Mitsugirly needed to ESCAPE from the cold weather

mitsugirly

Ok, here’s some pictures for you.

Training zipline launch platform. I think I took this while I was walking up the trail to the top.

9B712C2F-B15A-4B76-B068-39F13BA038E1.jpeg

Truck that will transport you to the top of the big zipline.

064A84A0-11A2-4E69-B20A-71603CA67AB7.jpeg.d5180281a0ad12c37de1d602ce2befed.jpeg

At the top of the hill, the launch platform for the big zipline.

DCC100E5-6D73-454C-8DB7-434EF6F09752.jpeg

At the top of the hill while waiting out turn to approach the zipline platform we were able to watch the coaster go by.

BC71A6AC-AC60-49D1-99EF-AC53C49FD68B.jpeg

Looking down at Oasis from the waiting area at the top of the zipline. We were not on the launch platform yet.

AEDF8927-ABA3-4BF2-9C9F-B0A007DC351B.jpeg

Edited by perfect match

Looking down the zipline from the launch platform. You’re looking over Adernaline Beach with Oasis in the background.

8E403DA8-0CE3-49C0-81B5-88E2998AEC6D.jpeg

On board the parasailing boat on our way out to where we would be flying.

CFB1904F-801D-4593-A545-1DF494451775.jpeg.4baed7bdb110e30ca681d4eb75c6675d.jpeg

Some of the other people from our boat coming in for a landing. I think they might have just enjoyed the optional dip into the water. You can either ask to be dipped, or request that they not dip you. I always ask to be dipped! 

2762CB08-51FC-44B7-97AA-0DA84D2DDB4D.jpeg

Lookin down from our flight at the boat that was towing us.

F49C40ED-4F67-4437-88AB-F488A49B5499.jpeg

Oasis, taken during our flight. 

143F9BC7-4121-4769-8BB3-2F9578DCF5E1.jpeg.3f6902c7f3baf94310b8ceb0ca1a98d5.jpeg

Edited by perfect match

Kim, I hope these pictures help you get a feel for Labadee. You have helped so many other cruisers with your reviews that if I can give back just a little bit to you, I’m happy to do it.

We had a great time ziplining and parasailing there, and I truly felt very safe the whole time. Listen to the guide’s directions, do as they tell you, and you’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t suggest trying more that two activities while you are at Labadee. I’m sure you will want to explore the island, have lunch, and spend some time on one of the beaches while you’re there. Also, your leg will most likely need a break during the day.

When you go on your cruise planner to book your second activity, the cruise planner will automatically block out times that are too close to your first activity. I added an extra 1/2 hour between our zipline and our parasail over what the cruise planner allowed because I thought we would want the extra time. We could have easily made it from one activity to the other, but we were happy to have that extra time.

Be aware that the vendors at Labadee can be aggressive, especially the ones outside, along the path to the Columbus Cove beach. They will try and hand you something, then once you’re holding it, try to insist you buy it. Be careful around them. The vendors inside the building right near the tram stop are much better.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:28 PM, perfect match said:

If your feet are apart, no chance they will hit the wires. No need to waste time worrying about it. Just remember to come into the platform with your feet apart. Seriously, I thought it was perfectly safe. 

Try the zipline on Oasis before you get to Labadee. It’s short, but fun to zip over the Boardwalk. Shoes (not sandals) are required, no cameras or jewelry of any kind allowed on that one. They can’t take the chance of anything coming off of the person ziplining and falling down onto the Boardwalk.

BTW, if you do the Ultimate Abyss slide (the big purple dry slide on the aft end of the ship) wear a shirt with sleeves and be sure to pay attention to how they tell you to hold your arms so you don’t get abrasions on your arms from rubbing against the slide. We did the Ultimate Abyss on Symphony and thought it was fun. As long as you do what they tell you, you won’t get hurt. I can’t report on the water slides because we simply never got there. With all there is to do on Oasis class ships, it’s impossible to do everything.

Ok, I'm just not going to worry too much and I'll definitely listen to what they are saying to stay safe.

