London Pub/Gastropub recommendations

markeb

We're spending a week in London starting at the end of this week. We're staying at the Marriott Park Lane (on Marriott points, thank you). We have reservations at Benares (ate there last Christmas and loved it), Hamilton and Come From Away. 

With the growth of chains such as Wetherspoons, do any of the Londoners have good pub recommendations (or gastrobubs, brewpubs), especially in Mayfair? For a variety of reasons, this isn't an overly planned trip (other than dinner and the two West End shows), and we'll  likely be over a lot of London while we're there, but I'd love recommendations! There's a decent Wetherspoon pub near our hotel, and we'll probably grab a pint and a pie there, but...

Thanks!

Its a bit subjective really - but for me I would not set foot (at least willingly) in a pub chain.  (OK - re-reading Fullers are OK...)   There are some really great independents.  If you haven't checked out Corrigans that might be worth a look.  Not your classic "pie & pint" - but absolutely and massively worthwhile.  If you want some traditional "nose to tail" style head toward Smithfeild Market.  (Not in it - there are some great places nearby).  Or Borough market if you would like to graze.  If it the beer you are after check out the Campaign for Real Ale who list suitable places.

But - as I say, its subjective.  If weatherspoons is your thing then go for it!

The mention of "Wetherspoons" in the sane sentence as "gastro-pub" raised a wry smile :classic_wink:

Wetherspoon's pubs are "OK",  and exceptional value compared to most central London pubs. Yes, fine for a pie and a pint - but they're certainly not foodies pubs.

Fullers' pubs are generally a little better,  but still don't sit comfortably alongside the word "gastro-pub". 

We've happily used both chains when in central London - unlike restaurants their prices don't appear to add a London weighting so they're very good value in London.

Away from the big bad city there are some pretty good small regional chains with under a dozen pubs - significantly better than Wetherspoons and commensurately more expensive, so equal value-for-money.

But still not what I'd call gastro-pubs.

I don't know London pubs well, but I'm inclined to agree with the Gnome - for gastro-food hunt out independent publican-owned pubs rather than managed brewery chain pubs.

That shouldn't be difficult in Mayfair, but make sure your credit card is well-loaded.:classic_ohmy:

JB :classic_smile:

Just now, John Bull said:

The mention of "Wetherspoons" in the sane sentence as "gastro-pub" raised a wry smile :classic_wink:

Wetherspoon's pubs are "OK",  and exceptional value compared to most central London pubs. Yes, fine for a pie and a pint - but they're certainly not foodies pubs.

Fullers' pubs are generally a little better,  but still don't sit comfortably alongside the word "gastro-pub". 

We've happily used both chains when in central London - unlike restaurants their prices don't appear to add a London weighting so they're very good value in London.

Away from the big bad city there are some pretty good small regional chains with under a dozen pubs - significantly better than Wetherspoons and commensurately more expensive, so equal value-for-money.

But still not what I'd call gastro-pubs.

I don't know London pubs well, but I'm inclined to agree with the Gnome - for gastro-food hunt out independent publican-owned pubs rather than managed brewery chain pubs.

That shouldn't be difficult in expensive Mayfair, but make sure your credit card is well-loaded.:classic_ohmy:

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks!

Rereading the original post (which I did read before posting!), and want to be clear that I am looking for options other than Wetherspoons! I agree that the Fuller's pubs tend to be better. Seem to recall a nice little Fuller's near Leicester Square. It's just that so many of them, definitely around London, are the same. And I'm not going to a London pub looking for a burger or nachos!

I'll check out some of the ideas. We're going to be out and about while we're there, so there will be other neighborhoods. We have an IWM membership at least through the end of the month, so we may venture to the HMS Belfast, which opens up an entirely different side of London (and the Thames). We'll see what we can find!

9 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

Its a bit subjective really - but for me I would not set foot (at least willingly) in a pub chain.  (OK - re-reading Fullers are OK...)   There are some really great independents.  If you haven't checked out Corrigans that might be worth a look.  Not your classic "pie & pint" - but absolutely and massively worthwhile.  If you want some traditional "nose to tail" style head toward Smithfeild Market.  (Not in it - there are some great places nearby).  Or Borough market if you would like to graze.  If it the beer you are after check out the Campaign for Real Ale who list suitable places.

But - as I say, its subjective.  If weatherspoons is your thing then go for it!

Corrigans -  Gastro pub ? No   Fine dining Michelin restaurant -yes.  Would agree with the Smithfield recommendation - lots of pubs around there but check for opening hours over the holidays/weekends. The Chamberlain in the Minories is a Fullers and does very decent food - you can walk to HMS Belfast from there. Straight down the road to the Tower and Tower Bridge and you're more or less there. HMS Belfast is fascinating and well worth a visit. Recommended.

On 12/24/2019 at 5:22 PM, Morgans said:

Corrigans -  Gastro pub ? No   Fine dining Michelin restaurant -yes. 

I didn't say it was.  But what is does do is a really different take on one view of traditional English food.  If OP was after a classically British "pie and a pint" Corrigans offers a really different perspective.  And yes - it is fine dining of a sort.  It certainly isn't a pub.   It isn't michelin starred either - although it has won a range of other awards.  And it is really good!