Reduced solo supplement

new_cruiser

It's a bit late as the promotion ends today, but I noticed that the Small Ship Big World Pick Your Perk graphic had a bullet for "Reduced rates for solo travelers." The accompanying text didn't say anything about the reduced rates. Anyway, I contacted my agent to ask what the bullet meant. 

Windstar has about 12 cruises with a reduced solo supplement. Only some of them are pick your perk cruises. On several that he checked the supplement is 20% instead of Windstar's usual 75%. None of the cruises are Caribbean - it was mostly ocean crossings and Asia with one Northern Europe (Wind Surf June 30, 2020).  I have a hold on the Wind Surf Jun 30 one so I have a few days to decide whether to go for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with Windstar and they are still offering some cruises with reduced solo supplement. It sounded like it's the same ones. 

They don't have anything about it on the website - you have to call or contact a TA for the info. 

They say it's a 20% solo supplement, but the pricing came out less than that for the one I booked. My price is slightly less than the per person double occupancy price on the website. 

thanks for this info, I was on a Windstar no solo supplement a few years ago in the Caribbean but have not seen it offered again, guess I will need to inquire about it with Windstar.  One of the questions asked the CEO in the fall was some no solo supplement and he mentioned some may be available later in the year but guess we need to call.  I have enjoyed my Star Clipper trips which offer no solo supplement but would enjoy another Windstar trip in the Caribbean. Enjoy your trip .

The ones at the time I inquired were:

Asia:                          

Cairns to Singapore 16D Wind Spirit 03.07.2020

Singapore to Benoa 12D  Wind Spirit 05.04.2020

Benoa to Cairns 16D Wind Spirit 05.16.2020

Benoa to Cairns 13D Star Breeze 11.16.2020

Northern Europe:     

Edinburgh to Copenhagen  10D Wind Surf 06.30.2020

Crossings:           

Noumea to Cairns 7D Wind Spirit 02.29.2020

San Juan to Lisbon 13D Star Pride  03.28.2020

St Maarten to Lisbon 14D Wind Surf 04.04.2020

Seward to Yokohama 15D Star Breeze 08.25.2020

Lisbon to St Maarten 13D Wind Surf 11.16.2020

??Lisbon to San Juan 14D Star Pride 11.28.2020 - this one is in an empty stretch on the Windstar website??

Lisbon to San Juan 13D Star Legend 11.30.2020

6 hours ago, elklemi said:

Star Clipper has no solo supplement on all Caribbean trips and  Mediterranean sailings,  may not be for all unless you like being under sail most of the time.

It's not on all sailings; it's on "select" sailings. For instance, that currently includes 4 Mediterranean sailings.

Oddly, when I've checked pricing in the past, they are priced much higher in the Caribbean than Windstar. In some cases (especially if you catch a good price on a Star Collector) with the solo supplement in Windstar for the Caribbean.

It's generally the opposite in the Med & Asia with Windstar much higher than Star Clippers. Especially Greek Islands itineraries which Windstar has priced very high.

I've been on Star Clippers once so far taking advantage of the no solo supplement. That cruise they mostly used the engines - the winds weren't favorable. There was one sail-away when they went in the wrong direction for a while to give us time under just sail power. 

Mostly, I liked it & would use them again if price & itinerary were right. I missed having a gym and there were a couple of other small things, but generally the cruise was very enjoyable. Climbing the mast and having a chance to steer was fun.