will interfere with the calm of the stateroom.  We once had a suite that was under the pool and they were doing repairs in the middle of the night with a jackhammer!  Horrible and it did ruin our nights sleep.  We did receive generous compensation however!  Not a Carnival ship-

On 12/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, chengkp75 said:

Typically, the officers at the mooring stations have laser range finders (think golf range finders) to give them the distances.  From a comment posted by twangster that the wind was blowing from the Oasis towards the Legend, I think that the stern thrusters were counteracting this wind, and then when the stern passed into the wind shadow of the Legend, the removal of this wind force allowed the stern to swing into the wind (toward the Legend) before the thrusters could be reduced or reversed, and certainly before the inertia could be reversed.

Are you suprised how well the Legend's lines held during the collision?

6 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

Are you suprised how well the Legend's lines held during the collision?

5 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Yes? She got run into by a 100k Ton+ Ship, Also she did have to reset some of her lines after being hit though.

The mooring line winches have a band brake on them, and the band brake is set (wound on tight enough) so that the brake will slip before the mooring lines break, so in most cases, the ship will move away from the dock as the lines run out, and they will need to fire up the winches again and pull the ship back alongside.

Also, a note, Carnival Glory does not weigh 100k tons, that is her volume.  I would be surprised if her "displacement" (or weight) is more than 50k tons.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The mooring line winches have a band brake on them, and the band brake is set (wound on tight enough) so that the brake will slip before the mooring lines break, so in most cases, the ship will move away from the dock as the lines run out, and they will need to fire up the winches again and pull the ship back alongside.

Also, a note, Carnival Glory does not weigh 100k tons, that is her volume.  I would be surprised if her "displacement" (or weight) is more than 50k tons.

The point of my comment was that the Legend is not as big and was stationary and the Glory hit her so yes there was a lot of momentum there.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I think the nautical industry labelled a measure of volume as "gross tonnage" just to confuse those of us who are not sailors. To a layman, "tonnage" sounds like a measure of weight.

2 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I think the nautical industry labelled a measure of volume as "gross tonnage" just to confuse those of us who are not sailors. To a layman, "tonnage" sounds like a measure of weight.

Well, it goes back a long way.  A ship's "tonnage" was originally determined by the tax paid on the number of "tuns" it could carry.  A tun is a large cask of beer or wine, defined as "equal to 4 hogsheads".  So, that is where "tonnage" comes from.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Back Corner looks pretty fixed? They must have worked through the night to get the majority done as well as putting the plating on. 

That isn't fixed at all.  It's just patched.  Although, I am impressed how fast they were able to make that significant of a patch.  

5 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I am YTD on the Glory February 2, and if there is a bit of a wait, that’s time for a nice cocktail at the bar! 😎🍸🍹🍷

It's folks like you that need to be concerned.  I don't know what Carnival's plans are; sail around with a tarp-covered patch until the next scheduled dry dock, or get in to a facility sooner to actually make the fix.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I foresee a couple canceled cruises in the very near future.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

That isn't fixed at all.  It's just patched.  Although, I am impressed how fast they were able to make that significant of a patch.  

It's folks like you that need to be concerned.  I don't know what Carnival's plans are; sail around with a tarp-covered patch until the next scheduled dry dock, or get in to a facility sooner to actually make the fix.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I foresee a couple canceled cruises in the very near future.  

I'd be willing to bet that it will be cropped and renewed in service over the next few cruises.  My scenario would be that they are pulling back wiring and disconnecting piping and blanking it during this cruise, and cutting some of the misc. stuff out of the way.  Next NOLA, they will start cutting out sections, then next cruise dressing the edges, and the next NOLA start lifting pre-fab sections into place.  After the structural deck is repaired, the rest can be done underway inside whatever temp shelter they provide until the outside can be closed in with the windows.  Probably go for a couple of overnights in NOLA, carving out a day from each cruise.  Heck, they may even start to cut away the deck and bulwark now, lowering it to the deck below until they get back to NOLA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'd be willing to bet that it will be cropped and renewed in service over the next few cruises.  My scenario would be that they are pulling back wiring and disconnecting piping and blanking it during this cruise, and cutting some of the misc. stuff out of the way.  Next NOLA, they will start cutting out sections, then next cruise dressing the edges, and the next NOLA start lifting pre-fab sections into place.  After the structural deck is repaired, the rest can be done underway inside whatever temp shelter they provide until the outside can be closed in with the windows.  Probably go for a couple of overnights in NOLA, carving out a day from each cruise.  Heck, they may even start to cut away the deck and bulwark now, lowering it to the deck below until they get back to NOLA.

Super interesting pot on a potential fix.  

One just has to look at what was done with RCI's Oasis earlier this year to have an idea as to how this might be repaired.  While the repairs there may not have been as significant, it gives an idea.  There were deck sections waiting in Cadiz so when the ship arrived all they had to do was prep the area and weld in the repair sections.

The area on Glory that needs to be repaired I'm sure has been measured.  New sections will be pre-fabricated and if the proper crews and crane(s) can be on-hand in NOLA they might be able to effect the deck repairs dock-side during turnaround, even if they are done in sections or welding is completed while under way.

Chief,

Thanks again for providing clear information about how this may go down. Would they use the original prints of the ship to fabricate the new section to replace the damaged section? If they have all the drawings they likely would need minimal additional measurements outside of the exact dimensions of the damage.

2 minutes ago, LasseKjus said:

I don’t know if you get off if you are getting OBC, but I would doubt it. 

I’m hoping people do get off and keep the lines down.  

If the dining room opens tonight, that will help. If was very smelly in that area (welding smell).  Hopefully that gets fixed by dinner. 

But, if you are staying on board, a 1 day refund plus $100?  I hear plans are still to hit all 3 ports.  Are the crew angsty or is it business as usual on board (despite the additional meal crowds?)

5 minutes ago, topofE said:

This post is stressing me out with all the experts who KNOW that it will be cancelled and then the experts who KNOW that it will keep sailing.  

There is one guy in this thread whose comments I take seriously - @chengkp75 - and his comments so far have been directly on point.  The rest are noise.  Choose not to be stressed.  

My son-in-law texted me with the first twitter video a few minutes after the collision happened asking "Isn't the Glory the ship you are on for NYE?"  Yes, Duck, we are on the Glory for NYE.

I want/need a vacation, so I went ahead and found a room in NOLA for the duration just in case.  I can cancel the reservervation up to 12/29 with no penalty, so I have a backup.  Yes, it is a VERY expensive backup plan, but we love NOLA so spending a few extra days there won't hurt us much.

You have time to put together a pretty good Plan B.  Put it together, and be ready to pull the plug on it just before you get on the boat 🙂

• Like 5

A little longer wait on dinner than normal, a bit colder out with the overnight delay in leaving, otherwise the crew are smiling and pleasant and we are cruising.

Seems like 18 folks decided the leave for the full refund offer, some seemed quite nasty to the security staff as they left.  Looks like we will make all ports just in the new order.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, it goes back a long way.  A ship's "tonnage" was originally determined by the tax paid on the number of "tuns" it could carry.  A tun is a large cask of beer or wine, defined as "equal to 4 hogsheads".  So, that is where "tonnage" comes from.

As much as I appreciate your technical explanations, I love reading your historical why this and why that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1