Tips waiver.

I’ve recently been told that people I know always go to guest service after boarding  and remove the tips from their account with a unique reason. They always get the drinks package and additional tips for that as they go thinking it’s proper. They eat in the buffet and never in MDR so they feel no need for tipping there.

In addition I remember on transatlantic last year a couple stating same as they only ate at buffet and cruise often and feel it’s an overcharging.

Now I reflect on $15.00 per person times 2 for $30.00 per day tipping charges for our most recent cruise and the increase must be partially because of this practice. Significant amount on 14 nights but well deserved for hard working crew. We do usually tip extra to cabin staff and MDR and activities staff that are excellent.

I just wonder how many people really stiff the hard working crew staff and how this caused increased charge for those who do pay. 

$2.00 bills I give always get a smile for a drink.

I would expect the percentage to be a low one. If it was done so much the cruise lines would find a way to combat it (it might take them time, it took them awhile to deal with the empty envelopes under the old system). I think the raises we've seen in gratuities is a way for cruise lines to remain competitive with each other and with shore based businesses. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, sparks1093 said:

I would expect the percentage to be a low one. If it was done so much the cruise lines would find a way to combat it (it might take them time, it took them awhile to deal with the empty envelopes under the old system). I think the raises we've seen in gratuities is a way for cruise lines to remain competitive with each other and with shore based businesses. 

Include the tips in the price of the cruise. If it was done that way and you wanted to tip waiters, cabin crew etc for better service, it is then all theirs and not shared.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, ovccruiser said:

Include the tips in the price of the cruise. If it was done that way and you wanted to tip waiters, cabin crew etc for better service, it is then all theirs and not shared.

All the cruise lines would have to include the tips in the cruise price.  Otherwise, those who do not would be able to advertise prices lower than those that don't.  

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

All the cruise lines would have to include the tips in the cruise price.  Otherwise, those who do not would be able to advertise prices lower than those that don't.  

So you never check the small print to see what is and what is not included? If you take your point to the next level. cruise lines who do not include food say, would be even cheaper. You also have to bear in mind that not all cruise lines are the same price now, and there are a number in the UK who are including drinks packages and tips in their prices. You would just need to shop around for the best deal 😄 😄 

2 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

So you never check the small print to see what is and what is not included? If you take your point to the next level. cruise lines who do not include food say, would be even cheaper. You also have to bear in mind that not all cruise lines are the same price now, and there are a number in the UK who are including drinks packages and tips in their prices. You would just need to shop around for the best deal 😄 😄 

This isn't the UK.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

This isn't the UK.  

But we are discussing this on the World Wide Web 😄 Doesn't that give you a clue? I, also, cannot imagine the US cruise lines not doing the same, most UK based cruise lines are American owned after all.

Edited by ovccruiser

25 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

But we are discussing this on the World Wide Web 😄 Doesn't that give you a clue? I, also, cannot imagine the US cruise lines not doing the same, most UK based cruise lines are American owned after all.

That's irrelevant and  you need to fine tune your imagination.  

The cruise lines tailor their product to their targeted audience.  

Just because the cruise lines offer one product to the UK, doesn't mean they will offer the same product to the US.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

That's irrelevant and  you need to fine tune your imagination.  

The cruise lines tailor their product to their targeted audience.  

Just because the cruise lines offer one product to the UK, doesn't mean they will offer the same product to the US.

So if you google "all inclusive cruises" in the US you get no results?

1 hour ago, ovccruiser said:

So if you google "all inclusive cruises" in the US you get no results?

Evidently, you have no problems finding all inclusive cruises, so what's your point?  You want an all inclusive cruise, then book one.  I prefer a more à la carte

Edited by RocketMan275

19 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Evidently, you have no problems finding all inclusive cruises, so what's your point?  You want an all inclusive cruise, then book one.  I prefer a more à la carte

Sorry don't see where you are coming from with that phrase, cruises are always a la carte dining, but we are discussing tips here, or had you forgotten?  😄 😄 

1 hour ago, ovccruiser said:

Sorry don't see where you are coming from with that phrase, cruises are always a la carte dining, but we are discussing tips here, or had you forgotten?  😄 😄 

You were the one that suggested googling "all inclusive cruise", were you not? If by "all inclusive" you mean that tips are included they are available here in the US but they are very pricey compared to the non-all inclusive cruises.

4 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

I believe  you brought up 'all inclusive cruises'.  Or, had you forgotten?

On 12/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, ovccruiser said:

There are all inclusive cruises...

• 2 weeks later...