Did they fix Nieuw Amsterdam's azipod or is she sailing with one operational?

MisterBill99

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No, I was referring to ChengKP who did respond.  Many years here on CC have taught me to rely on his first hand expertise on Mariner/Engineering issues.

Hank

Hi Hank! I Agree ChengKP is very generous with his knowledge and we have learned a lot.  I was referring to your comment re the Celebrity Captain with the great sense of humour:)

• Like 1

Another historical note …. 

The "Nieuw Amsterdam" ran aground on Oct 10, 2017, at Santa Cruz Huatulco, after her moorings broke in stormy weather. The passangers were offered to move to hotels for one night, while the ship underwent an inspection and was allowed to resume voyage as a result. She left Santa Cruz in the evening of Oct 10 and headed to Puerto Chiapas.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lizinvan said:

Hi Hank! I Agree ChengKP is very generous with his knowledge and we have learned a lot.  I was referring to your comment re the Celebrity Captain with the great sense of humour:)

Ahhh, that would be the very popular Captain "Demitrius."  He is one of the funniest men I have had the pleasure to meet and he will often pack the main theater whenever he gives a talk.

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Ahhh, that would be the very popular Captain "Demitrius."  He is one of the funniest men I have had the pleasure to meet and he will often pack the main theater whenever he gives a talk.

Hank

Thanks Hank; good to know.  We enjoyed both Captain Tasos and Captain Kate. Their captains seem more involved than some lines. We just had a lovely captain, Frank Van Der Hoeven on the Volendam.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lizinvan said:

Thanks Hank; good to know.  We enjoyed both Captain Tasos and Captain Kate. Their captains seem more involved than some lines. We just had a lovely captain, Frank Van Der Hoeven on the Volendam.

We have never cruised with Captain Kate but have heard nothing but great things from those who have cruised with and met her.  The sad reality is that, these days, there is very little interaction between most passengers and Senior Officers..especially Captains.  We started cruising in the 70s when things were quite different.  In fact, on Celebrity there was a time when anyone who was "Elite" would almost be guaranteed to have one dinner at a table hosted by a senior officer.  Now, most Senior Officers avoid the MDR on just about all the mass market lines.

Since you mentioned HAL, we really enjoyed Captain Halle Gundersen (now retired) who spent his HAL career on the Prinsendam.  On one long cruise he vowed to have all the 4-5 Star Mariners to his cabin for cocktails!  On that cruise we had about 600 passengers of which nearly 500 were 4-5* Mariners.  He kept his word (it was a 2 month cruise) by having small groups of 15-20 to his cabin....but he had to do this on more then 25 nights of the cruise :).  Captain Halle really enjoyed being with the passengers (as did his young daughter, Isabella) and was very popular.  But even on HAL times have changed. 

Hank

I just contacted Lloyds Register of Shipping in their Miami office relative to Nieuw Amsterdam and her class … specifically any notation or condition of class. I was told that there is no such notation or condition relative to her nonoperational starboard azipod in her record. To me, this is very strange. I still would like to hear from HAL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

We have never cruised with Captain Kate but have heard nothing but great things from those who have cruised with and met her.  The sad reality is that, these days, there is very little interaction between most passengers and Senior Officers..especially Captains.  We started cruising in the 70s when things were quite different.  In fact, on Celebrity there was a time when anyone who was "Elite" would almost be guaranteed to have one dinner at a table hosted by a senior officer.  Now, most Senior Officers avoid the MDR on just about all the mass market lines.

Since you mentioned HAL, we really enjoyed Captain Halle Gundersen (now retired) who spent his HAL career on the Prinsendam.  On one long cruise he vowed to have all the 4-5 Star Mariners to his cabin for cocktails!  On that cruise we had about 600 passengers of which nearly 500 were 4-5* Mariners.  He kept his word (it was a 2 month cruise) by having small groups of 15-20 to his cabin....but he had to do this on more then 25 nights of the cruise :).  Captain Halle really enjoyed being with the passengers (as did his young daughter, Isabella) and was very popular.  But even on HAL times have changed. 

Hank

Very interesting and sad to see changing times taking some of the “personality” from the experience.  Our first cruises were in the 90’s just getting our “feet wet” and have added about 20 over past  4/5 years after a 20+ year absence.  Since we are itinerary driven we have sailed half a dozen lines and will likely never reach more than mid-range “status” with anyone!:)

Merry Christmas!

liz

1 minute ago, lizinvan said:

Very interesting and sad to see changing times taking some of the “personality” from the experience.  Our first cruises were in the 90’s just getting our “feet wet” and have added about 20 over past  4/5 years after a 20+ year absence.  Since we are itinerary driven we have sailed half a dozen lines and will likely never reach more than mid-range “status” with anyone!:)

Merry Christmas!

liz

Liz,  We actually think much of the same way which is why we have cruised on many (16) lines.  To be very honest, we never gave a hoot about "status" or frequent cruise perks.  But after more then forty years of extensive cruising we eventually got into the higher frequent cruiser levels on many lines.  It is still not a consideration when we book cruises.  In fact, we reached the 5 Star level more then 2 years ago and have not been back on HAL (although we have cruised over 150 days on 5 other lines since that last HAL cruise).  

