Hong Kong cruise stop trip report / Kai Tak shuttles, MTR and Hong Kong / Macau tour options

ebslcc

23 hours ago, ebslcc said:

Nan Lian Garden / Chi lin Nunnery

A few more notes:

The Nan Lian Garden opens at 7 AM to 9 PM.

Chi Lin Vegetarian restaurant is also opened for dinner at 6 to 9 PM (last order at 8:30 PM). 

The grounds are even more peaceful at night with less tours and tourists!!! It makes a nice evening excursion if you are not venturing out in Kowloon or Hong Kong island. 

The restaurant is not inexpensive, proceeds goes to maintenance of the property.

Google "Chi Lin Vegetarian menu" to see menu and prices. Chinese Vegetarian food is not to my taste but I read that this is one of the better vegetarian restaurants. Check out reviews on TripAdvisor.

To get there and back from Kai Tak after shuttle hours just take a taxi or Uber.

南蓮園池 (Nan Lian Garden)

九龍黃大仙鑽石山鳳德道60號 (60 Fung Tak Road, Diamond Hill)

http://www.chilin.org/ a good aerial view of the Garden and the Nunnery

Diamond Hill .pdf map https://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/ch/services/maps/dih.pdf

Note where the taxi stand is.

DH.thumb.jpg.9a0e1f0badba27248e94dc27bdf6c4ab.jpg

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm not going until August but will research the octopus card as the shuttle price is per person. Still seems reasonable but a lot higher than the metro. 

I 2nd Rome2Rio.  Use it all over, downloaded MTR in Google play.  

You have plenty of time to plan your cruise excursions!  Hopefully you will bring some good weather with you.

If you like Rome2Rio you may want to try eMobility also for Hong Kong.  Per eMobility using MTR you will get to your hotel in ~60 minutes. 15 minutes faster than taking the bus. 

What time are you going to be on the Airport Express?  With the bus you don't have to transfer!!! With the Airport Express MTR you will need to get off and get on a regular (not Airport Express) train.  I think Hong Kong Central station is the busiest station.  People are always in a rush.  They DON'T queue up nicely like in Japan.  It may be a real challenge getting on the regular MTR train to get to North Point with luggage!  AE cost is $110 HKD (no concession fare). 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the helpful apps Laurence.  Yes this is our first time in Hong Kong as well as first time in Asia.  I hired a private guide for a few things when we first planned the trip, prior to any riots.  Now I am really glad I did.  (We are doing Singapore on our own).  The guide will pick us up at the port and show us around HKI mostly the first day (the Peak, Aberdeen, Stanley), then a night food tour of Mong Kok, and one day on Lantau at the Big Buddha and Tai O fishing village.  He is flexible, and will tell us about any demonstrations or problem areas for when we are on our own.  I have some mobility issues - severe arthritis in my feet - so I like to have access to a car for at least part of any trip.  I never know how it will feel day to day. Some days I can walk just fine, although slower than I would like to be!  We plan to spend a day in Macau, and a day exploring Kowloon on our own.  

I do tons of research before our trips, but I learned several things from your post and the responses that were so helpful.  For one thing, I did not know that Singapore Air does not participate in the luggage drop off at the MTR.  That will certainly alter our plans for getting to the airport.  Our plane is at night so now I will plan to leave the luggage at the hotel for the day and take a taxi to the airport.  We are at the Intercontinental on the water in Kowloon.  

Chi Lin Nunnery and the gardens looks great, and the evening tour of the harbour.  Any other must sees anyone recommends?  Our cruise goes from Singapore to Ko Samui Thailand, Bangkok, then we are getting off and flying to Angkor Wat and then re-connecting with the ship in Saigon, then Hoi An, Ha Long Bay and Hanoi, then Hong Kong.  I am getting very excited!

