“Buffet” now offered in the Discoveries (MDR)

LuAnn

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

That is how it is done. You choose what you want from the starter selection and the amount and leave the preparing of the hot food to the kitchen.  

That's not what others have said, some cooked items were available buffet style.

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

That's not what others have said, some cooked items were available buffet style.

Which is why I commented. Colour me confused.  I’ll find out soon and will report back.  I want my hot food cooked in the kitchen.  That’s all.  I think buffet fruits etc is a great idea.

Phil

29 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

If they go sneaking off to the buffet to get my hot stuff there will be hell to pay. Haha 

Phil 

This all sounds like another potential downgrade of the service to me. 

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

It may be "fine" but is not the same quality as these events in the MDR.  It's not even close.  I would argue that the spread is better than anything you could get in either Discoveries or Windows.  It's meant to be a higher class brunch and I remember music in there as well.  These events were very popular on our cruise.  I'm hoping they do more of these on our next Azamara cruise.  

I'm sorry Hub.  I should have been more clear.  I think the special brunches in Discoveries are great and truly special events.  My negative comment applied to the new idea of having a quasi-buffet each morning in Discoveries.  Sorry.

6 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Someone lectured us here a few months ago that we shouldn't make special requests of servers to modify menu items or ask for off-menu items

As this is clearly a dig at me, I will respond.  Asking the server to bring a small portion of an item on the menu is not modifying the menu item.  Asking for a particular fruit from fruit that is already on offer is not modifying items.

Glad you are continuing to keep such a close record of all my posts, keep it up! 

Well CCers...they only sure thing in life is CHANGE right!! 🙂 🙂

So today in the MDR for breakfast there was the 1) cold buffet items table and 2) the rolls/muffins etc table. But NO hot buffet item table! I went around the corner to check out what was there and viola’...it was gone!! I asked and was told that the “boss” decided that the food was getting cold and discontinued the ‘hot” table.

So...for now...you can get your cold items via the buffet and your pastries...but all hot items are again only available from your server. And you can also order your cold items from your server if you so choose. So that’s the “latest” on the Journey!!! 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

So today in the MDR for breakfast there was the 1) cold buffet items table and 2) the rolls/muffins etc table. But NO hot buffet item table! I went around the corner to check out what was there and viola’...it was gone!! I asked and was told that the “boss” decided that the food was getting cold and discontinued the ‘hot” table.

So...for now...you can get your cold items via the buffet and your pastries...but all hot items are again only available from your server. And you can also order your cold items from your server if you so choose. So that’s the “latest” on the Journey!!! 🙂

That’s interesting thanks for the update LuAnn. Glad hot items are back coming straight from the kitchen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tv24 said:

I'm sorry Hub.  I should have been more clear.  I think the special brunches in Discoveries are great and truly special events.  My negative comment applied to the new idea of having a quasi-buffet each morning in Discoveries.  Sorry.

Oh, I was thrown for a loop by the thread. I think it was my misunderstanding and not yours.  Those brunches are great and I'm relieved that they are staying.  I like the regular MDR breakfast and I am thinking that is what room service delivers. 

20 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Well that is good news. Color me one who was not pleased with the idea that the MDR breakfast was going to be less formal. Does anyone know if this whole idea extends to Quest?

On 12/25/2019 at 7:24 AM, NC&KY said:

Well that is good news. Color me one who was not pleased with the idea that the MDR breakfast was going to be less formal. Does anyone know if this whole idea extends to Quest?

Not sure about what is on Quest right this minute but this concept was not in place when we were on the T/P this past August. 

On 12/24/2019 at 6:40 AM, Bloodaxe said:

I didn't mean to indicate cooked items were not available at the buffet, I was simply saying you can order off the menu of choose only the buffet or better combine your meal with both order and serve yourself. We did this on our cruise. We would get what we wanted at the buffer as starters and order our hot breakfast from our waiter. 

54 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I didn't mean to indicate cooked items were not available at the buffet, I was simply saying you can order off the menu of choose only the buffet or better combine your meal with both order and serve yourself. We did this on our cruise. We would get what we wanted at the buffer as starters and order our hot breakfast from our waiter. 

I don't recall seeing hot items on Journey in October but perhaps I wasn't looking for them as I was ordering menu items that wouldn't be on a buffet.

1 minute ago, marinaro44 said:

I don't recall seeing hot items on Journey in October but perhaps I wasn't looking for them as I was ordering menu items that wouldn't be on a buffet.

I did not see it on Journey only on Pursuit which is where I had the waiters trying to just serve from the less than hot dishes . Others posted they did try it on Journey in mid December (they didn’t in November and early December) but it was pulled after a few days. I think the phrase was following a review by the manager, I presume they mean Heike or Iwan