Did they fix Nieuw Amsterdam's azipod or is she sailing with one operational?

MisterBill99

It seems like HAL still doesn't know exactly when the ship will go in for repair.  I wonder if they are still waiting on confirmation as to when Freeport will receive the needed parts.  Perhaps that could be the reason they really aren't sure of the timing yet.  I assume some of these would have to be special ordered? In any case, I am a bit uneasy currently booked on the Feb. 29th sailing.  

After viewing all of the other excellent comments on this thread, viewing the ABB video posted, and considering all of the HAL options, I wonder if there is a better option for this complex problem. *****This is pure speculation***** Suppose that it is best that a new azipod be manufactured by ABB for Nieuw Amsterdam. Suppose that it can be shipped to the NAVANTIA Cadiz shipyard by April 14, the day that NA is due to arrive in Cadiz on her T/A. Suppose that the drydock can be made available for NA at that time. Suppose that the T/A can be reasonably terminated in Cadiz as a necessary condition to resolving this. When the installation is complete, NA can proceed to Barcelona to begin a slightly modified summer season cruise program. 

Not sure its a "better" option, someone still gets a modified cruise.  The ship needs18 knots to reach the Azores from FLL on time.  Azores to Cadiz needs 18 knots to make schedule.  Then, from Cadiz to Barcelona is 24 hours at full speed (plus a couple of hours for slow steaming in the Straits of Gibraltar).  If the ship reached Cadiz on time at 0800, and got everyone off and ballasted for the drydock, they might start in at 1800 at best, on the 14th.  Six to eight hours to dock and pump the dock, then another 6-8 hours to refill at the end, and needing to leave at 0700 on the 16th, that leaves from 1800 on the 14th to 2300 on the 15th for actual repairs.  That's just not enough.  Three to four days of actual time once dry is normal for azipod repairs.

So, either they make their schedule across the Atlantic, and cut the first Med cruise short by a couple of days, or they don't make the schedule across, and end up cancelling the entire first cruise in the Med.  Regardless, either a Caribbean cruise will get cancelled, or a Med cruise.  It's going to take a week all told for the repairs, and they have more control over the shorter Caribbean cruises than a TA, so I don't believe they will postpone until Spain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

15 pages later... can we lock this?

Why?  Any of us are free to NOT open the thread if we're not interested.  Clearly, it's of interest to a number of people - me included.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

After a great meal at the PG last night and a nice sleep helped along by a little cradle like rocking motion thanks to Neptune, I was up with the roosters this morning. Coffee, pain au chocolat... and pictures of the informational screens per request. This was taken around 7am San Juan PR time, cruising toward San Juan with a planned arrival at 2pm. Maybe we will arrive a bit early.

IMG_20200107_060159188.jpg

Edited by fatcat04

First, thanks to fatcat04 for posting the Crows Nest display. We all hope that he is enjoying his voyage on NA. Second, sorry to anyone who has been offended in any way by this open discussion. If HAL would provide more information, speculation would stop. Third, until a few days ago, I was booked on the March 28 sailing …. I have canceled. However, I still have a strong professional interest in this matter. I trust that most of the viewers of this thread will understand. 

• Like 1

I am booked on the February 1st Nieuw Amsterdam sailing.  I am following this thread with great interest, not only to find out if anyone learns which sailing will be affected to fix the issue, but also feedback on how the sailing is going from those on the ship.  Special thanks to fatcat04 for the updates.  It has reassured me that we could still have a pleasant and minimally impacted sailing with only one azipod functioning (assuming we get to go).  

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

After a great meal at the PG last night and a nice sleep helped along by a little cradle like rocking motion thanks to Neptune, I was up with the roosters this morning. Coffee, pain au chocolat... and pictures of the informational screens per request. This was taken around 7am San Juan PR time, cruising toward San Juan with a planned arrival at 2pm. Maybe we will arrive a bit early.

Are the planned visits to PR going ahead OK - Can you report back if all is OK at pier and town mainly wrt electicity as weather.com reporting it is now out across the island.   I believe not much damage to that area of island can you confirm this as well.  Feeling very sorry for the islanders if this impacts them too much

3 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Just look at that beautiful view!  In there.  Somewhere.  

If this has taught them anything, I hope it’s that they should never have put those things up.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Are the planned visits to PR going ahead OK - Can you report back if all is OK at pier and town mainly wrt electicity as weather.com reporting it is now out across the island.   I believe not much damage to that area of island can you confirm this as well.  Feeling very sorry for the islanders if this impacts them too much

Having been on a news fast these past 5 days I was unaware of this. I will update any info I can find out.

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Just look at that beautiful view!  In there.  Somewhere.  

If this has taught them anything, I hope it’s that they should never have put those things up.

Ikr. Oh well. Here are a couple pics of the bow view. First from around the Crows Nest screens, Mr. Sun is waking up the world. Second one from my spa therapy room window this am. Gorgeous day outside and after the massage I am thoroughly tenderized and relaxed. 

IMG_20200107_060241958.jpg

IMG_20200107_092200412.jpg

• Like 2

Puerto Rico has certainly had more than its share of trouble recently.

Those of us whose cruises have been or may be affected by the pod problem are grateful for the continuing excellent first hand and technical info. Thanks everyone.  Hopefully HAL will respect our concerns. 

Captain just made an announcement that the earthquakes were on the opposite side of the island but that there is widespread power outages. They are hoping power will be restored in San Juan by noon. We are now scheduled to be docked by 3. We have a stiff headwind atm that is making for an excessively breezy time on the outside decks and probably slowing our progress. I'll update all info when I know more.

Puerto Rico is certainly in need our good thoughts, healing vibes, and prayers. Hoping we can go give those great folks some tourist trade today too. 

3 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

Third, until a few days ago, I was booked on the March 28 sailing …. I have canceled. However, I still have a strong professional interest in this matter.

That good. Means that you have a network of professional contacts. Perhaps you can ask them a few questions about shipyards and azipods. Pass the info to us?

5 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Why?  Any of us are free to NOT open the thread if we're not interested.  Clearly, it's of interest to a number of people - me included.

Sue/WDW1972

Because it just fuels the obsession over this topic. The azipod is out. Who cares? You'll never know from reading this discussion whether it will affect your trip. That communication would come directly from HAL.

29 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

Because it just fuels the obsession over this topic. The azipod is out. Who cares? You'll never know from reading this discussion whether it will affect your trip. That communication would come directly from HAL.

Advocating shutting down free speech is unbecoming.