thank you for all the good info. My Mom and I fly into Hong Kong airport ~ 6pm on Friday Jan. 31. I have booked us into Metropark Kowloon hotel, flying from the Midwest I am sure we will be quite tired! Our cruise leaves next day from Kai Tak and I am hoping to squeeze in a half day of sightseeing in Hong Kong before we go. Neither of us are great walkers so I am trying to streamline everything. Is it true that we can't use our charge cards for a taxi? I booked a 1/2 day sightseeing excursion that includes the Peak Tram and some other things I don't really care so much about. I mainly booked it because of hotel pick up and that it was easy! My plan was to leave our luggage at the hotel and upon return from the sight seeing just take a taxi to the cruise terminal. The Star Ferry and the Ngang Ping 360 cable car both sound pretty awesome. Any easy way to do any/either of these without a lot of walking? Sorry about the annoying questions, my head is starting to spin with all the details!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wellsfarm said:

My Mom and I fly into Hong Kong airport ~ 6pm on Friday Jan. 31 ... booked us into Metropark Kowloon hotel, flying from the Midwest ... Our cruise leaves next day from Kai Tak ... squeeze in a half day of sightseeing ... before we go. Neither of us are great walkers  ... Is it true that we can't use our charge cards for a taxi? I booked a 1/2 day sightseeing excursion that includes the Peak Tram and some other things ... because of hotel pick up ... The Star Ferry and the Ngang Ping 360 cable car both sound pretty awesome. Any easy way to do any/either of these without a lot of walking?

Let me offer some help here ...

You will be arriving a week after the Lunar Chinese New Year (Saturday before your embarkation) and businesses should all reopened by then, trying to recover to the new "normal" with the protests & what not ...  Stay alert/tuned to the news & in touch with the folks doing your 1/2 day tour on pickup, etc. 

Taxis in HK are supposed to accept credit card as payment, but some will be "out of order" and unable to, "sorry" - given the depressed economy now - I suspect that those try to get a nice fare/trip from the airport into the Kowloon or HK island would do what they can/must to be "accept" all forms of payment.  But, not a guarantee - on arrival into HKIA (what airline ?  United out of ORD ??) - before exiting the immigration & customs arrival hall for ground transport, there is a 24/7 currency exchange counter to get local currencies - not the best rates, fees included in the posted conversion - convenient is key, since you don't need a lot for the 24 hours stay/visit.

McD's, Starbucks, KFC & Pizza Huts, 7-11, etc. all accept credit cards - just alert your bank/cc issuer about using it abroad.  

Trust me, both of you will be jetlegged after a long TP polar (non-stop, I hope) flight with time zones upside down ... listen to your body, don't push it.  You might be better off doing a dinner upon arrival after checking into the hotel, and get a good night sleep - and do something simple for that 1/2 day instead.  By taxi, it's a 45 minutes ride (+/1 fifteen minutes in the mid/late evening) from airport to hotel - the CityFlyer A21 dedicated double-decker bus stop directly in front of the hotel, like stop # 12 on the limited stop run - and it is around the corner from one of the hotel's side street entrance (where taxis are always waiting) toward the Prince Edward MTR station nearby, the site/hotspot for numerous violent protests over the last 6 months ... it's been mostly calm, lately - fingers crossed.  

Star Ferry is an easy 20+ minutes ride along Nathan Road, served by numerous bus routes, some stopping directly in front of the hotel's front/main entrance - just ask the front desk to help.  NP 360 cable car & Budda is OUT of your way on a 1/2 day tour with jetlegged body, I don't advise it - it's a 1 hour + trip to get there on a motorcoach or minivan, etc. and back, lines for the cable car & then 20 minutes up to the hill-top, LOTS of walking to reach the bottom of the giant statue, long climb up the steps & then, return to the cable car terminal for going back down - beautiful & scenic views of the countryside, on a clear day ... check the weather forecast, winter is usually good, temperature a little cooler, nothing like WI.  

If you are being driven to see & do the Peak Tram and back, it should be fine - what other un-interesting stops are included ??  From Central - maybe you can asked to get dropped off at/near the Star Ferry terminal on the island side, take the ride across the harbour - then, either a short bus or taxi ride to the hotel to retrieve luggage/checkout.  

For mid/late evening, your dinner options near the hotel are somewhat limited - hotel has a coffee shop for breakfast/buffet - good for the morning, also bakery downstairs, without getting lost.  Google Map is your friend for local actions in finding what's around you.  

