Breakfast Served in Main Dining Room?

bryanem

1 hour ago, squadron said:

I enjoy the main dining room sometimes but there  can be the issue of slow service   and I don't like to be railroaded to "fill" a table when I would rather sit at another .  

oddly the only time this has happened to us was when we were eating breakfast in the Buffet on a Princess cruise. A staff member asked if it was OK if another couple shared our table. Naturally we said yes.  We have never been forced to sit with others in the MDR for breakfast, lunch or dinner on any cruise line.

My experience is from Anthem spring of 2017.

BREAKFAST

We ate most breakfast at the Windjammer.  I don't recall why.

We did the MDR once in the 4 night cruise.  The MDR, as others have stated is quiet.  I think service is perceived slow because you want to pack your day with activity and get out fast.  Otherwise, it's not worse than your average diner.  I liked the Eggs Benedict and vaguely remember going for items at eh buffet, but also ordering eggs and grits and stuff off the menu.. not memorable apparently.

We liked the windjammer because they had a lot of Asian breakfast items - hot soups, a few noodle dishes, congee (rice porridge), various kinds of sausages and omelets to order.  I did NOT like the breads, bagels or pastries.  They looked pretty, but tasted dull.  We were early risers and never had a problem for getting a table.  Lots of fresh fruit which I put in my 48 oz. insulated mug with ice water to make a flavored water.  LOVED the overnight oatmeal/muesli with berries.

LUNCH

Only ate lunch once at the MDR the last sea day because we got a kitchen tour that included an exclusive brunch.  Wish we had done that more often!  We really liked the lunch menu.  I had been avoiding the NY Strip which is always on the menu.  It was a really good steak!  I'll be ordering that one again!  Still left room to try the Windjammer later

Windjammer lunch - again, lots of variety.  I think there was a Caribbean night that we were too stuffed to partake, but I still tried a few items and they were terrific!  They also had a "Thank You" cake ffrom the crew which was so good, I brought three pieces to the cabin for my napping wife, but ended up eating them all myself!

DINNER

We absolutely love the MDR for service and better food quality.  Also, my wife like Indian food and asked if they had any.  Our wait staff who were Indian lit up and brought us a seven course Indian meal every night we were there!  And that was on top of ordering from the menu.  the last night, they literally spoon fed us.  I had ordered a shrimp appetizer and watched as our attendant de-shelled a shrimp using only two spoons and fed us!

I only went to the windjammer to explore after dinner, and most memorable for me was a simple vanilla mousse.  But there were a lot of good options there.  Roasted leg of lamb, seafood and a variety of other things.

ROOMSERVICE

Wish I had tried it.  There was one late night that I actually felt kinda snacky, and the pizza place was all out and the sandwich shop only had a veggy baguette (which was very tasty).  I did not want to wake my sleeping wife, so I opted not to call room service.  I think I will try that on my next cruise on Grandeur in September.

Edited by BillHoo

On 12/25/2019 at 3:36 PM, bryanem said:

I believe I have read before that they serve breakfast in the main dining room, the same place you have dinner. 

Can someone please confirm that, and if so, is it less crowded than going to the Windjammer or wherever the Main breakfast buffet is?  

Thanks. 

Easy to confirm which restaurants are open for each meal through the RCI app. If there is a breakfast, lunch or dinner menu they are open then. It also lists times and you can navigate through the different days to see the menus.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just say no and ask for a table for just your party.  No way I am sitting at a large table of uncaffeinated cruisers to start my day!

My "party" is just me and the person allotting tables keeps wanting to  make me or  keeps assuming I'm a part of the  group ahead or behind me.  There is a reluctance to give a two top to a single at breakfast.  A four top is Ok because you can leave more easily when finished .  Breakfast at a table to 8 to 10 is really slow - partly because some take forever to choose .