Are kettles allowed

Lindypops

I'm pretty sure a storm kettle - or indeed any other type of kettle even if it didn't plug in -  would not be either!  Cruises from the UK usually have a kettle in the stateroom as standard. Others don't.  I can't see what you should not be able to ask for one.  I haven't tried.  You can get boiling water from the Oceanview or Cafe el biachio. 

You can't bring your own on board, but depending on where your cruise is, there may be kettles provided. Even on cruises where they are not provided, some CC members report having been successful in having their room steward find one for them. 

22 minutes ago, Lindypops said:

Will we be allowed to take a kettle on board or will it be conficated?

if we are not allowed to take our own is it possible to get a kettle in the room?

You can ask your cabin steward to give you a kettle. We have had kettles on our last two cruises.

On the Infinity (Pacific Coastal from San Diego) last year, our cabin steward asked us if we wanted a kettle . We were supplied with a small number of tea bags, coffee sachets, milk and sugar and cups were replaced each day 

We asked for a kettle on the Reflection cruise from FLL earlier this year. We were given one but with no condiments . Not a problem as we had bought our own tea.

Edited by jimzgoldfinch

• 2 weeks later...

We always request a kettle and tea tray set up and have never had a problem. I don’t know if they meet this request because we cruise suites or come from England and they see it as a cultural necessity!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

We always request a kettle and tea tray set up and have never had a problem. I don’t know if they meet this request because we cruise suites or come from England and they see it as a cultural necessity!

Probably because your from U.K. !! On our west coast cruise on the Infinity we were asked without prompting if we wanted a kettle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

I've often wondered why kettles can be provided in-room, but not coffee makers (at least I've never heard of them being provided).  I don't drink coffee so it's not a concern for me, but it's interesting that one cultural priority is acknowledged and not another. 

Maybe it's because in-room coffee service would require an expenditure for the coffee, while the tea can just be what is available in the Oceanview Cafe.  Or maybe the power draw or some hazard potential with a coffee maker over a kettle.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hiccups said:

I've often wondered why kettles can be provided in-room, but not coffee makers (at least I've never heard of them being provided).  I don't drink coffee so it's not a concern for me, but it's interesting that one cultural priority is acknowledged and not another. 

Maybe it's because in-room coffee service would require an expenditure for the coffee, while the tea can just be what is available in the Oceanview Cafe.  Or maybe the power draw or some hazard potential with a coffee maker over a kettle.

There is a mid deck 7 coffee/tea/cocoa station on some ships. It's closed down after dinner, though. 
They don't trust us Americans with tea kettles or coffee makers 😋😁

To the OP.  If they find prohibited items in your luggage, they confiscate them, but you are allowed to collect the item at the end of the cruise. 

Edited by Marelaine
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Kettles can also make a great cup of coffee with, for example, a French press. Mind you, Celebrity doesn't provide coffee beans as it does tea bags, and the free brewed coffee aboard is pretty foul. If it wasn't for Café al Bacio, I'd definitely bring a French press and my own coffee.

• Like 1

We’ve asked for a kettle on cruises in Alaska, the Baltic and Asia, varying ships, and always been given one. You may want to take your own teabags though as Celebrity don’t always have decent ones. Sometimes though have had twinnings or Typhoo so no way of telling what they have on board. It’s the only way of having tea made with boiling water instead of hot water!!!

27 minutes ago, Ayton lady said:

You may want to take your own teabags though as Celebrity don’t always have decent ones.

We are taking our own tea bags, Twinnings.

Never found decent tea in the USA in the last 30 odd years, even if its branded as Twinnings. 

Its just not the same.

13 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

We are taking our own tea bags, Twinnings.

Never found decent tea in the USA in the last 30 odd years, even if its branded as Twinnings. 

Its just not the same.

My grandmother always claimed that the larger the Coca Cola bottle the greater difference in taste from the original small 6 and a half oz bottle.  She refused to drink Coca Cola from a 12 oz or larger bottle.

My grandmother always claimed that the larger the Coca Cola bottle the greater difference in taste from the original small 6 and a half oz bottle.  She refused to drink Coca Cola from a 12 oz or larger bottle.

Actually, tea along with some other products are made to suit the local market they are being sold in.

So a tea bag made in the UK will not have the same blend of teas as one made in/for the USA market.
We have tried many teas in the USA and they are very different to UK teas.  

4 hours ago, Ayton lady said:

We’ve asked for a kettle on cruises in Alaska, the Baltic and Asia, varying ships, and always been given one. You may want to take your own teabags though as Celebrity don’t always have decent ones. Sometimes though have had twinnings or Typhoo so no way of telling what they have on board. It’s the only way of having tea made with boiling water instead of hot water!!!

The tea at Cafe Al Bacio is made with boiling water.  Even with a wrap on the cup, it's too hot to carry!  But I admit I don't care for the brand of tea there, at least for Earl Grey.  It's more flowery than citrusy, IMO.