Live-ish -- Dec 20 Thru Jan 5 South America/Antarctica on Coral Princess

erber

1 minute ago, erber said:

NoWhiners- it was not hot in BA when we embarked. In fact the sailaway party had to be inside due to inclement weather. Just check weather forecasts for what to expect. 

Yes, we will do that. I just expected it to be in the 80's!

Thanks again.

Reading the updates from our hotel room in Santiago where I the Andes loom in the haze above my laptop as I type.  Thanks again for all of the info.  We've been to the "usual" South American ports before but I have found your posts about Antarctica to be terrific.  Safe travels home!

We have been to Alaska at least half a dozen times ( on Princess ) so clearly we love glaciers and pristine scenery.  In fact we are taking our daughter and her boyfriend on Princess this summer to Alaska.

Many aspects of the Alaska cruises are similar to this one. The major difference is Antarctica is just so much more -- the glaciers are more spectacular, the history even more fascinating,  and the icebergs incomparable. 

Enjoy every minute! 

Edited by erber
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, erber said:

We have been to Alaska at least half a dozen times ( on Princess ) so clearly we love glaciers and pristine scenery.  In fact we are taking our daughter and her boyfriend on Princess this summer to Alaska.

Many aspects of the Alaska cruises are similar to this one. The major difference is Antarctica is just so much more -- the glaciers are more spectacular, the history even more fascinating,  and the icebergs incomparable. 

Enjoy every minute! 

If you haven't been to Norway - you should try it (for pristine scenery).

Thanks for the live posts!

Edited by Coral

Yes, Norway is amazing. My parents  took me on a Baltic cruise many years ago. It was beautiful scenery. 

For this upcoming summer we originally booked a cruise from Copenhagen to Norway and Iceland, disembarking in Southampton. But, when we saw the transatlantic that included Greenland and Iceland, we thought that would be even more interesting. 

On 1/3/2020 at 7:15 AM, erber said:

I've read cruise critic for years and have learned so much from others. I thought I should give back on such an amazing trip. I'm glad to share. 

I have so enjoyed everything you have posted. Their is 12 of us on 2/6/20 can't wait. Thanks again

Today I went to a final and very interesting lecture on Charles Darwin and the HMS Beagle. Well worth attending. Then, changing pace, was the International Crew Show. It was a packed audience. 

Sadly, we had to figure out our packing strategy before dinner so we could plan what to put in our carry on luggage and what to put out our checked bag for collection. Everything, including purchases, fit in our suitcases. Yay!

• Like 2

I thought of a couple more questions. 
Did you attend any of the daily platinum/elite evening gatherings? Where were the held? 

Maybe you posted it and I missed it, did you hear a breakdown of number of totwl passengers, elites, platinums, etc?

Thanks,

Chris 

The Platinum Elite cocktail time was held in the Explorers Lounge. We attended 2 or 3 times. 

I posted the number of Platinum and Elites when I discussed the Captain Circle party. I believe I posted 484 Elites and 424 Platinum or visa versa. 

1300 passengers has cruised with Princess prior to this cruise. 

21 hours ago, ridgerunner51 said:

We have really enjoyed this thread.  We also leave in a little over two weeks on the same trip.  Also, we are doing the TA from New York to Greenland, Iceland and Scotland on the Island Princess and leave August 8th.

We will have to plan to meet onboard!

4 minutes ago, erber said:

The Platinum Elite cocktail time was held in the Explorers Lounge. We attended 2 or 3 times. 

I posted the number of Platinum and Elites when I discussed the Captain Circle party. I believe I posted 484 Elites and 424 Platinum or visa versa. 

1300 passengers has cruised with Princess prior to this cruise. 

Sorry I guess I missed the breakdown earlier. Did you happen to hear the total number onboard?

I always feel a little down when we reach the final evening onboard especially after having such a good cruise as it sounds like you have. One thing that helps me is to start looking for places we want to go in the future. 
Don’t forget to buy a future cruise deposit (or two) if you have done so already. 

take care and safe travels,

Chris

Chris, we bought 1 more future cruise credit and have 2 cruises on Princess  already booked, Alaksa in June and Greenland/Iceland/Canada in July. 😁  ( We also have 3 other shorter cruises booked on other lines in 2020....) I'm ready to go home...but not back to work....

3 hours ago, erber said:

Chris, we bought 1 more future cruise credit and have 2 cruises on Princess  already booked, Alaksa in June and Greenland/Iceland/Canada in July. 😁  ( We also have 3 other shorter cruises booked on other lines in 2020....) I'm ready to go home...but not back to work....

Nice! 
Can completely understand the back to work dreads. Lol

Thanks for the great update - as you pack for disembark we are packing for embark 😉

Is there self-serve laundry on board?  If not what was the fee for pressing a dress or suit?

Thanks again! 

2 hours ago, Raybit said:

Thanks for the great update - as you pack for disembark we are packing for embark 😉

Is there self-serve laundry on board?  If not what was the fee for pressing a dress or suit?

Thanks again! 

I think post #295 will help you.

We got on the Coral this afternoon and won’t leave San Antonio until tomorrow. Lots of frowny faces since we are skipping Punta Arenas.

Safe travels home.

Here is the announcement they made which had to be relayed verbally by the Maitre’d at Bayou Steakhouse as the PA system wasn’t  working in there!

68C7AA95-7549-444C-845B-57AEC5EB5A9A.jpeg

Edited by azbirdmom

Sorry for the unexpected change in your Itinerary. You are missing punta arenas and we missed Montevideo!

I hope the weather improves and there are no more difficulties. Enjoy the ship! Please update on how the cruise goes if you have time. If all goes smoothly I should be home in about 14 hours.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, erber said:

Sorry for the unexpected change in your Itinerary. You are missing punta arenas and we missed Montevideo!

I hope the weather improves and there are no more difficulties. Enjoy the ship! Please update on how the cruise goes if you have time. If all goes smoothly I should be home in about 14 hours.  

We are enjoying and relaxing while awaiting the 9:30 welcome show.  From what I heard your cruise missing Montevideo contributed to the provisioning issues for our cruise. Re: the weather, it is fine now but someone on our toll call posted a forecast from NOAA that indicated wicked waves off the coast of Chile in the next couple of days. 

Edited by azbirdmom

Any suggestions for tours for Ushuaia and Punta Arenas much appreciated. We sail In February. Some of the ships tours are really highly priced so I'm trying to look at alternatives. Were there lots of vendors trying to sell their tours in the port area?