Seaside specialty dining and packages?

mycakewalk

Hello! Does anyone have any experience with purchasing any specialty dining packages? We are not picky foodies, but wondering if it's worth it to buy a package or if we feel in the mood just spontaneously go without a package. I'm more than fine with main dining room and buffet options just wondering if anyone would like to share their feedback and experiences. Was there anything that was a standout? With or even without the packages!

Thanks

Hi. We purchased the Tryptic dining package on Seaside and Meraviglia this year.  In hindsight,  the food in the MDR was so good that we felt the dining package was not necessary. Having said that, we loved Butcher's Cut, liked the Asian restaurant, especially on Meraviglia where I tried sushi for the first time, and Ocean Cay (the restaurant) was just ok. The package is great value as the prices without a package are eye-watering. There are a few combinations available now including Tapas and Cirque du Soleil.

8 hours ago, mycakewalk said:

thank you for the feedback. I do see the value after glancing at some menus and seeing the prices for when you don't purchase the dining package! It does seem like a good deal and great value for what the package costs! 

Be aware that you are presented with a 'Dining Experience' menu which is limited.  However, this wasn't a big problem in BC & Asian but, in any of the speciality restaurants, you can choose a dish from the main menu at a 50% discount. 

14 hours ago, CruiseIreland said:

Be aware that you are presented with a 'Dining Experience' menu which is limited.  However, this wasn't a big problem in BC & Asian but, in any of the speciality restaurants, you can choose a dish from the main menu at a 50% discount. 

Do you remember any of the differences? It seems like a lot of upcharge to dine with a special dining package and then 50% for an item. I'm sure food cost is higher for those items- just wondering. Some of the menu's I've seen online hint that there is a 'dining experience' but the menu looks confusing on what is and isn't included.

13 hours ago, George C said:

We liked Butcher cut , if your Diamond/black status you get one free specialty restaurant for free. Msc gives you matching status from other cruise lines.

We are not any significant status yet and any lines, we're new-ish to cruising and trying out different lines and ships. The Seaside looks gorgeous and has plenty of outside spots to take in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, CruiseIreland said:

Hi. We purchased the Tryptic dining package on Seaside and Meraviglia this year.  In hindsight,  the food in the MDR was so good that we felt the dining package was not necessary. 

Our finding exactly. We had 2 comp meals in Butchers Cut and the service was awful. There is little choice in either the fish or Oriental restaurants.

The MDR food was outstanding. Different choice everyday, with the classics available on every evening if you didn't fancy trying something new. Portions were of a good size,  (I could never finish mine) and the waiters are top notch.

20 hours ago, mycakewalk said:

Do you remember any of the differences? It seems like a lot of upcharge to dine with a special dining package and then 50% for an item. I'm sure food cost is higher for those items- just wondering. Some of the menu's I've seen online hint that there is a 'dining experience' but the menu looks confusing on what is and isn't included.

Yes, as a meat eater, I loved BC as filet mignon was available on the restricted menu. Even my wife ordered it. In the Asian restaurant, she struggled and ordered off the main menu. In Ocean Cay, on Seaside, she managed to get what she liked but on Meraviglia, being in Europe, the menu was not as good. Also, even with the Premium drinks package, choice of wines was limited in MDR and specialty restaurants.