Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

Now it is time for the ACT to burn, fires in at Orroral Valley in Namadgi National have been burning for a couple of days now and are heading towards Tharwa and Canberra's southern suburbs.  The photos are from my backyard looking over my roof to the Urambi hills in the park. It is about 12 kms away.

Fire.jpg

fire1.jpg

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Now it is time for the ACT to burn, fires in at Orroral Valley in Namadgi National have been burning for a couple of days now and are heading towards Tharwa and Canberra's southern suburbs.  The photos are from my backyard looking over my roof to the Urambi hills in the park. It is about 12 kms away.

Great photos! Stay safe Mic, hopefully the fires can be controlled soon and before they burn too much more. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

This morning has the fire still out of control but down graded to a watch and act instead of an emergency. I fear this is more to do with the terrain rather than the wind dropping. It is forecast to be another 36 degree day with the wind picking up again this evening, it will likely be upgraded again.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

This morning has the fire still out of control but down graded to a watch and act instead of an emergency. I fear this is more to do with the terrain rather than the wind dropping. It is forecast to be another 36 degree day with the wind picking up again this evening, it will likely be upgraded again.

I understand your concerns, you and Rosie take it easy and stay safe.  Yes some really hot days this week, 35-40 C every day, extremely dangerous fire conditions.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The wind has swung around from the south now to blow the smoke over our house and the fire more towards the suburbs. Not looking good for Tharwa.

Good luck Mic. Get your evac plan in order, just in case. And don't forget the dog! (or cat???)

• Like 1

Thanks all,

We have had a go bag ready since September last year (for fire season), we have also got a few other things ready last night just in case, like the air mattress and sleeping bags and such.

We do not have any pets anymore as we like to travel too much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How are things in Batemans Bay, NSWP?

Still very smoky, a few spot fires around the outskirts of the town.   Big fires still going to the south west of Moruya/Narooma/Bodalla.   It is not over yet unfortunately.   The Disaster Recovery Centre is still operating. Plenty homeless down here.  Roads currently open to Canberra and north/south on Princes Hwy.Thanks for your interest.

Like others our go bag is ready.

Most motel/hotel rooms down here are occupied by the 300 Essential Energy people working to restore power and phone techs and firies from other areas of course.

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Thanks all,

We have had a go bag ready since September last year (for fire season), we have also got a few other things ready last night just in case, like the air mattress and sleeping bags and such.

We do not have any pets anymore as we like to travel too much.

Let's hope you don't have to put this plan into operation, but glad you are prepared.

I was kidding about the dog; they do require extra effort when we travel.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Still very smoky, a few spot fires around the outskirts of the town.   Big fires still going to the south west of Moruya/Narooma/Bodalla.   It is not over yet unfortunately.   The Disaster Recovery Centre is still operating. Plenty homeless down here.  Roads currently open to Canberra and north/south on Princes Hwy.Thanks for your interest.

Like others our go bag is ready.

Friends of ours spent the long weekend in Batemans Bay, doing their bit to help your local economy.

Stay safe! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

Let's hope you don't have to put this plan into operation, but glad you are prepared.

I was kidding about the dog; they do require extra effort when we travel.

I do worry about the animals both pets and wild ones.

with all that land that has been burnt , tree's down  might be a lot of fuel still left for next yr  might even be worse than this yr..  I seen nsw gov wants to do a independent inquiry  into the bush fires ..  I heard Gladys even mention  they knew it was dry from 1 july but sat back and did nothing so whats this inquiry going to do  they have been told for yrs .. 

memorial service today for the American fire tanker crew  rip boys .. 

On 12/26/2019 at 5:43 PM, megsie said:

Check out live webcams to see how the weather/ smoke is.

Just now on a live webcam   -    webcamsydney  -  the harbour is showing as fine and clear.  And the Radiance of the Seas is in port.

795B367B-A7A8-4A29-B09B-99E09C8C565F.jpeg

Love Radiance.   2 great cruises.

• Like 1

Just watching a press conference form the ACT Chief Minister and Emergency Service Chiefs about the fire situation and they have declared a territory wide State of Emergency.

Hope you are ready to go Mic, if needed! Stay safe!

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Just watching a press conference form the ACT Chief Minister and Emergency Service Chiefs about the fire situation and they have declared a territory wide State of Emergency.

Hope you are ready to go Mic, if needed! Stay safe!

Quite a distance from Canberra suburbs, Watch and Act level currently.  I just came back from the Movies, watched 'Midway.' excellent and the A/C was nice too as was the choc top ice cream. Batemans Bay has not reached the forecast temp of 35C yet, a balmy 28, quite acceptable, Nor Easter keeping it bearable.  Would be lot warmer in Canberra with no sea breeze.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think the State of Emergency is more for the expected weather conditions over the weekend. 

Leigh

Hot Friday and Saturday, southerly change and showers expected late Sat night/early Sunday.  Predicted 39 tomorrow here and 41 in Canberra.