Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

1 hour ago, WLHyatt said:

Chief,

Thanks again for providing clear information about how this may go down. Would they use the original prints of the ship to fabricate the new section to replace the damaged section? If they have all the drawings they likely would need minimal additional measurements outside of the exact dimensions of the damage.

Yes, sections will be built from the original drawings.  However, because measuring on curved edges and such are not precise, they will build a section a little bigger than what they have cut away, and then once the new section is brought in and set near it's final location, they will trial fit, scoot it back and trim the cut out as needed, then scoot the new section back in, look at what still needs to be cropped out, and so forth.  2-4 trial fits are typical, and can be done in 6-8 hours.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

The point of my comment was that the Legend is not as big and was stationary and the Glory hit her so yes there was a lot of momentum there.

And I think the Chief's point is that the momentum you speak of is directly proportional to the MASS of the ship, not the 100k tonnage, that's all.

7 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Back Corner looks pretty fixed? They must have worked through the night to get the majority done as well as putting the plating on. 

That's not plating. The entire rear corner that was damaged is housed in white plastic. They essentially gun taped some white tarp material over the damaged area to keep wind/rain from coming in, so the workers can complete the work needed.

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

CD just reported to Glory passengers that all dining for rest of this cruise “22 Dec” will be in your assigned dining room and at regular times. All ports are to be made at this time

That's awesome.  Sounds like they've recovered quite nicely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean_B said:

That's not plating. The entire rear corner that was damaged is housed in white plastic. They essentially gun taped some white tarp material over the damaged area to keep wind/rain from coming in, so the workers can complete the work needed.

In the following post you can see them lifting and welding plates into place before wrapping it with tarps.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:48 PM, BallFour4 said:

I’m the one that needs to apologize. And I am sorry for being curt. 

I’m close enough to listen in to the pilots in both Galveston and Houston and USCG. I also regularly navigate the channel here in Galveston. Neither of those make me an expert. 

This event proves how Mother Nature can deceive even the best of the best. Whatever the title on that bridge of those men and women things got worse quickly. 

I have real respect for wind and water. I’ve seen just what both have done to our home(s) over the years with hurricanes Alecia, Ike and Harvey. 

I carry a VHF or ham rig (or both) when we cruise and it’s a fascinating listen. 
 To both you and Cheng75 thanks for the clarity. 

Have you ever seen them play "texas chicken"? i suggest if you haven't go to into the channel and see it play out. 

I think sometimes they try to live up to the promise that they will go in no matter what or they are under pressure from the company. it's sad what happened. 

hope you enjoy the radio talk. it can be a lot of fun to listen too sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Sean_B said:

There's video (posted in this thread) of workers welding up the plating on the starboard side.

Comment #328 on page 14:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2717877-well-thatll-leave-a-mark-glory-damaged-in-cozumel/page/14/?tab=comments#comment-58991068

10 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Is that a picture from today??  If so, they did a darn good job of the repair!

If you look carefully you will note that there are no Windows on the stern starboard corner. There is a video earlier in the thread that shows workers welding some temporary steel plates in place and then wrapping the area with some sort of material.

• Like 1

So we are heading on the Glory the 26th. I can tell you first hand I worked on Cruise ships for 5 years, been on hundreds of sailings and been through everything pretty much possible. The glory will NOT cancel any sailings. As of now the damagae appears to be superficial and will not impact much other then missing a few table from the dining room. 

Now if they do decide to take it out of service ( but i dought it) it will be after the new years cruise and not need a drydock at all. Most likely will either dock in New orleans for a week or two, or if the docks are full go to another dock such as mobil possibly. Time will only tell. I would love to hear from passengers on the this sailing and new years to see if there was that much disruption in the dining, but i cant imagine it would be that bad.  

22 hours ago, cruisegus said:

CD just reported to Glory passengers that all dining for rest of this cruise “22 Dec” will be in your assigned dining room and at regular times. All ports are to be made at this time

3 minutes ago, SouthernHiker said:

I'm on this ship on Dec. 29.  Anyone heard any updates on how this is impacting meals (dinner)? Just curious. We are are looking forward to the trip either way. 

See above post from CruiseGus.

14 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

Ahhh - might be some metal on the one side but nothing like a fix of a lot of plastic tarps and duct tape on the back

2783065891736462https://www.facebook.com/FOX8NOLA/videos/2783065891736462/

They were able to weld plates of equal length on the starboard side. That made it easier for that side. And I'm guessing added some needed structural support temporarily. But with the way the stern on Conquest class ships is designed, how it slopes outward, then inward, plus the fact that the impact bent the outer corner down, it was probably just a heck of a lot easier (and yes, cheaper) to cover it with tarps.

All good on cruise ship now, meals as normal in all dinning rooms. Made port in Costa Maya on time and to schedule.  Should be smooth sailing on way back.  I might suspect a slight delay next cruise leaving NOLA,  and some delays leaving on future cruises until repairs finished.  I can tell you I am still happy to be on this cruise and fully satisfied with services 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

All good on cruise ship now, meals as normal in all dinning rooms. Made port in Costa Maya on time and to schedule.  Should be smooth sailing on way back.  I might suspect a slight delay next cruise leaving NOLA,  and some delays leaving on future cruises until repairs finished.  I can tell you I am still happy to be on this cruise and fully satisfied with services 

Awesome, this is what I had hoped to hear. I had seen the earlier post about dining times be back "as scheduled."  But wondered if that were more optimistic Carnival speak than reality.  

Good to hear its going well. Can't wait to get aboard in a few days.  Merry Christmas!

I was amazed a how the Legend didnt budge (or have any of its bow appear to be damaged) during that scrape.   Shows how well built a ship it is .. and how well the lines were tied too, i think (from a non expert, anyway!)  

• Like 1