New York for a few nights before Cape Liberty

DaisyDoo246

Planning on a cruise from Cape Liberty after 3/4 nights in NYC. If I fly into JFK how long in a taxi/cost would it be roughly to the cruise terminal and then when coming home is it easier to disembark and fly from Newark or JFK back to the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Taxi from JFK to Cape Liberty in Bayonne would be about $120 minimum. I think a car service would be a better option. Dial 7 and Carmel Limo are recommended, ask if tips/tolls included in their estimate. EWR is much closer and more convenient than JFK for disembarking and embarking.

3 hours ago, DaisyDoo246 said:

Planning on a cruise from Cape Liberty after 3/4 nights in NYC. If I fly into JFK how long in a taxi/cost would it be roughly to the cruise terminal and then when coming home is it easier to disembark and fly from Newark or JFK back to the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Certainly for your flight home EWR is vastly more convenient than JFK, and ground transportation costs to EWR from Cape Liberty will be much cheaper than to JFK. You need to price out your total costs...air and ground, as well as the flight schedules to make an informed decision . If airfares are about the same you're going to save money, not to mention time, by flying home from EWR.

If you're staying in Manhattan before the cruise NY City taxi fares from JFK to Manhattan are fixed . Here's the official fare

Trips between Manhattan and John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in either direction:

$52

Plus 50 cents MTA State Surcharge.

Plus 30 cents Improvement Surcharge.

$4.50 rush hour surcharge (4pm to 8pm weekdays, excluding legal holidays).

Plus New York State Congestion Surcharge of $2.50 (Yellow Taxi) or $2.75 (Green Taxi and FHV) or 75 cents (any shared ride) for all trips that begin, end or pass through Manhattan south of 96th Street.

Plus tips and any tolls.

The on-screen rate message should read "Rate #2- JFK Airport."

From Manhattan to Cape Liberty do not take a NY City taxi. They are not required to take you to anywhere in NJ other than EWR and even if a taxi agrees to do so the fare is not regulated and you may pay far too much. i'd suggest you take a care service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7. 

If you are spending a few days in NYC prior to your cruise you should stay in NYC.  Taxi from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is $75-$80 (fixed price, depending on time of day) which includes fare, fees, tolls, and 20% tip.

Then getting to the cruise terminal in NJ is your only question and there are a few answers

Let’s get more details on your plans.  Exact date you fly into JFK?  Exact date of cruise?  Reading between the lines on your post, I am interpreting the following:

1) Fly into JFK.  Question:  is flying into EWR an option?

2) Stay in Manhattan hotel - njhorseman has explained the taxi rates from JFK to Manhattan. Question:  which hotel?

3) Go to Cape Liberty - Nitemare referred to this as an as yet unanswered item

4) Fly home.  $120+ to get to JFK.  Probably under $40-50 using Uber/Lyft to EWR (and a much shorter trip)

Another question - is any kind of public transit an option for you with luggage?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, Topdog52 said:

Has anyone stayed at the Club Quarters Hotel, World Trade Center? I am torn between this and the courtyard by Marriott a block away. 

I have not stayed at the CQ at the WTC, but I have stayed at five other ones (San Francisco, Wash DC, 2 in Chicago and Philadelphia). I love them. Their market is the business traveller, so they have lots of business services available. The rooms are often small, but you'll have access to a 'Club Living Room' which is a nicely furnished lounge.  There's usually a coffee machine, and some CQs offer an evening social Mon-Thu. Courtyard's target market, as I recall, was also the business traveller, so in some sense they're similar.