TSA Locks

cruiseDH22

We fly and cruise usually with 2 check-in suitcases in addition to our carry-ons.

I am planning on getting these locks for the 2 check-ins:

https://www.amazon.com/Forge-TSA-Lock-Pack-Indicator/dp/B01N7ILPEL

I am relatively new to air travel and cruising.  I don't notice if others commonly lock their suitcases.

Is this choice of lock adequate?

Those locks look fine.   They look studier than the ones that I use, so I may get some myself.   I always lock my luggage for flying, as well as when I turn it over to the baggage handlers at the pier and when I set it out the night before disembarkation.   I know no luggage lock will keep out a determined thief, and I never put anything of value in my checked bag.   But I still feel more comfortable if my bag is locked when it is out of my possession.  

They say locks keep the innocent people out. 

When leaving our luggage outside the stateroom the night before, one of the stewards walked by and said, "you need locks, locks".  I guess there is some experience there.

Nervous about all these locks because whatever brand I choose to look at on Amazon there are a small percentage of negative comments that these locks freezing up or failing in some way.

But they all have a percentage of one stars with such comments.  I  guess it does pay to take the chance and use them.  Better to be locked out of your suitcase than have something missing.

49 minutes ago, cruiseDH22 said:

We fly and cruise usually with 2 check-in suitcases in addition to our carry-ons.

I am planning on getting these locks for the 2 check-ins:

https://www.amazon.com/Forge-TSA-Lock-Pack-Indicator/dp/B01N7ILPEL

I am relatively new to air travel and cruising.  I don't notice if others commonly lock their suitcases.

Is this choice of lock adequate?

Yes, I bought these last year instead of using the key type I had. Work great. Used them on 5 different cruises this year. Never a problem. This way you set your combination and never worry about losing key. 

Happy CRUISING! 

Happy Holidays !

I’ve had more electronics stolen from bags going through TSA than I ever have just blowing through baggage.   Unfortunately if you don’t give them access ... you don’t travel.  It’s just that easy.  But TSA locks are a good option for keeping out the tarmac worker sticky fingers, if nothing else.

Go to your nearby Dollar+ Store, buy a bag of colored zip ties - they work great to keep unknown items OUT of any checked bags that can be "locked" as an "indicator" - cheap, inexpensive & easily replaced, and disposed of.   Use those blue, red, yellow & green ones - less commonly found than black or clear ones.  For security inspection (TSA has no presence at cruise terminals, only outsourced contractors doing security screening; or, ship security) - you break the zip ties with a nail clipper or a TSA-approved multi-tool tool's "knife" blade, etc. upon request.  

Odds are, if your bag(s) are tagged for a visual - it will be pulled & held onboard in the luggage room until your arrival, to be opened in their presence for any questioned items or contents (i.e. rum runners or unknown cans, etc.)  TSA locks, no matter how "solidly" built, aren't going to keep out butter fingers or anyone intended in being evil, or put something inside to get thru without you knowing, etc. 

There is hardly anything important for someone to take from our checked bags ... but, trip insurance w luggage coverage will take care of filing a claim, if the contents are missing. 

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

I’ve had more electronics stolen from bags going through TSA than I ever have just blowing through baggage.   Unfortunately if you don’t give them access ... you don’t travel.  It’s just that easy.  But TSA locks are a good option for keeping out the tarmac worker sticky fingers, if nothing else.

My electronics are never in bags that don't leave my sight.

• Like 1

I use these same combo locks and have found them to work great for past 2 or 3 years.  Several trips each year.

I understand a lock wont keep thieves out but it may have them think twice and go to a bag with no lock

Plus it stops your luggage from opening up on tarmac.  I have seen that at least twice and hope to never see my clothes and belongings laying on tarmac.

I use a combination.  Zip ties to keep zippers from opening.  Combination locks that aren't TSA approved for when I need to check a bag with a left luggage facility.

I was missing a TSA lock from my bag the last time I flew, not sure if it was cut off or just fell off, as the hinge had gotten a little wonky.  Either way, I was only using it to keep the zippers from coming apart.  If they want your stuff they are going to take your stuff, and there's not much you can do about it.

You do not need to let TSA take your bag out of your sight at the checkpoint.  In fact, the TSA website says that you have the right to stay with your bag.  I always lock my bag that I will take through the "Smurfpoint."  I do not put my bag into the scanner until I am going through the detector; if people have to wait, that's OK with me.  If my bag gets selected for a closer look, I will walk with them to wherever they are taking the bag and take off the lock.   There were too many instances of TSA helping themselves to things out of bags when passengers were too afraid to assert their right.   I'm not a "anything for security" sheeple.  The worst that has happen to me was the TSA guy totally emptied my bag on the table, ruffled through it, found nothing, then told me to repack it myself.   Better to repack than have that guy decide he liked my new Bose headphones...