BTW, hotel rooms are small & basic - it is convenient & you should be charged a very, very reasonable rate for your stay ... mattresses are thin & firm.  

thank you for such detailed help

18 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

You will be arriving a week after the Lunar Chinese New Year (Saturday before your embarkation) and businesses should all reopened by then, trying to recover to the new "normal" with the protests & what not ...  Stay alert/tuned to the news & in touch with the folks doing your 1/2 day tour on pickup, etc. 

Taxis in HK are supposed to accept credit card as payment, but some will be "out of order" and unable to, "sorry" - given the depressed economy now - I suspect that those try to get a nice fare/trip from the airport into the Kowloon or HK island would do what they can/must to be "accept" all forms of payment.  But, not a guarantee - on arrival into HKIA (what airline ?  United out of ORD ??) - before exiting the immigration & customs arrival hall for ground transport, there is a 24/7 currency exchange counter to get local currencies - not the best rates, fees included in the posted conversion - convenient is key, since you don't need a lot for the 24 hours stay/visit.

McD's, Starbucks, KFC & Pizza Huts, 7-11, etc. all accept credit cards - just alert your bank/cc issuer about using it abroad.  

Trust me, both of you will be jetlegged after a long TP polar (non-stop, I hope) flight with time zones upside down ... listen to your body, don't push it.  You might be better off doing a dinner upon arrival after checking into the hotel, and get a good night sleep - and do something simple for that 1/2 day instead.  By taxi, it's a 45 minutes ride (+/1 fifteen minutes in the mid/late evening) from airport to hotel - the CityFlyer A21 dedicated double-decker bus stop directly in front of the hotel, like stop # 12 on the limited stop run - and it is around the corner from one of the hotel's side street entrance (where taxis are always waiting) toward the Prince Edward MTR station nearby, the site/hotspot for numerous violent protests over the last 6 months ... it's been mostly calm, lately - fingers crossed.  

Star Ferry is an easy 20+ minutes ride along Nathan Road, served by numerous bus routes, some stopping directly in front of the hotel's front/main entrance - just ask the front desk to help.  NP 360 cable car & Budda is OUT of your way on a 1/2 day tour with jetlegged body, I don't advise it - it's a 1 hour + trip to get there on a motorcoach or minivan, etc. and back, lines for the cable car & then 20 minutes up to the hill-top, LOTS of walking to reach the bottom of the giant statue, long climb up the steps & then, return to the cable car terminal for going back down - beautiful & scenic views of the countryside, on a clear day ... check the weather forecast, winter is usually good, temperature a little cooler, nothing like WI.  

If you are being driven to see & do the Peak Tram and back, it should be fine - what other un-interesting stops are included ??  From Central - maybe you can asked to get dropped off at/near the Star Ferry terminal on the island side, take the ride across the harbour - then, either a short bus or taxi ride to the hotel to retrieve luggage/checkout.  

For mid/late evening, your dinner options near the hotel are somewhat limited - hotel has a coffee shop for breakfast/buffet - good for the morning, also bakery downstairs, without getting lost.  Google Map is your friend for local actions in finding what's around you.  

BTW, hotel rooms are small & basic - it is convenient & you should be charged a very, very reasonable rate for your stay ... mattresses are thin & firm.  

thank you for such detailed info. If we take the Cityflyer A21 bus will we need local currency? and how much? Is it difficult with luggage? It sounds very convenient. We fly Milwaukee to Dallas, then Dallas to Hong Kong on American - not my first choice. The half day tour includes Aberdeen, Stanley market and a jewelry factory in addition to the Peak Tram. The hotel does seem reasonable price wise and I like the location.

16 minutes ago, wellsfarm said:

thank you for such detailed help

thank you for such detailed info. If we take the Cityflyer A21 bus will we need local currency? and how much? Is it difficult with luggage? ... We fly Milwaukee to Dallas, then Dallas to Hong Kong on American - not my first choice. The half day tour includes Aberdeen, Stanley market and a jewelry factory in addition to the Peak Tram ... 