Is the Oasis zipline free? I completely understand about not carrying anything while on the zipline on there. Makes perfect sense. I remember reading something saying they zipline over the Boardwalk? Is that correct? If so, I might have to be on my balcony to take pictures of the others going and vice versa.

I really really want to do the Abyss but man that drop just kinda freaks me out thinking if I was to hit or jab my foot in any way. I'll have to play it by ear when I get there.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:25 AM, perfect match said:

Ok, here’s some pictures for you.

Training zipline launch platform. I think I took this while I was walking up the trail to the top.

9B712C2F-B15A-4B76-B068-39F13BA038E1.jpeg

At the top of the hill, the launch platform for the big zipline.

DCC100E5-6D73-454C-8DB7-434EF6F09752.jpeg

Thanks for ALL of the pictures. That helps a lot.

I assume there's a walkway that's either paved or dirt that's flat right? (Just wondering after looking at your picture of the training area with grass and rocks.

Yea, those steps will be fine for me. I'm awkward when I walk steps because I can't bend my foot/let forward but going up is no problem as long as I use the handrail. Coming down is my issue and I have to walk one step at a time and sideways holding on. 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:36 AM, perfect match said:

Looking down the zipline from the launch platform. You’re looking over Adernaline Beach with Oasis in the background.

8E403DA8-0CE3-49C0-81B5-88E2998AEC6D.jpeg

O

Some of the other people from our boat coming in for a landing. I think they might have just enjoyed the optional dip into the water. You can either ask to be dipped, or request that they not dip you. I always ask to be dipped! 

2762CB08-51FC-44B7-97AA-0DA84D2DDB4D.jpeg

Wow those pictures are amazing! I really want to parasail as well but it sounds like there just won't be enough time. I've always wanted to "dip" but I probably won't get to now. 😞

On 2/15/2020 at 1:11 AM, perfect match said:

Kim, I hope these pictures help you get a feel for Labadee. You have helped so many other cruisers with your reviews that if I can give back just a little bit to you, I’m happy to do it.

We had a great time ziplining and parasailing there, and I truly felt very safe the whole time. Listen to the guide’s directions, do as they tell you, and you’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t suggest trying more that two activities while you are at Labadee. I’m sure you will want to explore the island, have lunch, and spend some time on one of the beaches while you’re there. Also, your leg will most likely need a break during the day.

When you go on your cruise planner to book your second activity, the cruise planner will automatically block out times that are too close to your first activity. I added an extra 1/2 hour between our zipline and our parasail over what the cruise planner allowed because I thought we would want the extra time. We could have easily made it from one activity to the other, but we were happy to have that extra time.

Be aware that the vendors at Labadee can be aggressive, especially the ones outside, along the path to the Columbus Cove beach. They will try and hand you something, then once you’re holding it, try to insist you buy it. Be careful around them. The vendors inside the building right near the tram stop are much better.

They have been a big help! I thank you SO MUCH! I'm a visual person of course.

Are there any "must see" on the island that I need to visit when exploring?

I booked the roller coaster at 10:30 (we get there at 10) and I looked at the zip lining and it said the next available was 11am. It seems like that would not be enough time to do one at 10:30 and be able to make it to the other in time. ??  I still can't figure out what time I should book the second. 😕

Mitsu - I was going to send you a message but it looks like I can't for some reason. I LOVE your reviews and I have been reading your Carnival ones to help me research a potential cruise I may book in April. I was also trying to find the profile for that young solo cruiser who also cruised NCL and CCL a lot. She ended up meeting her wife on one of her CCL cruises. I cannot for the life of me remember what her account was, I think it had fashion in the name? Anyone remember her? 

17 minutes ago, Victorious8 said:

Mitsu - I was going to send you a message but it looks like I can't for some reason. I LOVE your reviews and I have been reading your Carnival ones to help me research a potential cruise I may book in April. I was also trying to find the profile for that young solo cruiser who also cruised NCL and CCL a lot. She ended up meeting her wife on one of her CCL cruises. I cannot for the life of me remember what her account was, I think it had fashion in the name? Anyone remember her? 

