Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

Just now, robc1972 said:

No ship building experience but I have spent a few years in structural engineering classes and construction industry.

They can get prep work done underway and when tied up in ports get the precision work done while the boat isn't moving.

As long as they dont care how long it takes to get fixed they can keep it in service.

Maybe but I'm not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

We tent through something similar on a RCCL cruise.  A barge exiting the Navy base in Key West hit the side of the ship,  Put a 8' gash in the hull.  They welded a construction plate over the opening.  Prior to the ships departure  the Coast Guard sent an inspection team from Miami. 

I don't think Glory will move until she has watertight integrity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

How do you know it's not sailing next week?  Ships set sail with a non-functional azipod for months at a time.  From what I've seen the damage is primarily in the dining room.    They will most likely close the hole with a temporary measure and make repairs to the ship as they can in the ports.  At most right now, they may cancel a couple of passenger's rooms if they were impacted.  Otherwise, it will sail as scheduled.  Eventually, they may dry dock it for a week to get it done, but they don't even have parts to repair it.  It's not like you can go to "Big-Boats-R-Us" to get them.  Most of them need specially molded as needed.

From looking at the videos and where the damage is it looks like the damage is above the water line.

If that is the case it doesn't look like they'd need a dry dock to make the repairs.

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Meaning that they can safely get the existing passengers onboard back to New Orleans and she isn't going to sink on the way.  You people are dreaming if you think she isn't going out of service for many weeks.  That's structural iron.  She's gone.  Maybe by her scheduled sailing this weekend.

Yep!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monica887 said:

Because a week in New Orleans with early elementary school kids doesn't sound ideal. 

The travel agent is trying to get info for us.

The aquarium is a good place to spend some time. Also a butterfly museum walking distance from there. World War 2 museum might be of interest to them also. 

11 minutes ago, mjdenn said:

We tent through something similar on a RCCL cruise.  A barge exiting the Navy base in Key West hit the side of the ship,  Put a 8' gash in the hull.  They welded a construction plate over the opening.  Prior to the ships departure  the Coast Guard sent an inspection team from Miami. 

I don't think Glory will move until she has watertight integrity.  

You *do* realize that decks 3 and 4 on Glory both open to the outside and aren't watertight to begin with, right?

• Like 1

We're on the Dec. 22 sailing. I called my TA (who knew nothing of it) and Carnival. The rep on Carnival was great ... "We've been instructed to inform you..."

Basically, Carnival said its on but is still assessing. I asked about the possibility of changing pre-emptively and he said he'd have to find out what a rebooking policy is right now (normally, the response would be that I was in the no refund time frame). I asked if there was a possibility of it still being changed and he repeated that it's still being evaluated.

My gut would be that they are going to do everything they can to run this and the next sailing and if they need some time they will take it in early Jan. when there are fewer passengers and less expensive fares to refund and offer a 50 percent off a future sailing. It also could be just mostly external damage and that's going to be fixed while in ports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glory was trying to dock when the wind blew them towards the pier, they 'gunned the engines" to pull out as fast as they could, wind still blowing against the ship....that is what happened.  

As far as wind being an issue.... two cruises I have been on have had WINDY conditions when ship was trying to dock.  The first one the ship tried twice and kept going sideways towards the rocks (Montego Bay), finally wind died down, we docked an hour late.  The other was just this past April on Vista, tried to back into Mahogany Bay but wind kept blowing ship sideways towards rocks, captain aborted and off we went for a sea day (but we docked at Cozumel next day instead of that sea day).  Both times the captains tried to get us in, but the WIND was very strong.  Obviously, the Glory captain tried, but should have just aborted.  

Either way, its done...  

And to the person claiming its all Carnival's fault, I do believe NCL or Royal crashed into the pier at Coxen Hole last year and took it out completely.  It can happen to any cruise ship.  

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, bm6pm5 said:

The aquarium is a good place to spend some time. Also a butterfly museum walking distance from there. World War 2 museum might be of interest to them also. 

There also is the zoo and I think Mardi Gras World to see the floats would be fun too. But I agree with PPs that everything just is speculation at this point. You can look at pictures and make guesses but it isn't the same as actually being assessed onsite by a structural engineer.  If it was me I'd be working on refundable backup plans now but still keeping the hope alive for some Christmas magic (I am admittedly an eternal optimist).