Scratch that A21 bus idea, should've double checked - got the MP Kowloon on Waterloo Road (right) mixed up with the MP Mongkok Hotel on Lai Chi Kok Road (that's on the A21 route).  Yours is nicer than the one in Mong Kok and much further away from the known trouble spots, should be fine & no worries.  Transport is less "convenient" even if you take the Airport Express train into Kowloon Station, still have to take the free transfer bus w. luggage on one of the route to your hotel (free porter services are available).  There is a discount for 2 travelers using the AE Pass purchased, ask at the airport MTR service counter (should reduce the 22+ minutes express train ride - free WiFi - fare from $190/200 to about $150 HKD, less than $20 USD)  

These "A" series airporter bus are typically air-conditioned double deckers with luggage racks, bilingual signage & spoken next stop announcements + moving "map" displayed onboard the bus.  It's super easy & convenient for lightly packed world travelers with a 22" rollerboard & a backpack ... we've managed with our 25" overseas rollers - at peak time, they run out of rack/storage space downstairs - video feed upstairs help keep eyes on them.  

Taxi ride with a toll and tips direct to the hotel should (on a metered rate) run about $350 to $400 HKD, depending on traffic - $35 to $40 for the cab, not per person - very reasonable & inexpensive.  After a long flight with a connection, I would just spend that little extra - head for the taxi queue, sit back & consider it part of the scenic evening ride into town (45 minutes) 

Hotel is connected to/integrated & next to multi-level shopping mall with dining options - get check-in quickly & get dinner, ask the front desk as they will know whether it's still open at the mid/late evening hours (many are closing earlier than usual these days ... ) or what's open/available nearby.  Then, get some rest.

Stanley Market (outlet/shopping & bar/dining) & Aberdeen Harbour  (seafood & old typhoon/fishing village) are fine, it's along the way after the Peak ... those should be fine, the shopping shop at a jewelery place - yike, maybe one of those in Hung Hom - tour guides work on low rates in exchange for these shopping stops & get a commission/rebate to offset ... not sure if you can get out of it (now that you know ... )   It's going to be along, tiring half-day quick tour to get it all in.  

I was just about decided on a taxi, they do sound reasonable and soooo easy. I've never been on a 17 hour flight, I fear the worst as far as our exhaustion goes! Other travelers had commented on the jewelry stop, as you said, probably a commission for the tour guide, we aren't much into shopping. Maybe we can just stay on the bus and take a nap! thanks again for all your help, I feel a lot better about our choices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wellsfarm said:

thank you for all the good info. My Mom and I fly into Hong Kong airport ~ 6pm on Friday Jan. 31. I have booked us into Metropark Kowloon hotel, flying from the Midwest I am sure we will be quite tired! Our cruise leaves next day from Kai Tak and I am hoping to squeeze in a half day of sightseeing in Hong Kong before we go.

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Trust me, both of you will be jetlegged after a long TP polar (non-stop, I hope) flight with time zones upside down ... listen to your body, don't push it.  You might be better off doing a dinner upon arrival after checking into the hotel, and get a good night sleep - and do something simple for that 1/2 day instead...

Thanks mking8288 for adding your excellent expert help!  Adding my 2 cents:

Re: "I booked a 1/2 day sightseeing excursion that includes the Peak Tram and some other things I don't really care so much about. I mainly booked it because of hotel pick up and that it was easy! ..." 

You have a good plan taking the HK highlights excursion. Such a tour minimize walking. It's great that you are picked up right at your hotel for the tour. You probably picked the Viator Hong Kong Island Half-Day Tour including Peak Tram" $40.46 tour? It has generally good reviews 4 stars 900+ reviews.  The itinerary is one of the standard Hong Kong highlights tour.  It is almost identical to the Princess Hong Kong Highlight tour YouTube video that I referenced earlier: https://youtu.be/AOidWReYaWI  with the exception of a Jewelry store stop where taking a nap in the van/bus is a good idea :).  The optional sampan ride for an additional cost is another opportunity for a nap.

What time do you need to check in by at Kai Tak?  I see that your ship leaves Hong Kong at 6 PM Feb 1st. From Metropark to Kai Tak Google Map estimate is 16 - 35 min drive time (9.3 km).

You may have time to have lunch before heading out to Kai Tak?  FYI, both the restaurants onsite at Metropark Kowloon are 4 stars rated on openrice, a "Yelp" like website with reviews from locals (mostly in Chinese - you can Google Translate).  They are also both rated 4 stars on TripAdvisor.
Palm Court Western Restaurant (1/F) is a western lunch buffet
House of Tang is known for good Dim Sum!