Aww thanks for the kind words. I hope you find the reviews helpful and if you have any questions, I can try to help. I have a website now and it may be a little easier to look up things without having to read the entire review if you are looking for information on a port. You can go HERE (click) to the website and then go to the ports review section and see every place we have been at a certain port. 

I don't recall reading any solo cruisers reviews so can't help you there. Sorry. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Aww thanks for the kind words. I hope you find the reviews helpful and if you have any questions, I can try to help. I have a website now and it may be a little easier to look up things without having to read the entire review if you are looking for information on a port. You can go HERE (click) to the website and then go to the ports review section and see every place we have been at a certain port. 

I don't recall reading any solo cruisers reviews so can't help you there. Sorry. 

Good looking website Kim! You put a lot of time and effort into it.

14 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Good looking website Kim! You put a lot of time and effort into it.

Thanks so much. It actually took 3 years to create (working on it here and there) before I was finally able to get caught up and just add to it each time I cruise. (Although I was looking at it last week for something and noticed an "error" on one of the ports because I forgot to finish it lol). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Thanks so much. It actually took 3 years to create (working on it here and there) before I was finally able to get caught up and just add to it each time I cruise. (Although I was looking at it last week for something and noticed an "error" on one of the ports because I forgot to finish it lol). 

Yeah it's great, I am currently reading your Pride review since it is closest to the Carnival ship I may book (Miracle). But I am going to also read your most recent Carnival one so I can get a feel for what it's like on CCL vs. NCL. It's so crazy how tiny Sakari is in the Pride review! Like how has it only been about five years - makes me feel old!

58 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I have a website now and it may be a little easier to look up things without having to read the entire review if you are looking for information on a port. You can go HERE (click) to the website and then go to the ports review section and see every place we have been at 

Wow, just wow.   I went to your website...holy smokes-very  impressive!  So much work but creating such wonderful memories.  

1 hour ago, Victorious8 said:

Yeah it's great, I am currently reading your Pride review since it is closest to the Carnival ship I may book (Miracle). But I am going to also read your most recent Carnival one so I can get a feel for what it's like on CCL vs. NCL. It's so crazy how tiny Sakari is in the Pride review! Like how has it only been about five years - makes me feel old!

I have a good time on any ship no matter who it's owned by. I find more similarities than differences between the lines I've been on. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Sakari was so tiny just a few years ago. I miss that. We just measured her the other day and she's 5'3"...only 3 more inches to go and she'll be as tall as me. YIKES!!! 

50 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Wow, just wow.   I went to your website...holy smokes-very  impressive!  So much work but creating such wonderful memories.  

Aww gee, thanks so much. Glad you like it. It was A LOT of work...and still somewhat in progress...well, I guess it will always be a work in progress as long as I continue to cruise and do land vacations. HEHE

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Your rocking it! Keep up the good work! And make sure your web provider has a backup 

6 hours ago, Victorious8 said:

I think I know who you are talking about! @lara_lox is this you? I haven't read a review in awhile, but always enjoyed them as well 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Thanks and errrr...I'm not sure if they do. I wonder how I find out.

Diffidently want to contact them, you don't want loose anything if they have a server that goes down. I'm sure they have back ups but it doesn't hurt to check

Hello All,

Yes that was me who wrote the Solo Fashionista blogs, thank you for remembering me! You should be able to search for my reviews by my name and I think links are still in my signature but some photos might have expired.

I'm still cruising and also still happily married meaning less time to write about my trips! Maybe one day...

As always, Happy Cruising :D

• Like 4

was on the RCL boards this review is live from Oasis lots of pic and funtimes think its the same literary as your trip excellent pictures of the board walk balconies 

"Live" From Oasis of the Seas. February 16-23, 2020 - AMPed Up Oasis Looking For Maureencruiser 1 2 3 4 9

By MrFunInTheSun, Thursday at 09:38 PM

lconies 

14 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Diffidently want to contact them, you don't want loose anything if they have a server that goes down. I'm sure they have back ups but it doesn't hurt to check

I looked on the site and read this "All your web content will be stored on secure servers located around the world. So no matter where your visitors come from, your site will load fast." Does that mean that since it is stored on servers "around the world" that if one server went down the rest would still have it?

