Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

1 hour ago, matt1119 said:

Here's what baffles me. How could this happen? Even if the radar isn't working, there were no clouds in the sky, did the pilot not see a giant ship anywhere in the vicinity? Unless I'm way off, it's not like any ship that close to the dock is going fast.

I'm going to be fascinated to read the follow up to this because it seems to me like multiple people screwed up here.

Wind. People that are unaware have no idea how much wind impacts the lateral movement of ships/ boats. Sudden gust of wind hits a 1000’ long, 15 story high sky scraper, it will shift its lateral movement an amazing amount. 

• Like 2

Looks like it could have been a loss of situational awareness by the bridge team. That can happen quickly with strong and variable winds.

I also wouldn’t rule out a failure of the stern thrusters. I would have expected to see them working at full power to counter the wind but they were never used throughout the video. Glory sounding it’s whistle could be an indication of that.

To those saying that someone lost their job over this: absolutely not. The bridge team will give a debriefing of the events, most likely go for some simulator training, and the events will be used to enhance training for the rest of the fleet’s deck officers. Terminating well intentioned officers for stuff like this would cause a degradation in the safety culture of the company. 

Cozumel and Costa Maya are notoriously difficult for docking maneuvers. I’ve seen more than a few ships discontinue the approach to the pier and either formulate a new plan or cancel the port of call altogether.

Edited by Abra85
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MEUB1112 said:

Just an honest question, no snarkiness, why a dry dock when the damage is well above the water line? This appears cosmetic with maybe some secondary structural components. Just curious.

I use dry dock as a synonym for shipyard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, msufan288 said:

What if you're in a storm... think about it. lol

I'm sorry, I must have worded it wrong. Does this ship with this damage need to be repaired out of the water? Could the work be accomplished at a ship yard. I understand that dry dock facilities can be in use. There are ship yards in many ports.

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Depends what they have to do, what supplies are available and where they at, how much noise and disputation there would be, lots of details like that.  Were you sailing with me on the Mardi Gras?

Thanks, and yes we are. B2B Jan 23 and 30, 2021.

1 minute ago, MEUB1112 said:

I'm sorry, I must have worded it wrong. Does this ship with this damage need to be repaired out of the water? Could the work be accomplished at a ship yard. I understand that dry dock facilities can be in use. There are ship yards in many ports.

Not many that can handle a ship this size, I can only think of two possibilities on the east coast

I am on this ship now!   The ships crew seem to have been instructed to not talk about it.   Other than the early morning message from the captain saying we ‘made contact’ with another ship, there has been no further updates. 

C53A6C46-9E70-47C0-A0EA-55E54E2C2808.jpeg

Edited by Young_Nana_to_10
Left out a word.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Young_Nana_to_10 said:

I am on this ship now!   The ships crew seem to have been instructed to not talk about.   Other than the early morning message from the captain saying we ‘made contact’ with another ship, there has been no further updates. 

C53A6C46-9E70-47C0-A0EA-55E54E2C2808.jpeg

Pleas keep us updated, what are they saying about next stop?

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

Video from Oasis:

I think you have to give the captain a little credit here for not bumping into Oasis. Those widecaps are as far as the eye can see, that cant be fun. I been on a few cruises where we aborted docking, but never witnessed a collision. 

I can only imagine the lines at GS after all this. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaneandpamela said:

We are on the 29th sailing.  I just got off the phone with a Carnival PVP and she said that they are planning on sailing the schedule and fixing the damage on the fly.  I guess we'll get to NOLA next week and see what happens.  At least I'm stuck in NOLA "with nothing to do" if the sailing cancels.

Good luck with getting hotels. The Sugar Bowl will be there Jan 1.

32 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

This won't be the first time a Buckeye was wrong.  Common sense and logic will prevail.

Carnival's CEO was just on CNBC a little bit ago.  He said they aren't cancelling any pending cruises.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

Carnival CEO just said on CNBC that sailings will not be affected and that they will continue unaffected. ????really

I was about to come here and post that.  Obviously he has much more info than we do, hence the decision.

29 minutes ago, Abra85 said:

I also wouldn’t rule out a failure of the stern thrusters. I would have expected to see them working at full power to counter the wind but they were never used throughout the video. Glory sounding it’s whistle could be an indication of that.

The ship also narrowly missed the Oasis, so it is possible that the bridge crew hesitated to apply more thruster (or prop/rudder) power as that could have swung the bow into the side of Oasis.  Or the wind may have simply exceeded the capability of the stern thrusters; they do look like they are kicking up less water than what I've seen typically, but the videos aren't perfect and I don't know how the rough conditions impact what is visible.

36 minutes ago, Abra85 said:

To those saying that someone lost their job over this: absolutely not. The bridge team will give a debriefing of the events, most likely go for some simulator training, and the events will be used to enhance training for the rest of the fleet’s deck officers. Terminating well intentioned officers for stuff like this would cause a degradation in the safety culture of the company. 

Bingo.  If the captain followed the procedures and acted in accordance with his training, the result will be a change in procedures in training

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

Carnival CEO just said on CNBC that sailings will not be affected and that they will continue unaffected. ????really

As long as it doesn't impact seaworthiness, I expected that.  They will rope off the area, move passengers' dining times around on the next few cruises (if they are impacted) and keep on sailing.

2 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

As long as it doesn't impact seaworthiness, I expected that.  They will rope off the area, move passengers' dining times around on the next few cruises (if they are impacted) and keep on sailing.

I'm on Sunday's sailing (maybe?). They did already tell us that dining arrangement would be changed, but didn't specify how.

34 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

I was on this ship the sailing the week after it struck a pier in Costa Maya.  It was late arriving back in New Orleans so our 7-day turned into a 4-day.

They slapped a big plate over it and kept on sailing.

GOS Hole3.jpg

GOS Hole2.jpg

How did they compensate you? Did they refund part of your original sailing, or provide future travel credit?

22 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

I think you have to give the captain a little credit here for not bumping into Oasis. Those widecaps are as far as the eye can see, that cant be fun. I been on a few cruises where we aborted docking, but never witnessed a collision. 

I can only imagine the lines at GS after all this. 😁

Why did Glory only sound her horn once?