“Buffet” now offered in the Discoveries (MDR)

LuAnn

This is new for us. We were on Quest in mid August and it was not offered. The menu is still available and any “regular” breakfast items not on the menu (eg waffles/pancakes etc) are still available. But there is a ‘cold” station with cereals, fruits, meats and cheeses, a bread station with rolls etc and then a hot station with bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs etc. 

And you can “combine” both...order off the menu and then go to the buffet for other items. Works well as far as we can tell...at least for us. Anyone else had this on board?

Yes they did it on Pursuit last year. On Journey they don’t always do it, depends how full the ship is.  Problem we found on Pursuit, staff were unwilling to get you freshly cooked eggs or bacon from the kitchen. One time we specifically asked for freshly cooked and then saw  the waiter just get it from the serving dish.  As it was lukewarm and the egg not done as asked we sent it back, he got the message. 

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I hope it doesn't become the normal practice, we much prefer Discoveries breakfast served freshly cooked, the buffet should remain in Windows.

I agree it also makes the place difficult to navigate through between those at the buffet servers at the galley etc. Maybe having cold items on the buffet is fine but like you the main reason we opt for the slower service is fresh cook items. If you want speed there is deck 9 it’s properly geared up for it. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, LuAnn said:

This is new for us. We were on Quest in mid August and it was not offered. The menu is still available and any “regular” breakfast items not on the menu (eg waffles/pancakes etc) are still available. But there is a ‘cold” station with cereals, fruits, meats and cheeses, a bread station with rolls etc and then a hot station with bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs etc. 

And you can “combine” both...order off the menu and then go to the buffet for other items. Works well as far as we can tell...at least for us. Anyone else had this on board?

and that was one of the features we liked last week. We did do a lot of combining. We did the buffet for the starter items and then ordered our hot food off the menu. Good idea in our opinion. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I hope it doesn't become the normal practice, we much prefer Discoveries breakfast served freshly cooked to order, the buffet should remain available only in Windows.

You can do it which ever way you choose. There was no problem with confusion as the buffet part is just that and the hot foods and/or cold ones you order are brought to you by the wait staff. We never ran into anyone else or had cold food, but we had all the lox, etc for instance we wanted by serving ourselves. The only time there was a lot of confusion was on the last day prior to the end of the cruise when they had a very special brunch. Now, that was a nightmare, good but still packed and everyone was running into someone else. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

You can do it which ever way you choose. There was no problem with confusion as the buffet part is just that and the hot foods and/or cold ones you order are brought to you by the wait staff. We never ran into anyone else or had cold food, but we had all the lox, etc for instance we wanted by serving ourselves. The only time there was a lot of confusion was on the last day prior to the end of the cruise when they had a very special brunch. Now, that was a nightmare, good but still packed and everyone was running into someone else. 

uktog has posted an issue above. That was my point. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Yes, I also agree that a mish mash is not something I'd like. I did enjoy the breakfast fruit service in Discoveries on Pursuit, but they should concentrate on cooking breakfast in the kitchen. 

Phil 

Hot breakfast was always from the Discoveries kitchen on Journey in October, with cold items on the small buffet.  Nice to choose your own fruit and maybe add a piece or two or three of cheese or salmon.

On a corollary topic, Discoveries is serving a la carte, not buffet, before tonight's Azamazing Evening.  Haven't seen that before.

2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Hot breakfast was always from the Discoveries kitchen on Journey in October, with cold items on the small buffet.  Nice to choose your own fruit and maybe add a piece or two or three of cheese or salmon.

On a corollary topic, Discoveries is serving a la carte, not buffet, before tonight's Azamazing Evening.  Haven't seen that before.

Yes I should have said I did get freshly cooked on Journey, however the layout of the buffet vs servers coming from the kitchen wasn't good.  Timing was also an issue (hot food arriving whilst still eating fruit, I forgot Phils tip not to order hot until I was finishing the fruit) meant it was too stressful - ok a first world problem.  I am very much in the camp of leave the breakfast as waiter service only sorry.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Yes I should have said I did get freshly cooked on Journey, however the layout of the buffet vs servers coming from the kitchen wasn't good.  Timing was also an issue (hot food arriving whilst still eating fruit, I forgot Phils tip not to order hot until I was finishing the fruit) meant it was too stressful - ok a first world problem.  I am very much in the camp of leave the breakfast as waiter service only sorry.

we were lucky I guess. Our food was perfect. If we hadn't finished our cold plate we just started on the hot food and and took bites of the starter food inbetween bite of the hot food. I thought it worked much better than when we ordered our entire meal at the same time and seems something was always cold. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

we were lucky I guess. Our food was perfect. If we hadn't finished our cold plate we just started on the hot food and and took bites of the starter food inbetween bite of the hot food. I thought it worked much better than when we ordered our entire meal at the same time and seems something was always cold. 

