Live-ish -- Dec 20 Thru Jan 5 South America/Antarctica on Coral Princess

erber

19 hours ago, gottagocit said:

If that’s the southernmost point of the route I have to say it’s disappointing that the voyage won’t pass below the Antarctic Circle which is at about 66° 33’.  Have you seen anything indicating you would cross it?

We crossed the Arctic Circle a few years ago went sailing north of Iceland and it’s at the same location but obviously N vs S and I had assumed this voyage would do the same. 

We were on the Star Princess to Antarctica back in December 2010, and they said that only some of the smaller expedition ships go south of the Antarctic Circle.  There is simply too much ice and it is too dangerous for the big ships, especially this early in the season.  Princess said they wouldn't even be able to get insurance coverage if they went that far south.

Edited by westcoaster

We are departing Admiralty Bay. There is a gigantic Gentoo penguin colony here! Photos however don't really capture it as it is far away and I don't have a serious telephoto camera, just my pixel. But, It has been a spectacular day. Sorry I can't share photos. Tried to upload again but it won't work on cruise critic. Have been able to share photos via WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger at times. So at least my family is in the loop! 

I'll try to check on whether  deck 10 door is open or locked later. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

We were on the Star Princess to Antarctica back in December 2010, and they said that only some of the smaller expedition ships go south of the Antarctic Circle.  There is simply too much ice and it is too dangerous for the big ships, especially this early in the season.  Princess said they wouldn't even be able to get insurance coverage if they went that far south.

I suppose you’re correct. We won’t be there for another month so maybe it’ll open up a little by then. Fingers crossed 

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

We were on the Coral this past summer in Alaska and on deck 10, at the end of the front left side is a door. This door is to the outside and an observation deck - most cruisers do not know it exists! We had this area out front to share with two other couples, but what a great view of the glaciers!

They're on both decks 10 and 11 and can be accessed via either the port or starboard corridor. I've been out there in both Glacier Bay and the Panama Canal but never tried going up there when at sea.

1 hour ago, erber said:

We are departing Admiralty Bay. There is a gigantic Gentoo penguin colony here! Photos however don't really capture it as it is far away and I don't have a serious telephoto camera, just my pixel. But, It has been a spectacular day. Sorry I can't share photos. Tried to upload again but it won't work on cruise critic. Have been able to share photos via WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger at times. So at least my family is in the loop! 

I'll try to check on whether  deck 10 door is open or locked later. 

can you post the photos post cruise?

would love to see them

We went through the Gerlache Strait entered Paradise Harbor, continue to sail along the Antarctic peninsula, and are now entering Neumayer Channel. It is even more gorgeous today than yesterday --irregular shaped icebergs all over and beautiful snowy mountain peaks. We have a beautiful sunny day!

• Like 1

This is so exciting.  Husband and I will be on Jan 21st and I cannot wait after reading your posts.  You are doing a great job!  I looked on Weather Channel app and it is showing “general” Antartica at -6 F....yikes - is it really that cold?  We have a balcony so I am hoping to see a lot from there but how is it on open decks?  We just did Northern Lights to Alta Norway on Sapphire in late October.  The night we saw the lights it was -9 and it was sooooooo cold.  I am bringing a few of the clothes I wore on that trip because I was mostly comfortable going from inside and out on to decks. What a swing of temps on this cruise - hot at beginning and end and cold and freezing in the middle.  And what are your observations on sunset at 12:00 am and sunrise at 1 am!!!  Must be strange.  

Cflutist, 

Thanks for posting photos. I cannot. I guess this will be less live than I had anticipated...at least as far as photos are concerned. Still cannot upload photos specifically  to cruise critic. I can text and share photos  via whataApp and Facebook Messenger,  and I can post to Instagram some of the time.

It is a spectacular day. Saw a humpback whale dive, saw some penguins and am seeing so much amazing scenery. We are leaving Neumayer Channel. Tomorrow we cruise to Deception Island. 

Our Drake Passage crossing down to Antarctica was uneventful. The reverse is expected going back towards South America. I'll let you know how it goes. We have Bonine!!!

Edited by erber
  • Like 4

Gardenbunny,  It has been in the low 30°F today. It hasn't been colder than this. Don't know what it is with wind. I have been fine in layers. Today I wore leggings, a thermal shirt, wool socks, sketchers for shoes, packable down jacket and ear warmers. I have spent a lot of time on balcony, some time on decks 14, 15 and also deck 7. It's nice to get a variety of perspectives. 

