Papeete - do we need a car?

LeeW

Staying two nights both pre and post cruise next October.  Have booked hotel/condos and rental car for both ends but not sure about car on pre-cruise.  We get in at around 1900 hours and staying downtown (J & D Lodge) which looks to be within a few blocks of the pier.  Plan on spending the next day walking around downtown, so not sure we need a car pre-cruise.  Thoughts?

Post-cruise stay is Sunday to Tuesday at large hotel (Pearl Beach).  Downtown car rental is out, so planning on getting cab or shuttle to airport and picking up Hertz car there.  Will have luggage with us until we can check in to hotel (or maybe drop at hotel) and will be doing day and a half exploring island.  Even if we put 100 km on car still cheaper than unlimited mileage prices.  Thoughts?

And should we pick up local currency before we travel?

Thanks much for info!

No you really don't need a car for the beginning of your cruise unless you plan to do more than walk downtown. But an idea for you. If you stay at Fare Suisse (a very popular B&B on this board) at the start of your cruise the owner will pick you up at the airport, bring you to Fare Suisse and take you to the cruise port when you need to be there. Not as convenient for walking around the center of town (about 3/4 mile away) but in a pleasant residential area with a market and restaurants walking distance. It's modest but very clean and comfortable.

Getting a car without unlimited miles makes sense. FYI, there is a Hertz closer in Papeete about a mile from the cruise pier. Haven't done it myself but have seen the Hertz shuttle when we've disembarked. But don't know however if Hertz in Papeete offers a shuttle from their location in Papeete to the airport. But Tahitian Big Kahuna  will know and I'm sure he'll chime in on all of this. He has the real inside info! If Hertz Papeete doesn't have shuttle disregard this  as won't do you any good having to get a taxi to the airport on your return.

We always like to have about $100 local currency even though we rarely use. There are ATM's everywhere in Papeete and I've not been to any island (except for Raiatea) where there wasn't an ATM at or very close to the dock.

Edited by Petoonya

Just set it up ahead of time with Hertz to pick up in Papeete and drop off at the airport. You can do this on-line though it's a bit tricky if you've never done it before on their platform. 

I always pick up at the airport when I arrive and drop off at the Papeete location when dropping off, then they use the same car (luggage already in car) to drop me off at the pier. 

Lee - You seem to have it pretty well organised.  We stayed at the Pearl in its previous incarnation as the Radisson.  It has by far the best beach location on Tahiti with a nice view of Moorea as well.  It is a fairly big resort but without the flashiness of the IC.  When you drive the island make sure you visit Point Venus for the history and the majestic view along Matavai Bay.  Also, make sure you venture as far as Tautira for the best scenery and a flavour of what Tahiti was like several decades ago, as per my picture below. 

DSC_3053.jpg

On 12/24/2019 at 3:26 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Just set it up ahead of time with Hertz to pick up in Papeete and drop off at the airport. You can do this on-line though it's a bit tricky if you've never done it before on their platform. 

I always pick up at the airport when I arrive and drop off at the Papeete location when dropping off, then they use the same car (luggage already in car) to drop me off at the pier. 

Thanks, all. 

Coming in I have a car pickup at airport and dropoff in town, just not sure it is worth doing for only one day on island and lodging location.  If enough to do downtown will cancel that one.  Lodging might do pickup or could take cab.

Post-cruise is tougher because it gets back on Sunday when Hertz downtown is closed.  But can take cab or cruise line transfer to airport to get the car.  Technically could even pick up car Saturday night but then would have to park it at pier for debarkation on Sunday.  Late flight out so will have two full days to drive around - looking forward to that (did get rid of stick shift car 20 years ago, but will figure it out).

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

Coming in I have a car pickup at airport and dropoff in town, just not sure it is worth doing for only one day on island and lodging location.  If enough to do downtown will cancel that one.  Lodging might do pickup or could take cab.

Post-cruise is tougher because it gets back on Sunday when Hertz downtown is closed.  But can take cab or cruise line transfer to airport to get the car.  Technically could even pick up car Saturday night but then would have to park it at pier for debarkation on Sunday.  Late flight out so will have two full days to drive around - looking forward to that (did get rid of stick shift car 20 years ago, but will figure it out).

Taxi's only about $30-35 from the airport to city center so it's better than any cruise line transfer. They soak people on that! Agree, really nice to have the car on your return for two days to take your time and explore. Not really necessary pre-cruise.

Looked up J&D Lodge- looks very nice and ideally located!

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Petoonya

15 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

but  .... be careful after dark, not a good place for single gals to be walking around after dark 😉

Not meaning to hijack the thread but it's something I've never considered before. In recent years we've always stayed at Fare Suisse away from the center of town, and always back at the corral after dark. No real reason to go out after dark, but good to know all the same. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Not meaning to hijack the thread but it's something I've never considered before. In recent years we've always stayed at Fare Suisse away from the center of town, and always back at the corral after dark. No real reason to go out after dark, but good to know all the same. Thanks.

Not to bad over at Fare Suisse but downtown , at night, for gals I wouldn't so it. Down by the waterfront (food trucks) no problem..