I could never mix the tastes of the hot and cold food.

I have never had an issue with it being timed correctly and a good heat when its run as a traditional table service.  A good waiter can time it for you no problem.  

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Agree.  Worked well for us.  Better than having someone else decide what fruit to give to me.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tv24 said:

The buffet is up in Windows and it is just fine.  No reason to duplicate it in the dining room.  Silly idea.

Sorry, but try getting poached eggs with sunchokes over polenta in Windows. 

The ability to choose your own fruit (e.g., kadota fig rather than kiwi, no unripe honeydew) rather than getting an entire plate that you don't want, or to get a piece or two of salmon (healthier protein choice than bacon) rather ordering the full plate with bagel, cream cheese, capers, etc., is a treat.  And I've never had an issue "navigating" past it.  If someone wants to be served all their choices just order off the menu and stay in your seat as before.  I don't see the problem.  Ask to be seated in the back if seeing others at the mini-buffet offends you.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 3

Seeing is not the issue. It’s navigating it with servers also coming out of the kitchen. I’ve tried! 
Never had an issue getting exactly the portion in the MDR just explain to the server- and happy to watch others if they really want to use it. 

By the way we noted significant wastage at the end of that buffet. Not sure how this equates with Windows waste 

3 hours ago, tv24 said:

The buffet is up in Windows and it is just fine.  No reason to duplicate it in the dining room.  Silly idea.

It may be "fine" but is not the same quality as these events in the MDR.  It's not even close.  I would argue that the spread is better than anything you could get in either Discoveries or Windows.  It's meant to be a higher class brunch and I remember music in there as well.  These events were very popular on our cruise.  I'm hoping they do more of these on our next Azamara cruise.  

41 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I would have no objection to a self service fruit, serial and juice station but cooked items should be to order only in Discoveries, if you want total self service it is available in  Windows.

I agree.  Hot items should be prepared in the kitchen.  I'd add cheese, salmon, cold cuts.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Never had an issue getting exactly the portion in the MDR just explain to the server...

Someone lectured us here a few months ago that we shouldn't make special requests of servers to modify menu items or ask for off-menu items as that would result in delays and disruptions in both service and the kitchen negatively affecting other passengers.  Won't mention who that was, but it makes no sense to me to order a breakfast salmon plate and then ask to hold the bagel, and the cream cheese, and the capers, and the onion, when I can walk to the small, cold buffet and pick up two pieces of salmon myself...oh, and, while I'm there, maybe a piece of that good-looking brie that doesn't even appear anywhere on the breakfast menu so I wouldn't otherwise have thought of it.

Sorry, I really don't see a problem with it.  Host Grandma nailed it in her post #4 above.  Best of both worlds, in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Sorry, but try getting poached eggs with sunchokes over polenta in Windows. 

The ability to choose your own fruit (e.g., kadota fig rather than kiwi, no unripe honeydew) rather than getting an entire plate that you don't want, or to get a piece or two of salmon (healthier protein choice than bacon) rather ordering the full plate with bagel, cream cheese, capers, etc., is a treat.  And I've never had an issue "navigating" past it.  If someone wants to be served all their choices just order off the menu and stay in your seat as before.  I don't see the problem.  Ask to be seated in the back if seeing others at the mini-buffet offends you.

You feel exactly the way we do. WE love the idea of having our hot food come out hot while enjoying picking the fresh foods we enjoy including extra salmon and bagels. I can't imagine anyone who has a problem with this. For those who want to go to Windows, that is fine, but for those of us who prefer the new set up I hope they keep it the way it is. It also gives everyone in your group a chance to choose how they want to handle their breakfast. I know it sure worked for us. 

• Like 1