3 hours ago, starfish the second said:

was on the RCL boards this review is live from Oasis lots of pic and funtimes think its the same literary as your trip excellent pictures of the board walk balconies 

"Live" From Oasis of the Seas. February 16-23, 2020 - AMPed Up Oasis Looking For Maureencruiser 1 2 3 4 9

By MrFunInTheSun, Thursday at 09:38 PM

lconies 

YES!! Thank you!

9 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I looked on the site and read this "All your web content will be stored on secure servers located around the world. So no matter where your visitors come from, your site will load fast." Does that mean that since it is stored on servers "around the world" that if one server went down the rest would still have it?

Yes, or in theory it should be. Make sure you are backing up the files on your own computer also

6 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Yes, or in theory it should be. Make sure you are backing up the files on your own computer also

It won't let you. I did read that. They don't have the capability to do it and it said that you can create a "duplicate" website on their server but I'm not sure what good that would do? (It did mention that the webpage automatically updates when you put something in but a duplicate site would not and you would have to duplicate it again).

2 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

It won't let you. I did read that. They don't have the capability to do it and it said that you can create a "duplicate" website on their server but I'm not sure what good that would do? (It did mention that the webpage automatically updates when you put something in but a duplicate site would not and you would have to duplicate it again).

As long as you are backing up all of your original files, photos etc... to an external source which I'm sure your doing your good

6 hours ago, Laszlo said:

As long as you are backing up all of your original files, photos etc... to an external source which I'm sure your doing your good

I have all the pictures on my computer, on an external hard drive, on smugmug, my website...and here of course. LOL

• Like 1

Hi Kim,  If you are booked for roller coaster at 10:30 I think 11:00 for zip line would be too early.

We did the roller coaster and I remover allot of time was spent lined up waiting for our turn but I have also seen no lines at all subsequently. So it’s hard to say what you will encounter but I would suggest getting an afternoon zip line time slot.

So looking forward to your trip repor.

Hi Kim- great review and glad to hear you are on the mend!!  We are going on Escape in a few weeks for my son’s spring break and doing the same itinerary!  We did the Breakaway around the same time you did it last year and was very underwhelmed, so hoping the Escape is better.  We actually took the Escape to Bermuda a few years ago and my son was OBSESSED with the Guy Harvey channel.  I think I could recite the shows by the end of the cruise!

Having been on the Oasis class ships, I can offer you a few tips.  Regarding Ultimate Abyss, your feet and legs are in this sack/mat type of thing and your feet should not hit anything, even in the chute you end in.  Hold your elbows in or you will be sorry- my son didn’t listen (no surprise there) and got bad abrasions/burns on his elbows and hit his head.  He did not make the same mistake twice!

You are going to want to physically attend one of the shows at the Aqua Theater- there is a lot of aerial activity and things you might not see from your room.  Sign up for the first night, because they will cancel the show in rough seas.  They also have a fun/different aqua show usually the last sea day- can’t remember what it’s called on Oasis, but check the schedule.  Both ice skating shows are fabulous and a  must see!

If you want to do an activity, get there EARLY to make sure you get a spot.  Ice skating, flow riding, zip line, etc.  The minimum weight for zipline is 75lbs FYI (my son was devastated he could not do it).  They are very strict- no jewelry, wet clothes, and you must have closed- toe shoes on.  We stayed on the ship on a port day just so we could enjoy the slides, pools, and amenities without the crowds.  We don’t do the Broadway shows, but all the other shows they have are really good. The Solarium has an awesome salad bar that is free for lunch- check it out!  Also, Park Cafe in Central Park is good to beat the buffet crowds for breakfast, lunch, snacks.  Make sure to walk through Central Park at night!

I think someone mentioned the vendors at Labadee, but they are crazy aggressive.  Stay away from the open air market!  I’d honestly not go on the zipline or roller coaster with your leg, but I am in healthcare and am ultra conservative, 🤷🏻‍♀️

Looking forward to your reviews of Oasis- I think you guys will love her!