Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

1 minute ago, F27TW said:

Were  😞 

There is no change in plans for Carnival. Back to normal.  Let's be real here, a hole in the dining room is about part and parcel for the Carnival ship maintenance/conditions anyways.  Nothing some duct tape can't address.  Seaworthy.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

There is no change in plans for Carnival. Back to normal.  Let's be real here, a hole in the dining room is about part and parcel for the Carnival ship maintenance/conditions anyways.  Nothing some duct tape can't address.  Seaworthy.

Agreed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierShipmate said:

We’re sailing with you too - let’s hope 🙂

According to John Healds page, there is no issue with it's seaworthiness. So hopefully the repairs can be done at sea and in ports. Fingers crossed!!

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Greg said:

If that's the dining room, it's the breakfast dining room. Hope nobody was injured. I wonder if we'll get some video from inside the dining room.

It's 3 pages long now so I don't blame you for not catching the comment.  One guest had a minor injury during evacuation of the dining room but all is fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Gorilla tape is better.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jaowel said:

According to John Healds page, there is no issue with it's seaworthiness. So hopefully the repairs can be done at sea and in ports. Fingers crossed!!

Meaning that they can safely get the existing passengers onboard back to New Orleans and she isn't going to sink on the way.  You people are dreaming if you think she isn't going out of service for many weeks.  That's structural iron.  She's gone.  Maybe by her scheduled sailing this weekend.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We're in Cozumel ....it has been very windy the last couple of days.....this morning at 6am while having a cup of coffee in the lobby of our hotel accross the street from the downtown pier all of a sudden the NCL Dawn shows up going full power right by the pier and back out the sea....We've been on 25+ cruises and I have never seen a move like that....good day to be on land.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The main damage is to the 3rd and 4th floor dining areas, assumably the entire rear areas are out of commission for a while.  That doesn't affect sea operations but will make meals, especially dinner a challenge.  There may be other structural issues, those will be pending inspections.  Inspections may delay departure of both ships from port. 

Apparently (details differ), someone was observant enough to notice what was happening and got everyone to evacuate the dining rooms (which hopefully were not too crowded).  One person at least was injured in the scramble (one report indicated a broken arm, one a broken leg, one a sprain) enough to require treatment, there may have been other minor bruises, etc.

There is no information on who was actually at the helm.  For a docking maneuver it was likely ship staff under direction of a harbor pilot, but usually for the docking itself the pilots role is complete in many ports.

The main culprit appears to be a wind gust at just the wrong moment that the thrusters could not handle.   A main question will be were there tugs in use and if not, should they have been, given conditions.

(Snarky note - taking bets on how many people are at Guest Services demanding compensation)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Monica887 said:

We have a crazy early flight tomorrow morning to borad the Glory on Sunday. We do have trip insurance but obviously need to make arrangements if we need to make a change. Now what?!

I would call Carnival customer service and keep checking your emails.

6 minutes ago, Loonbeam said:

(Snarky note - taking bets on how many people are at Guest Services demanding compensation)

TBH, I kinda wouldn't blame the Glory passengers if they were....  But odds are they'll definitely get something.  The best thing for the passengers to do right now is NOT get in the way as the ship's crew figure things out.

• Like 3

Just now, SaveFarris said:

Upcoming cruises may or may not be cancelled, but they've pulled it off the website.  At least for now.

I already called about my Sailing on the Legend on the 29th and was told Neither ships sailings are going to be effected. I Dunno how true what I got told is or not though.

9 minutes ago, Motegi said:

I would call Carnival customer service and keep checking your emails.

Good advice, but I doubt they even know anything at this juncture.  Right now I'd assume that all future sailings are cancelled until the damage is repaired.  The damage is more than just a scraped hull. 

I feel badly for those whose cruises are impacted by this. 

6 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Consider booking a hotel room that be cancelled for the duration of your cruise and have a trip either way...on the cruise ship or in the city you were sailing from.  Why have no trip just because the cruise may be cancelled.  

Because a week in New Orleans with early elementary school kids doesn't sound ideal. 

The travel agent is trying to get info for us.

• Like 1