Docked in Colon only 4 hrs in the evening

Jay Bee

I booked a Caribbean cruise that spends a day cruising the canal (half transit from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.) and then docks in Colon from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. I hadn't looked at the itinerary closely enough before booking, and made the assumption that Colon would be a full day so we could tour the locks. Since the cruise isn't until 2022, Celebrity doesn't yet have information on what will be offered, but I'm not really optimistic. I seem to remember the lock area closes late in the afternoon.

Has anyone been on a similar cruise? Is it possible they'd let people off the ship during the day, if they choose to go on an excursion? What is there to do in Colon between 5 and 9 besides dinner?

The are many discussions here on how this works. You will sail in, lock up to Gatun Lake, and only those on excursions will be allowed to tender ashore while in Gatun Lake.  Then the ship will go through the locks back out and dock in Colon for a few hours to recover those that went on excursions in Gatun Lake. They probably won't offer any excursions while docked, and other than shopping in the dock area,  there isn't anything in the dock area.

If you want dinner in Colon... make sure you dine on the ship!!😉  There is a shopping mall attached to where the ship docks which may have a few things that possibly pique your interest, but there is not really any "must see" there.  Colon is not a place for touring on your own.  The purpose of the short port call is to pickup the passengers who disembarked in Gatun Lake for shore excursions as Bruce mentioned.  If you elect a shore excursion when the ship reaches Gatun Lake the only thing you will miss is the return trip through Gatun Locks and the short sail to the pier in Colon.  Most of this is ground you have already covered, so it would be a good chance for you to take in the Locks from shore side.

By chance are you going on the Edge?  If so you will be using the new locks of Agua Clara on the Atlantic side.  They have an excursion called Expansion of the Panama Canal, The Present and The Future.  Presently that excursion  takes you to the Agua Clara Locks and the Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side.  Currently there is not a visitor's center at the original locks at Gatun.

Last time we docked in Colon, it was for bunkers and we were advised to go ashore in groups of at least 6 and to stay out of the shadows. On leaving the docks and saw 2 chaps staring at our group - 1 with a gun and the other sharpening a knife. We pulled a 180 and returned to the ship.

Unless on a ship's tour, I wouldn't go past the terminal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 2:26 PM, BillB48 said:

If you want dinner in Colon... make sure you dine on the ship!!😉  There is a shopping mall attached to where the ship docks which may have a few things that possibly pique your interest, but there is not really any "must see" there.  Colon is not a place for touring on your own.  The purpose of the short port call is to pickup the passengers who disembarked in Gatun Lake for shore excursions as Bruce mentioned.  If you elect a shore excursion when the ship reaches Gatun Lake the only thing you will miss is the return trip through Gatun Locks and the short sail to the pier in Colon.  Most of this is ground you have already covered, so it would be a good chance for you to take in the Locks from shore side.

By chance are you going on the Edge?  If so you will be using the new locks of Agua Clara on the Atlantic side.  They have an excursion called Expansion of the Panama Canal, The Present and The Future.  Presently that excursion  takes you to the Agua Clara Locks and the Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side.  Currently there is not a visitor's center at the original locks at Gatun.

I was researching on what to do in Colon for our next cruise in April, going with NCL Pearl. So the advice is to go down in Colon, check this shop and then just come back to the cruise right? thats it, nothing else?

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Perhaps it would be helpful not to think of Colon as a normal port call, but as the place where your ship, doing a partial transit, will dock for a relatively short time in order for guests who took tours after the Gatun Locks to re-embark.

But going down in Colon IS allowed right?

On 2/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, Comi.uy said:

I was researching on what to do in Colon for our next cruise in April, going with NCL Pearl. So the advice is to go down in Colon, check this shop and then just come back to the cruise right? thats it, nothing else?

The mall I am referencing is at the pier, this is the only place at this stop you should go on your own.  Do not venture outside the walled area of the parking lot and it is not uncommon for locals to remind you not to go any further.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...