Italy/Greece in May

Fnigro07

Look at a site like weather.com to get historical averages for the places you'll visit. "Italy" and "Greece" are large areas and there can be a big difference between the weather in Florence, Italy and the weather in Santorini, Greece for example.

In my experience, by May 28th it's going to be warmer than 70. Looking at weather.com, the highs in Rome around that time (end of May) are about 80 degrees.

I would plan to wear (as a woman) capris or ankle pants and short-sleeved or 3/4 sleeve shirts, possibly bringing a lightweight jacket (rain jacket if possibility of rain, or even a light cardigan) for cooler morning or evening temps. All of these would work onboard ship during sea days as well. A skirt or sundress could take the place of the pants if preferred.

• Like 1

We cruised the Med--including Italy and Greece earlier in May than that--mid May--and it was warm to very warm each day.  Of course weather can vary, but we had no rain and temps were mostly in the 80's--and very, very hot in Ephesus.

We wore shorts (mine are about knee length) every day except in Istanbul, where it was somewhat cooler--but not jacket cool.

I don't typically use the pool on cruises and this cruise was very port intensive, so not much time for that, but people were definitely using it.

Of course i would bring a variety of choices, such as capris,a  sweaters and a jacket and a pair or two of slacks as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

i spent a summer in italy years ago (last april to july). i lived in florence and traveled around italy. its quite warm there. i'm from florida and used to the heat. at least there wasn't a huge level of humidity. be prepared when you visit ports that you are dressed appropriately as many places will not allow you inside wearing shorts or tank tops (even sometimes just sleeveless shirts).

and we did go swimming in northern italy in mid-may and the water was warm enough.

Edited by adventuredancer

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I sailed to the med was 8 years ago....one of the best memories I will ever have......

Loved that cruise so much.:classic_biggrin:   As for the weather, I also sailed in May and to be honest, it was warm out

during the day. I wore capri's/short sleeve tops for daytime tours.   I can't recall being at the pool because

the cruise was very port intensive and the biggest reason I took it---wanted to see all the wonderful places:classic_smile:

You are going in late May? My best suggestion is to check the weather in those

places a few days before you leave and it will give you a much better idea of the temps to expect.

Wishing you a wonderful honeymoon:classic_smile:

We did the med 15th May onwards in 2019 and had 3 wet days out of 7. So my advice is prepare for all. I packed a raincoat with hood and wished I had taken an umbrella  too and waterproof shoes instead of just Sketchers. On the good days it was a pleasant temp late 60's. Hth 

On 12/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, Fnigro07 said:

We will be going on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon May 28th! I have heard it is typically around 70 degrees and too cold for the pool! What does everyone wear this time of year? 

technically you'll be there more in early June & you will more than likely have very warm to hot weather, but I'd still prepare for rain or cool weather....  for myself, in warm weather travel I have two long silk skirts, one navy, with slits on the sides, and the other a ver dark grey, with a slit up the front,   I pair these with cropped (but not skin showing) linen knit tank tops... these are my summer "go to"  I've got a few from JCrew, Banana Republic, etc.    Throw a linen or thin cotton ruana in your bag for entering churches & Cathedrals.   Also longer sleeveless sundresses work well, with a ruin in your bag for churches.  In more "beachy" towns, like say, Nice  or Antibes,  I'll wear linen shorts.  

Shoe wise that time of year I'm either wearing birks or even my Nike flyknits with socks... yes I'll wear them with dresses.  

I always travel with several hats...  gotta keep the sun off your face.  My favorite is the Tilley TH9...  I own 3 of them lol 

this is the hat, & i'm wearing linen shorts, a graphic tee, & my cargo jacket that goes with me no matter what time of year I'm traveling:IMG_7424.thumb.jpg.2b0431fd4d1d0dba60d14b5486e753f1.jpg

Edit to add:  I'm sorry, I have no idea why this picture is so giant!!!  I meant it to be tiny. 

Edited by cruise kitty
giant photo, but can't seem to fix, sorry guys

8 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

This is so helpful!!! Thank you so much 

8 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

technically you'll be there more in early June & you will more than likely have very warm to hot weather, but I'd still prepare for rain or cool weather....  for myself, in warm weather travel I have two long silk skirts, one navy, with slits on the sides, and the other a ver dark grey, with a slit up the front,   I pair these with cropped (but not skin showing) linen knit tank tops... these are my summer "go to"  I've got a few from JCrew, Banana Republic, etc.    Throw a linen or thin cotton ruana in your bag for entering churches & Cathedrals.   Also longer sleeveless sundresses work well, with a ruin in your bag for churches.  In more "beachy" towns, like say, Nice  or Antibes,  I'll wear linen shorts.  

Shoe wise that time of year I'm either wearing birks or even my Nike flyknits with socks... yes I'll wear them with dresses.  

I always travel with several hats...  gotta keep the sun off your face.  My favorite is the Tilley TH9...  I own 3 of them lol 

this is the hat, & i'm wearing linen shorts, a graphic tee, & my cargo jacket that goes with me no matter what time of year I'm traveling:IMG_7424.thumb.jpg.2b0431fd4d1d0dba60d14b5486e753f1.jpg

Edit to add:  I'm sorry, I have no idea why this picture is so giant!!!  I meant it to be tiny. 

• Like 1

We have sailed to Med in early May three times.  Temps varied from day to day, and throughout the day, but ashore I was never tempted to wear anything other than long slacks, sometimes with a short-sleeve jersey, sometimes with jersey, sweater, and jacket.

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We have sailed to Med in early May three times.  Temps varied from day to day, and throughout the day, but ashore I was never tempted to wear anything other than long slacks, sometimes with a short-sleeve jersey, sometimes with jersey, sweater, and jacket.

Our trips in early May have tended to run on the cooler side,   Mid May, we've had days where we were bundled up, included gloves in Barcelona,  but late May,  especially in Greece, Rome (& anywhere S. of Rome)  has been warm to hot....  plus, it's her honeymoon, so I'm guessing she's looking dress more on the cute, romantic side, rather than the completely practical.  

Everyone's personal comfort level is different, but for myself, slacks in Greece in June, I would probably have heat stroke.  :)