Questions on Tallinn Old Town

Tom O.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:25 AM, dogs4fun said:

I found the walking tour that we used on our first visit to Tallinn. It provides walking directions from port, hits all of the high points of the old town & includes photos. If you would like a copy of the PDF, email me (address included in signature).

Email sent

On 12/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, dogs4fun said:

I found the walking tour that we used on our first visit to Tallinn. It provides walking directions from port, hits all of the high points of the old town & includes photos. If you would like a copy of the PDF, email me (address included in signature).

@dogs4fun-I sent you an email as well.  We are sailing August 9 and are trying to nail down all of our port activities.

Thanks so much for your offer!

39 minutes ago, cardbucfan said:

@dogs4fun-I sent you an email as well.  We are sailing August 9 and are trying to nail down all of our port activities.

Thanks so much for your offer!

Are you sailing on the Holland America Zuiderdam?

3 minutes ago, cardbucfan said:

Thanks @dogs4fun-I got it!!

@Tom O.-we are not.  We are on the NCL Escape.  I've sailed on the Zuiderdam before though (long time!) and really enjoyed it though!

OK, Just asking because we are on the Zuiderdam which will be visiting Tallinn, and it departs Copenhagen on Aug. 9! A bit of a coincidence. 

2 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

OK, Just asking because we are on the Zuiderdam which will be visiting Tallinn, and it departs Copenhagen on Aug. 9! A bit of a coincidence. 

What's the rest of your itinerary?!

We leave Copenhagen on the 9th as well!

Aug 10 is a sea day.

Aug 11 is Tallinn

Aug 12 & 13 St. Petersburg

Aug 14 Helsinki

Aug 15 Stockholm

Aug 16 at sea

Aug 17 Warnemunde, Germany

Aug 18 Kiel, Germany

Aug 19 Return to Copenhagen

17 hours ago, cardbucfan said:

Thanks @dogs4fun-I got it!!

@Tom O.-we are not.  We are on the NCL Escape.  I've sailed on the Zuiderdam before though (long time!) and really enjoyed it though!

Oh I hope you'll do a review of your trip!  We are on the Escape in September and would love to hear any tips/tricks, etc.  and of course the dailies would be wonderful 🙂  Have a great trip!

@Tom O.-we'll be one day behind you for most of the ports! We go right to Warnemunde after Copenhagen then hit all those same ports. So we'll be in Copenhagen the same time lol.  We are getting in 2 days before the cruise but flying out on the 19th.  What about you?

@DebQ5-have no fear- I always do a review!  (Don't usually include the Dailies though so I'll try to remember to do that this time).

cardbucfan: Sorry we probably won't run into you. But it is just as well that the ports stagger the ship arrivals. It avoids the ports being too crowded. Especially when one of the ships is the very large Escape.

We are staying two nights in a hotel in Copenhagen before the cruise, in order to recover from jetlag. We have never been to Northern Europe, so this will be a real adventure.

Have fun on your cruise!

cardbucfan,

Forgot to mention that we are also just flying out on the 19th.

We have decided to not do any tours in Copenhagen - we will just take it easy and walk around the center of the city.

We are staying at The Square Hotel, which is right next to the City Hall. Should be plenty to see around there.

As someone else with some mobility issues, I agree with John Bull's advice to start at the top of old town and work your way through the city back to the port to minimize your walking. That is what I did this past spring but used the local bus rather than taxi.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:25 AM, dogs4fun said:

Please note that I rarely check this thread. If you would like a copy of the above mentioned tour, you must email me as I won't be responding to posts on this thread.

Edited by dogs4fun

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 5:25 AM, dogs4fun said:

I would like a copy of the walking tour, but I don't know how to email you. Sorry

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, John Bull said:

But can I suggest that if you take a taxi ask the driver to drop you at the top  of old town. 

Super views, then work your way down the steep cobbled streets to the heart of the town - waaaay less strenuous than going up

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks for that suggestion.  Is there a specific name for the place that we should ask the cab driver to drop us? 

We took a 3 year old with us on the Baltic cruise, and he had a wonderful time.  As others have noted, you should take a cab to the top of Toompea hill.  Please note that you may also enjoy a pedicab ride (that can be a brief one, or one of the whole old town).  There was also a silly tourist train we rode on for our son, but it has open windows and went right through the street so it turned out to be quite nice, and we sat in the back so we even managed to get some good pictures.   

I'd also strongly recommend a private tour of just your family in St. Petersburg, and please look at the review in my signature line for more ways we minimized walking on our cruise.