The whole sunset and sunrise thing is crazy. They do have good blackout curtains so that is helpful. Nonetheless, we have woken up at strange times       ( last night at 3:00 a.m.  for some unknown reason), but have been able to go back to sleep. We are on an early schedule as we arrive at many of the places early.

Edited by erber
  • Like 2

Hi there! Thank you so much for your review as we're also getting onboard the day you disembark in Santiago.

I'm hoping you may also be able to comment on the straw situation on the Coral Princess. Are paper straws available upon request? Also, are they available for sodas or are they restricted to alcoholic beverages only like another cruise line?

Thanks so much for letting me know! Trying to decide if I need to pack some to bring down to South America.

Edited by xDisconnections

Straws -- there are no straws out. I do not drink soda or alcoholic drinks so I cannot comment on availability if requested. But, I will let you know that for the 4 days we are in Antarctica no paper napkins, paper cups or other items that can blow away on open deck are permitted or used anywhere on the ship. So, even of they had straws, during those 4 days they would not give them out. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, erber said:

Straws -- there are no straws out. I do not drink soda or alcoholic drinks so I cannot comment on availability if requested. But, I will let you know that for the 4 days we are in Antarctica no paper napkins, paper cups or other items that can blow away on open deck are permitted or used anywhere on the ship. So, even of they had straws, during those 4 days they would not give them out. 

Thanks for the quick response and the heads up! When you get back to the South America portion and leave Antarctica, any chance you can please ask at a bar?

Thank you so much for all the information.  A question about viewing the area from your veranda.  Is one side or the other of the ship better for doing this?  We currently have a port side stateroom for our cruise next December but could change if the other side is preferable.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

6 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Thank you so much for all the information.  A question about viewing the area from your veranda.  Is one side or the other of the ship better for doing this?  We currently have a port side stateroom for our cruise next December but could change if the other side is preferable.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

When we were there in 2018, I'd say "neither". There were so many sights to see on both sides. Though cold sometimes, the best place was up on deck where you could go from side to side. Also, when you saw a lot of people on one side, there was usually something happening there.

2 hours ago, erber said:

The whole sunset and sunrise thing is crazy. They do have good blackout curtains so that is helpful. Nonetheless, we have woken up at strange times ( last night at 3:00 a.m.  for some unknown reason), but have been able to go back to sleep. We are on an early schedule as we arrive at many of the places early.

The early schedule I believe is that it is usually calmer then. Also, if it is not, it gives the ship a chance to go to an alternative destination (there are many places they can possibly go). 

Good blackout curtains are nice!

I saw some nice sunsets but we were usually quite tired by then. However I got this moon rise peekaboo shot when leaving Usuhaia on our cruise in December 2018. I call it that because it only lasted about 30 seconds!

antarctica_cruise_20181222_ushuaia_0087.jpg

I do not have a Facebook page so no posting there.

We are on starboard side and have had good luck seeing  things on our side,. Also, the ship is  pivoted for certain spots.  But you need to get out on deck at times to really see the scope of things. 

This is a drive by cruise. Unless you do the excursion from Chile which flies you down to Antarctica, you do not get off in the peninsula.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andrew J. Cat said:

Hi Lois!  Actually we're sailing January of 2021, not Jan 21, 2020.  

I WISH we were on your cruise, though!!  We'll have to wait a year.

😁

I booked long before, so I get it. Have fun waiting/ planning

6 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

This is so exciting.  Husband and I will be on Jan 21st and I cannot wait after reading your posts.  You are doing a great job!  I looked on Weather Channel app and it is showing “general” Antartica at -6 F....yikes - is it really that cold?  We have a balcony so I am hoping to see a lot from there but how is it on open decks?  We just did Northern Lights to Alta Norway on Sapphire in late October.  The night we saw the lights it was -9 and it was sooooooo cold.  I am bringing a few of the clothes I wore on that trip because I was mostly comfortable going from inside and out on to decks. What a swing of temps on this cruise - hot at beginning and end and cold and freezing in the middle.  And what are your observations on sunset at 12:00 am and sunrise at 1 am!!!  Must be strange.  

If you are going January 21st of 2020 join our roll call, I just found out another cruise is leave Jan. 21, 2021

The cold is what I'm most worried about too, I did a Baltic Cruise September and froze