Christmas onboard Silver Whisper

Island Venturer

21 hours ago, Island Venturer said:

I'd just like to say a couple of things... as I see my original post has irked many of you.  First off, most Catholic priests who sail onboard ships during Easter and Christmas cruises are retired.  AND, they pay (discounted, but pay nonetheless).  Frankly, I was surprised to see such vitriol from my original post.  I was just stating a fact about a change with Silversea (a change, I'm told, is now fleet wide).  I thought this forum was just for such a post... to inform others of updates, changes, opinions, etc.   Ships are rarely, if ever, in port on Christmas Day... I wonder why that is?  It is because it is a special day to celebrate and reflect.  Even if one is not Catholic or "Christian"...  that's what it is about. I simply do not understand why having a 45 minute Catholic service Christmas morning is so offensive.   And I'm sorry if so many of you were so angered/annoyed by my post.  Such nasty responses... such as "if a priest is so important to you on Christmas, stay home" and "shipboard priests are dubious at best, and may even have been defrocked"... are just outrageous, non-factual, and simply show the lack of respect of many.  Very sad indeed.  Oh, and by the way... Merry Christmas.

Ships "are rarely, if ever, in port on Christmas Day" because nothing is usually open or available in the port on that day in most parts of the world where ships cruise.  Shops will be closed, tour operators closed so no excursions offered, line handlers unavailable, etc.