Did they fix Nieuw Amsterdam's azipod or is she sailing with one operational?

MisterBill99

36 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Thank you for the screenshot of the display. It is clear that the starboard azipod is not operational.

Is it definitely not operational, or could they not be operating it in a “damaged capacity”?

And as a clueless cruise lover, I am not even sure there is a difference. But I admit , thanks to all of you sharing your knowledge and expertise, I am less clueless.

2 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Last night she was doing 17 knots.  Can she do that on 1 azipod? 

She probably can … we know that she can do 16.3 knots at 114 RPM on the port azipod only … from the screenshot on Friday evening. I would guess that 17 knots would be about her maximum speed on 1 azipod.

Just got back from sailing on the Zuiderdam. My sisters and I ended up hanging out with some of the engineers on that ship, and I brought up the azipod on NA. He said it was likely a seal failed before the last abandoned cruise and was re-sealed in the Bahamas temporarily. A whole new unit is on order from Italy, to be installed in the next couple months. As he is not on that ship itself, couldn't give more details, but it seems like it's at least somewhat functional, though maybe they are babying it for the time being?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, raesive said:

Just got back from sailing on the Zuiderdam. My sisters and I ended up hanging out with some of the engineers on that ship, and I brought up the azipod on NA. He said it was likely a seal failed before the last abandoned cruise and was re-sealed in the Bahamas temporarily. A whole new unit is on order from Italy, to be installed in the next couple months. As he is not on that ship itself, couldn't give more details, but it seems like it's at least somewhat functional, though maybe they are babying it for the time being?

Azipods are not from Italy, they are from ABB in Norway.  A seal failure and repair would not be "temporary", if it is done in the water, it is just as good as an out of  water repair.  The displays from onboard show zero rpm's at sea, which tells me that the shaft is locked, so they are not using the pod at all.  That is more indicative of a bearing failure than anything else.

• Like 2

This just in from the Nieuw Amsterdam: the captain wants the azipod display removed because the starboard azipod isn’t working. The dry dock in Freeport was for clearance to sail on one pod only. That lady was on the phone with the captain explaining to the maintenance tech behind the tv that they want it removed because it’s showing the truth about the azipod “repair.”  

That’s from the Observation deck Lounge. Literally just happened at 10:30am est. 

D46187D7-1C83-415F-BACF-E963E76657BF.jpeg

23CF5F98-DFD6-4DFA-AE1F-9EB9AA80C3CE.jpeg

Edited by Wndrbrh
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Wndrbrh said:

This just in from the Nieuw Amsterdam: the captain wants the azipod display removed because the starboard azipod isn’t working. The dry dock in Freeport was for clearance to sail on one pod only. That lady was on the phone with the captain explaining to the maintenance tech behind the tv that they want it removed because it’s showing the truth about the azipod “repair.”  

That’s from the Observation deck Lounge. Literally just happened at 10:30am est. 

It's getting interesting how they're trying to cover this up. As I had mentioned earlier, the group admin of a HAL fans FB group had posted that the ship was repaired based on what he had supposedly been told by HAL (more accurately, how he had misread their announcement). When I pointed out what HAL themselves had said on their "PartnerSHIPS' FB page for TA's (that they had all approvals needed to sail with one azipod and that the ship was safe), he told me that he would contact the president of HAL (who he apparently knew) and get back to me. He never did.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MisterBill99 said:

It's getting interesting how they're trying to cover this up. As I had mentioned earlier, the group admin of a HAL fans FB group had posted that the ship was repaired based on what he had supposedly been told by HAL (more accurately, how he had misread their announcement). When I pointed out what HAL themselves had said on their "PartnerSHIPS' FB page for TA's (that they had all approvals needed to sail with one azipod and that the ship was safe), he told me that he would contact the president of HAL (who he apparently knew) and get back to me. He never did.

I posted this same thing with pictures on HAL Cruise Line friends and got censored instantly. I sent this on Twitter to HAL and a cruise news blog. It’ll get out there 🙂. Coverups aren’t cool. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wndrbrh said:

I posted this same thing with pictures on HAL Cruise Line friends and got censored instantly. I sent this on Twitter to HAL and a cruise news blog. It’ll get out there 🙂. Coverups aren’t cool. 

I noticed on FB too that the thread was shut down so quickly which is ridiculous-can’t comment on it at all.  

Been interesting following along with what’s been happening on the NA.  We were on the Oosterdam when they had the divers in San Diego and had to stay overnight.   

• Thanks 1

As I have said before, I am saddened that HAL has chosen to cover this up. I have lost confidence in the company as a result. The fact that the Captain of Nieuw Amsterdam has directly ordered that the display in the Crows Nest be shut off says it all.

Can anyone confirm the name of the Captain? 

Edited by NavArch64
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

As I have said before, I am saddened that HAL has chosen to cover this up. I have lost confidence in the company as a result. The fact that the Captain of Nieuw Amsterdam has directly ordered that the display in the Crows Nest be shut off says it all.

Can anyone confirm the name of the Captain? 

It's sad, because this thread should really be dead by now, and would be if they were being truthful.

according to the Captain Albert's HAL Blog (https://www.captainalbert.com/current-captains-and-their-schedules/), the current captain is Captain Arno Jutten.

30 minutes ago, Wndrbrh said:

Not cool at all, HAL. What are they thinking??  Trying to hide something like this almost always ends badly for the company.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I noticed on FB too that the thread was shut down so quickly which is ridiculous-can’t comment on it at all.  

Yes, but you can react to the group admin's post where she shut down the conversation. There are many options other than "like".