Edited by M2LR
  • Like 1

That is a good section of the dining room taken out. It would be hard for them to cover that up to keep any winds and maybe rain out. It will cause delays in meal service as there are fewer tables.  I'm sure most every ship is full the week of Christmas and New Years so probably no switching to another ship unless lucky. Think I'd just keep bugging Carnival all day today.

5 minutes ago, mjdenn said:

Rob

Just offering my past experience.  Our opening was very small compared to damage on the Glory.  I don't think the decision to sail is Carnivals,  The CG will need to make the call.

My point was just that you mentioned "watertight".  There is nothing watertight about those above-water decks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bm6pm5 said:

That is a good section of the dining room taken out. It would be hard for them to cover that up to keep any winds and maybe rain out. It will cause delays in meal service as there are fewer tables.  I'm sure most every ship is full the week of Christmas and New Years so probably no switching to another ship unless lucky. Think I'd just keep bugging Carnival all day today.

Honestly, I would not bug Carnival all day about it.  I'm sure no one knows what's going yet, especially customer serive and/or the TAs there, so they can't give you any info other than nothing has been cancelled.  Carnival probably won't know for sure until later tonight after the ship sails.

• Like 3

Everyone should stop guessing. https://www.myshiptracking.com/ Shows Glory docked. I'm fairly certain assessment and decisions will occur before it moves again. So probably tonight or at the latest early Saturday morning Carnival will be notifying folks of the plan. Carnival is certainly concerned that 3000 passengers scheduled for the 22nd sailing need info fast. So be cool.

I know what a stressful situation this is. I've done 23 cruises all over the world and know that all the pieces have to fall in place. All the prepaid stuff, from cars, planes, dog sitters, and etc are important. Also the time. The job might not lend itself to a vaca until next year. So my thoughts are with all the passengers in waiting to get some good news. P.S. A ship in port for 8 or so hours can get alot of debris removed and temp fixes in place.

• Like 1

I suspect they will need more than the CG approval to sail...they will need approval from their insurance carrier....and from their house council on whether sailing the damaged ship with passengers will negate any limitations of liability in the carriage contract. 

My guess....worth far less than 2 cents...is that the cruise will end, the ship will be taken to drydock somewhere in the world (drydock space is hard to find) and some number of future cruises will be cancelled.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I suspect they will need more than the CG approval to sail...they will need approval from their insurance carrier....and from their house council on whether sailing the damaged ship with passengers will negate any limitations of liability in the carriage contract. 

My guess....worth far less than 2 cents...is that the cruise will end, the ship will be taken to drydock somewhere in the world (drydock space is hard to find) and some number of future cruises will be cancelled.  

Just an honest question, no snarkiness, why a dry dock when the damage is well above the water line? This appears cosmetic with maybe some secondary structural components. Just curious.

Edited by MEUB1112
Grammar

1 minute ago, MEUB1112 said:

Just an honest question, no snarkiness, why a dry dock when the damage is well above the water line? This is appears cosmetic with maybe some secondary structural components. Just curious.

Depends what they have to do, what supplies are available and where they at, how much noise and disputation there would be, lots of details like that.  Were you sailing with me on the Mardi Gras?

3 minutes ago, MEUB1112 said:

Just an honest question, no snarkiness, why a dry dock when the damage is well above the water line? This appears cosmetic with maybe some secondary structural components. Just curious.

What if you're in a storm... think about it. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think you're dreaming, the shipyard in Freeport is the stop. Sorry if this affected you're cruise, but you're not going.

This doesn't affect me at all.  I'm just taking a little issue with your outright "this is what's happening attitude".  Neither you or I or anyone else on these boards have any idea what's going to happen and when it's going to be fixed.  I CAN almost guarantee you it won't be the next cruise.  The shipyard needs to order materials to make the repairs..

• Like 3

NOTE: This is going to be only thread on this topic. Others will be merged or locked.

Please refrain from snarky and rude comments....a lot of folks "could" be impacted by this at a time when alternative plans can be difficult.  Play nice. It's the holiday season.

New thread is ok when company makes decision on future sailings

Thanks!!!ⁿ

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Just now, buckeyefrank said:

This doesn't affect me at all.  I'm just taking a little issue with your outright "this is what's happening attitude".  Neither you or I or anyone else on these boards have any idea what's going to happen and when it's going to be fixed.  I CAN almost guarantee you it won't be the next cruise.  The shipyard needs to order materials to make the repairs..

This won't be the first time a Buckeye was wrong.  Common sense and logic will prevail.