But we will be the first to admit that some of the frequent cruiser perks are nice.  On long cruises, having free laundry is a wonderful perk.  The discount on HAL wine packages are also appreciated (although we wish they would improve the wine selection).  But of all the lines where we do have "status" the perks on HAL are certainly  the worst or we should say not up to the standards of other lines.  We once had a friendly discussion with a Senior HAL staffer about the issue and agreed that HAL is somewhat of a victim of its own loyal passengers.  Consider that we have been on several long cruises where HAL has had to suspend some benefits because there were too many 4-5* Mariners on the cruise.  In simple terms, if 75% of the passengers are entitled to some kind of priority nobody really gets priority :).

I will say that if one "gets off" on feeling special then they should cruise in MSC's Yacht Club.  The service and treatment is outstanding and its hard to reconcile it with the fact that you are on a ship with over 4000 other cruisers.  In the Yacht Club even the staff feels they are special to be working in that section of the ship.

Hank

51 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

I just contacted Lloyds Register of Shipping in their Miami office relative to Nieuw Amsterdam and her class … specifically any notation or condition of class. I was told that there is no such notation or condition relative to her nonoperational starboard azipod in her record. To me, this is very strange. I still would like to hear from HAL.

A condition of class is something that would affect the seaworthiness of the vessel, or that presents a significant safety threat, and that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.  Since the vessel has propulsion, there would not be a condition of class.  Also, I tends to take some time for the individual surveyor's report to be input into the database.  If you feel you have the inside track as a naval architect, you might ask to see the survey report, but I doubt this would be provided to any third party.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Because of harmonics, it was only the elevator that was affected. Nothing else had that same fundamental frequency, so nothing else had that effect. QE2 was converted from steam to diesel-electric after her time in the Falklands. I was told that the E vibrations didn't happen until then. 

People are so used to the "floating hotel" concept that they forget that this is one huge machine. Machines vibrate and they make noise. I suppose I'm a ship geek, but I loved the aft cabin we used to book on QE2. When she cranked those engines going out of port, there were vibrations--not terribly strong, just enough to remind us of her power. She could leave modern cruise ships looking at her stern without even going full power. And on QM2, there's a spot in one of the public hallways where you can feel the thrum of the engines If you stand quietly and listen. I once told her designer that it's one of my favorite things on the ship. He said Cunard were worried people would be annoyed by it (I've never heard that anyone was) and asked for extra insulation. 

Wow. You are a veteran. Many happy friendships and memories.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We sailed with Captain Kate back in June, what a great person to have represent Celebrity. I think we saw her every day having photos taken with passengers, signing autographs outside the logo shop and she was standing by the gangway during disembarkation thanking every passenger as they left the ship. 

Edited by MISTER 67

22 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

If anything, being told that ships have sailed for months with a single pod should reduce the anxiety, not cause it. I'm almost sorry that I started this thread and understand why HAL did not put the info about running on a single azipod in their release.

Chance has an alias called Murphy. Just because some ships have gotten away with it, doesn't mean that the next one will also. Passenger ships should run at its optimal setup. That's what passengers pay for. 

In general, I don't tell strangers about their problem unless I have a solution.

Does any expert have a prognosis (solution)? When and where will the pod be fixed?

Otherwise, you're just spreading anxiety and uncertainty.

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

8 hours ago, lizinvan said:

It's actually Dimitrios Kafetzis, and he is Captain Tasos' brother. And yes, he is the funniest captain I have ever met. In fact, when they do the "Liar's Club" game show and he participates, he is typically the funniest person they have in the theater all week (more so than the comedian guest entertainer), plus his aforementioned talk.  Captain Dimitrios will be the inaugural captain on Celebrity Apex.

And yes, Captain Kate is wonderful. We met her shortly after she was named a captain but before she actually took over the helm but was shadowing the current captain (Leo) on Summit.

Edited by MisterBill99

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

It's actually Dimitrios Kafetzis, and he is Captain Tasos' brother. And yes, he is the funniest captain I have ever met. In fact, when they do the "Liar's Club" game show and he participates, he is typically the funniest person they have in the theater all week (more so than the comedian guest entertainer), plus his aforementioned talk.  Captain Dimitrios will be the inaugural captain on Celebrity Apex.

And yes, Captain Kate is wonderful. We met her shortly after she was named a captain but before she actually took over the helm but was shadowing the current captain (Leo) on Summit.

