Did they fix Nieuw Amsterdam's azipod or is she sailing with one operational?

MisterBill99

I have been following the NA's troubles closely since we are booked on her March 14-21 cruise. Honestly, if there were any good alternatives, I would "jump ship" and transfer my booking. I have serious concerns about possible shortened port times, skipped ports, and excessive vibration. Not to mention being stranded be a failure of the overworked  azipod! Naturally, things can happen during a cruise ( i.e. Weather, medical emergencies, etc) necessitating adjustments, but to run this ship in its present condition, is as unwise as driving a car without a spare tire! And some are praising HAL for their new found transparency regarding this issue. Count me out of that group!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cookingmom said:

I have been following the NA's troubles closely since we are booked on her March 14-21 cruise. Honestly, if there were any good alternatives, I would "jump ship" and transfer my booking. I have serious concerns about possible shortened port times, skipped ports, and excessive vibration. Not to mention being stranded be a failure of the overworked  azipod! Naturally, things can happen during a cruise ( i.e. Weather, medical emergencies, etc) necessitating adjustments, but to run this ship in its present condition, is as unwise as driving a car without a spare tire! And some are praising HAL for their new found transparency regarding this issue. Count me out of that group!

There is nothing "overworked" about the remaining azipod. It is being run at the rated power, and rated power is where the machinery is rated to operate indefinitely if recommended maintenance is kept up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile, on board, passengers at lunch were praising HAL for excellent maintenance and for taking the ship out of service for a week to "fix" the azipod, although one man called it a stabilizer. This was before receiving the letter substituting St. Croix for Sint Maarten because of a "technical problem."

2 hours ago, cookingmom said:

There are some cars that are sold without a spare tire: just run-flat tires and a can of latex. (Subaru hybrid Crosstrek, I’m looking at you).😜

Edited by TiogaCruiser

3 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

It isn't even certain that it will be repaired prior to the transatlantic. It could sail to a drydock in Barcelona.

This is true.  But they had to get permission to continue cruising the Caribbean with one azipod.  I’m skeptical that they would traverse the Atlantic with only one.  It would be much harder to rescue the ship if there was a disaster than it would be in the Caribbean.   Like many others, just guessing!  No one wants their vacation canceled.  My trip is in the Mediterranean this spring.   I really wish that the executives would be more forthcoming ... they might win over customers rather than lose them.  

• Like 2

On NA in an aft port cabin right now. She is running smooth. Feels no different than she did last year. If I didn't know about the azipod, I wouldn't suspect anything based on the way she is cruising. Seas seem real nice atm too. I'll report back if that changes.

• Like 2

Woke up bright and early and was greeted by beautiful Mr. Sun and calm seas. Sitting out on the balcony I feel a little bit of a vibration that I didn't get in the cabin but nothing again I would have given much thought to were I not aware of the NA's azipod issue. We felt nothing in the mdr last night either but the wine we had with dinner probably helped with that. 

So far so good... a happy sea day ahead.

• Like 2

Was the "Tropical Caribbean" itinerary affected by the reduced speed?  It seems this current Eastern route may have had the most distance to cover. I'm hoping that our Tropical Caribbean itinerary isn't affected too much as I really like the itinerary!

2 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

To fatcat04 …. anytime that you can post a screenshot of the azipod RPM display in the Crows Nest while underway at sea would be interesting to the shoreside observers.

As the earliest of birds and thus the designated coffee fetcher this am, I was up at the swanky coffee bar and glanced at the 2 big screens while waiting. They were both cycling through multiple informational screens. Weather conditions, heading, etc. Did not see the azipod one pop up but I wasn't there long. I will pop back in at some point. 

At present, after 1st, 2nd, and 3rd breakfast, we are on the balcony, sipping bubbly and doing absolutely nothing. 😊

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Was the "Tropical Caribbean" itinerary affected by the reduced speed?  It seems this current Eastern route may have had the most distance to cover. I'm hoping that our Tropical Caribbean itinerary isn't affected too much as I really like the itinerary!

Our St Maarten stop has been changed to St Croix with a $50 pp compensation. We had a letter in our mailbox yesterday that is posted in a couple threads.  

6 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Our St Maarten stop has been changed to St Croix with a $50 pp compensation. We had a letter in our mailbox yesterday that is posted in a couple threads.  

Thanks. The Tropical Caribbean itinerary is different and does not include any stop in St. Maarten.

56 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

As the earliest of birds and thus the designated coffee fetcher this am, I was up at the swanky coffee bar and glanced at the 2 big screens while waiting. They were both cycling through multiple informational screens. Weather conditions, heading, etc. Did not see the azipod one pop up but I wasn't there long. I will pop back in at some point. 

At present, after 1st, 2nd, and 3rd breakfast, we are on the balcony, sipping bubbly and doing absolutely nothing. 😊

I like your style!!! 

🥂

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

And this is what cruising is all about!  🙂

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam- all was well with one azipod- had a clear view in an aft cabin.  The times in ports were shortened somewhat which was most annoying in Grand Cayman but otherwise it was fine.  We attended ask the captain and he said he went to see the spare azipod in Freeport the week of the cancelled cruise and then plan is to take the ship out of service for a week in February- did not specify which week -and put the "spare" azipod on. They will then repair the motor on the old damaged azipod and reinstall it when they go to dry dock in 2021.

The read outs in the Crow's Nest were taken down- visible when the cruise began but absent towards the end.

It was a great cruise!

Edited by bahalter

4 minutes ago, bahalter said:

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam- all was well with one azipod- had a clear view in an aft cabin.  The times in ports were shortened somewhat which was most annoying in Grand Cayman but otherwise it was fine.  We attended ask the captain and he said he went to see the spare azipod in Freeport the week of the cancelled cruise and then plan is to take the ship out of service for a week in February- did not specify which week -and put the "spare" azipod on. They will then repair the motor on the old damaged azipod and reinstall it when they go to dry dock in 2021.

The read outs in the Crow's Nest were taken down- visible when the cruise began but absent towards the end.

It was a great cruise!

Excellent "new" information from bahalter … we now know more than we did a little while ago. The picture is getting clearer slowly but surely.

5 minutes ago, bahalter said:

We attended ask the captain and he said he went to see the spare azipod in Freeport the week of the cancelled cruise and then plan is to take the ship out of service for a week in February- did not specify which week -and put the "spare" azipod on. They will then repair the motor on the old damaged azipod and reinstall it when they go to dry dock in 2021.

You're sure that the captain said it was a motor problem?

We all understand mechanical issues. We've all been delayed on flights, etc. Bottom line-safety cannot be compromised. We go out on 2/15. If they're going to cancel, do it. I would then have time to book something else whether it's another cruise or just stay in Florida until my 2/23 cruise. 

What I don't want to happen is be on the NA and not get back to FLL in time on the 22nd to catch my next cruise!

HAL-make a decision, keep us informed. That's all we ask. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to share recent first hand info bahalter and fatcat.  Balcony sitting and sipping definitely falls under doing something or doing nothing category of best cruise activities.  Cheers!