Windstar Cancels 20 Cruises After Asbestos Discovered During Refurbishment

sunsetme

I agree. 

This will be my first WS cruise. Now shortened to 15 days from 23 due to the loss of Barcelona to Miami. So, from me, they are getting much less money.

As well, it seems they are illogically relocating the Legend to some place it makes no sense to be at that time of year.  She was due to go into dry dock, but there is no way they should put 1/3 of their fleet into dry dock at the same time, so I'm guessing they'll either bring the Legend back to the Caribbean empty or put on a last minute cruise after she discharges me in Lisbon. 

The Legend and Pride will be out of service longer than anticipated when they do end up in dry dock. So there's compounding loss revenue. 

Goodness knows if the ship yard will be able to do the stretching on them when the Breeze is finally out, or if it is booked for some other work with another cruise line. I'm hearing the Stars are in need of these refits so that might further drive away patronage. 

So, for those of you who love Windstar, stay loyal because the company now needs you more than ever. Hopefully, I'll be joining your ranks but I reserve judgement until I get to Lisbon!

2 hours ago, Chipshot from Michigan said:

Let's see whether Windstar gets the Legend and Pride back to sailing before Boeing's 737 MAX takes to the skies with passengers again.  How ironic it would be to fly one to a cruise on the other.

Comparing the discovery of asbestos in an engine room to the disaster of the Boeing 737 MAX is ridiculous.  It is not uncommon for asbestos to show up during renovations and it certainly was not due to any negligence on the part of Windstar. We cannot say the same for Boeing.

5 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

Comparing the discovery of asbestos in an engine room to the disaster of the Boeing 737 MAX is ridiculous.  It is not uncommon for asbestos to show up during renovations and it certainly was not due to any negligence on the part of Windstar. We cannot say the same for Boeing.

Um, where did I make a comparison between the two situations?  I'm talking only about timing. And while Boeing is completely to blame for its woes, Windstar is still suffering.

Whether the presence of asbestos should have been investigated or disclosed may yet be the subject of litigation which I won't be surprised to learn about via this forum.

Happy sailing.