The situation is actually very unique.  Two cruise ship Captains, brothers, who work for the same cruise line.  And to quote Captain Demitrios,  "Greek."   :).  When we are on his ship we actually look forward to the muster drill since his humor shocks those who have not cruised with him.  But he does know how to be fun, and also very professional.  It is no wonder that he became a Master at such as young age.

Hank

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The situation is actually very unique.  Two cruise ship Captains, brothers, who work for the same cruise line.  And to quote Captain Demitrios,  "Greek."   :). 

Yes, I always love it when he introduces the officers and says "Greek, Greek, Greek, Not Greek".

BTW spells his name Dimitrios -- https://www.linkedin.com/in/dimitrios-kafetzis-5a329768/?originalSubdomain=gr. I have tried to get him onto social media without success. Captain Tasos is on Instagram as are several other Celebrity captains (but of course Captain Kate has the biggest following).

Edited by MisterBill99

21 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Chance has an alias called Murphy. Just because some ships have gotten away with it, doesn't mean that the next one will also. Passenger ships should run at its optimal setup. That's what passengers pay for. 

In general, I don't tell strangers about their problem unless I have a solution.

Does any expert have a prognosis (solution)? When and where will the pod be fixed?

Otherwise, you're just spreading anxiety and uncertainty.

Airlines have a critical equipment lists.  Some items on the list, if they are not functioning properly are no-go, the flight is cancelled.   Obviously, a non-functioning engine would be no-go,  the plane can not take off.  Other items on the list, like a non-functioning APU  (aux power unit) are not considered no-go, providing the airport has an external ground power cart.   There's a whole list of items that if they are not working, the captain and maintenance staff can sign off on and the flight can go.  They are not required to notify the passengers that the APU or some other item is out of service.   That decision is left to the captain and it is entered in the logs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

If someone is onboard NAdam and could post a screenshot of the display in the Crows Nest showing the AZIPOD RPM's while underway at sea, that would be of interest. Perhaps after departing HMC tomorrow evening.

I'll be boarding Saturday and will look for this.

29 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

If someone is onboard NAdam and could post a screenshot of the display in the Crows Nest showing the AZIPOD RPM's while underway at sea, that would be of interest. Perhaps after departing HMC tomorrow evening.

Wasn't that already posted? Or do you want to see if something changed? I'm curious to hear if their arrival at HMC was delayed by an hour as the HAL person said in their post. Of course, I read elsewhere that several HMC stops have been cancelled recently due to high winds, so maybe they won't even get there.

• Like 1

About 10 years ago, Oosterdam completed a dry dock in Victoria, then immediately had one azipod melt down.

HAL operated Oosterdam for about 6 months with just one functioning azipod. In an attempt to maintain the itinerary, they decided to run the single azipod at 150% of recommended speed. They still had to reduce their itinerary, and missed one port every week.

The 150% operating speed was not a good idea. Vibration was so bad that 20 aft suites and about 20% of the dining room could not be used.

Six months later, when they replaced the defective azipod, the one that had been running at 150% was completely fried. They had to replace that one as well.

• Thanks 1

At 3 pm EST 26 Dec, I had the following online chat with HAL ...

12:00:10 [Angela] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...

12:00:26 [Angela] Thank you for contacting Holland America Line my name is Angela. How may I help you today?

12:00:40 [Angela] Hi 

12:01:31 [NavArch64] When will the starboard azipod unit on Nieuw Amsterdam be repaired so that both propulsion units will be fully operational.

12:02:25 [Angela] May I have you verify your email address?

12:02:46 [NavArch64]  (deleted)

12:03:27 [Angela] Thank you.

12:05:22 [Angela] Nieuw Amsterdam has been repaired.

12:07:01 [NavArch64) When she left Nassau on her current voyage, she was only operating with her port azipod unit. When were the repairs completed?

12:09:00 [Angela] When 48 hours Dec 16 2019 ship was ready to sail.

12:11:14 [NavArch64] Nieuw Amsterdam went to the shipyard in Freeport and spent 4 days there before returning to Port Everglades without guests on Dec 20.

12:13:44 [Angela] Understand. The ship was repaired and Nieuw Amsterdam sailed on 21st with guest.

12:15:39 [NavArch64] But, Angela, on the 22nd departing Nassau, she was sailing with only the port azipod unit functioning.

12:16:38 [Angela] One moment while I inquire.

12:21:04 [Angela] Both azipods are working

12:21:43 [NavArch64] Thank you for checking, I appreciate your time with me.

12:22:51 [Customer] Session Disconnected

To me, this is still interesting ... the comment from Angela at 12:21:04 (PST) is pretty clear and definitive. But …...

Edited by NavArch64
  • Thanks 1