How many outfits

coolio111

10 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We're not pool people nor gym people, so we usually wear the same things all day, then change for the evening, and wear those dressier outfits all evening.

Likewise for us, however we hit the hot tubs, so we wear our swim suits and coverups all day and then change into what we want to wear in the evening.  

• Like 1

My husband and I have been cruising for 30 years and always go home with lots of clean clothes.  every time we say we are going to pack lighter next time and never seem to.  your post has me committed to trying to do that for our 2/1 cruise! If you have room and don’t exceed airline weight limits, I still think better to over than under pack🙂.

• Like 2

I put on shorts for breakfast, take them off after breakfast and put on bathing suit.....I'm in that until dinner.  I can wear my 'breakfast shorts" for SEVERAL days....they're only on for an hour or so!  You won't need as much as you think you will.  Daytime is VERY INFORMAL....swimwear/shorts/...that's the outfit of the day.  Then something for dinner...that's all!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

Jack Reacher said it best, anything more than one is useless extra baggage.

😂  I wish I could pack as light as Jack Reacher! Love that character! 

Agree with 3 changes of clothes, one being a swimsuit, but have been known to get away easily with 2. I think we have even done 1 set of clothes if we went to the Windjammer for dinner. Depends on how hot it is and if we spend much time out on the open deck. 

• Like 1

Extra Shirts & Tshirts, can get hot/rain so couple per day with few more incase as dont take much room. Never want be without clean Underwear and would hate ever be without clean pair so I bring 2 per day minimum. Biggest thing is never want buy anything could have brought with me. As Cruise B2B total 21nites min I bring 2 bags, but split half of everything in each. One bag gets delayed/lost, I'm covered...

I spend most of a sea day in swimsuit/coverup. Change into workout clothes for late afternoon, then dress for dinner.  Port days I wear whatever is appropriate for our activities.  If I am flying to port I try to be mindful of packing light but if we are driving, then I can take as much as I want! 😂

Sherri🙂

At least 2 outfits per day. A day outfit appropriate for that day's activities, and something nicer for the evening. Plus a bathing suit and cover up for pool or Beach time.  But that doesn't necessarily mean 2 different outfits every day. I can usually get 2, or even 3 evenings out of one outfit. Daytime clothes- depends on the itinerary and time of year. If the weather is cool I might get a couple of days out of the same outfit. Hotter weather means something new each day. I only pack enough for 8 days and do laundry once a week.

43 minutes ago, mom says said:

At least 2 outfits per day. A day outfit appropriate for that day's activities, and something nicer for the evening. Plus a bathing suit and cover up for pool or Beach time.  But that doesn't necessarily mean 2 different outfits every day. I can usually get 2, or even 3 evenings out of one outfit. Daytime clothes- depends on the itinerary and time of year. If the weather is cool I might get a couple of days out of the same outfit. Hotter weather means something new each day. I only pack enough for 8 days and do laundry once a week.

I agree--if I wear a pair of shorts or a top for a couple of hours, I will wear them again another day.  If a top gets sweaty or dirty, of course that is it.  I can do 10 days without laundry except that I do wash out underwear--I don't bring enough of that for 10 days.  Over 10 days I may send out a few bigger items to be washed, if necessary.

On my last cruise (French Polynesia) I took two pair of board shorts, two bathing suits, two reef jackets, two pair of "regular" (walking) shorts, two pair of slacks, seven tops, and two casual dresses (one was white linen that I wore to our vow renewal) and a lightweight linen sweater.  All the tops were suitable for day or evening and all matched all of the walking shorts and slacks.  I took three pair of sandals (all flat thong style that took no space to pack) and a pair of water shoes.  I had a few pair of underwear, couple bras, and a nightgown.  I started and ended that trip with business meetings and personal business in LA, so packing took some thought, but it worked out perfectly.

Next year we're going to the Baltics--10 day cruise and another 6-7 days pre/post.  I'll take two pair of slacks, two pair of jeans, three short sleeved shirts, four long sleeved shirts (all will match all the pants), a no-wrinkle dress, a pair of flat sandals to wear to dinner, a pair of walking shoes (I have a pair of black Clarke's that are nice enough to wear with slacks for dinner but still casual enough to wear with jeans during the day), a lighter weight and a warm sweater and probably a couple of very lightweight chiffon or silk (ie take zero packing space) kimonos/toppers to dress up dinner outfits.  A few pair of socks and underwear, couple bras, and a pair of PJ's or nightgown.  It should all fit into a 20" rolling bag if I wear the bulkiest items on the plane.

The top that I wear to dinner I hang up and wear again.  It doesn't need laundering after I've worn it for a few hours in a climate controlled dining room.

The more we travel, the more we realize that the less we take, the more enjoyable the trip is.  I'm not advocating the extra pair of jeans, two shirts/socks/underwear, and a lightweight jacket route, but one of the most depressing things to me is ending up having to pack a bunch of things I never even wore at the end of a trip.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

My upcoming cruise is in Tahiti.

My packing list is:

3 swim suits (snorkeling at every opportunity on this trip.)

2 rash guards

1 cover up

2 pairs capris

4 tops that can be dressed up

I black maxi sundress

2 different gauzy toppers, so I can change it up with the sundress

Water shoes, leather flip flops, black wedge sandals

Pajamas & under garments for 5 days

Snorkel gear - snorkel, mask, fins

I've already purchased the laundry package, so I'll wash as I need to.  I anticipate 3 wardrobe changes most days - top and capris for breakfast, swimsuit and coverup for snorkeling / swimming, top and capris or sundress for dinner ( possibly the same ones I wore in the morning). I tend to re-wear clothing if it's only been on for a few hours.

The only reason i'll need a regular sized suitcase is to accommodate my fins. 

On 12/24/2019 at 11:46 AM, coolio111 said:

How many outfits do you use on average for a day of cruising?

So how many times do you change your clothes in one day?

One.

I get dressed in the morning and that's how I'm dressed for the day.  Now, we're not big pool/beach people, so wearing swimwear all day doesn't work for us.  If we want to go in the pool, we'll just change into our swimsuits, go in for a short while, get out, dry off in the sun, and change back into our regular clothes.

Of course, on formal nights, we do change into formal wear for the evening.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 1:46 PM, coolio111 said:

How many outfits do you use on average for a day of cruising?

So how many times do you change your clothes in one day?

Once, at most.   I wear outfits that can be worn in port / on board and still meet the evening dress code suggestions.  Meaning sundresses and lightweight slacks.  

id only change from my ‘day’ attire on formal nights where I’d be dressing up more.

Two to four depending on what I'm doing. 

- exercise clothes for a pre-breakfast walk on sea days

- casual pants and top for daywear around the ship or going ashore

- swimsuit and cover-up for pool afternoons

- eveningwear, smart casual or formal.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Interesting question.  I don't think I've ever thought of what I'm wearing as an "outfit".  😁😁😁

Nor I. I wear solid color 'bottoms' pretty much 100% of the time. So anything goes with those.