Re: Airport transfer mking8288 reminded me about the free shuttle to hotel service available with the Airport Express MTR.  You may choose to take a taxi instead however it may be useful for others to consider when selecting which hotel to stay at pre or post cruise to take advantage of this service. There are multiple shuttle routes available. The routes are designed to be SHORT around 20 minutes circular.  Without traffic you can be dropped off at your hotel within 10 to 20 minutes!  See http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html and http://www.hkairportexpress.com/en/easy-shuttle-bus.php.  I have taken this route previous trips and enjoy the smooth flow. I have taken the bus option also - big advantage is low cost vs. other options and a nice top deck ride early 6 AM in the morning. I didn't mind taking a slow route to town 🙂.

Since you are staying at the Metropark Kowloon it's worth considering vs. taking a taxi. 

Steps:

1. After exiting from customs - go to money exchange (1-2 minute walk ... skip this if you got HKD from your local bank)

2. Go to the MTR counter (1-2 minute walk) 

3. Buy a one way Airport Express ticket for each of you - check with the counter agent to take advantage of the special 2 traveler discount mking8288  mentioned "discount for 2 travelers using the AE Pass purchased".

4. Wait for the next train (< 10 minutes wait)

5. Get off Airport Express Kowloon Station (21 minutes)

6. Follow signs to Airport Express K5 Shuttle (wait time ~< 20 minutes)

7. Get on the K5 shuttle and get off Stop 2: Metropark Hotel Kowloon (~ 10 minutes)

Alternatively: go to the taxi stand, queue up, give taxi driver the name / address of you hotel ... enjoy the direct connection to your hotel.  At ~9 PM Friday night Google Map estimates a 30 to 45 minutes drive. BTW, there are 3 taxi types at HKIA.  The right ones to Hong Kong and Kowloon are the red ones.  I am sure people at the taxi stand will direct you to the right one.

I think it may be a toss up between the 2 options in terms of difficulty and time.  Which ever you take enjoy!!! 

K5 shuttle (http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html)

K5(To Mong Kok & Tai Kok Tsui)
  • Service hours 06:12 - 23:12(every 20 minutes)
  • Stop 1: MTR Yau Ma Tei Station/ The Cityview
  • Stop 2: Metropark Hotel Kowloon
  • Stop 3: Royal Plaza Hotel
  • Stop 4: Metropark Hotel Mongkok
  • Stop 5: Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong

A good YouTube on this option:

On 1/4/2020 at 8:28 AM, Ombud said:

I booked the Hyatt Centric Victoria Harbor ...

Your hotel in North Point is only 1 1/2 block from the Hotel Ibis North Point (another great hotel to consider in North Point) https://goo.gl/maps/kW7e9RYSY2c2zH2A9 

The Airport Express shuttle stops at the Hotel Ibis 4th Stop on the H4 route.  Total travel time on the MTR and shuttle = 24 minutes AE to Hong Kong Station, ~5-10 minutes walk to the shuttle, 10 - 20 minutes wait time for the shuttle, ~20 minutes travel time on the shuttle since the Ibis is near the end of the route. http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html:

H4(To Fortress Hill & Island East)
  • Service hours 06:12 - 23:12(every 20 minutes)
  • Stop 1: Iclub Fortress Hill Hotel
  • Stop 2: Harbour Grand Hong Kong
  • Stop 3: City Garden Hotel
  • Stop 4: Ibis North Point Hotel
  • Stop 5: Harbour Plaza North Point
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

Thank you for the helpful apps Laurence.  Yes this is our first time in Hong Kong as well as first time in Asia.  I hired a private guide for a few things when we first planned the trip, prior to any riots.  Now I am really glad I did.  (We are doing Singapore on our own).  The guide will pick us up at the port and show us around HKI mostly the first day (the Peak, Aberdeen, Stanley), then a night food tour of Mong Kok, and one day on Lantau at the Big Buddha and Tai O fishing village.  He is flexible, and will tell us about any demonstrations or problem areas for when we are on our own.  I have some mobility issues - severe arthritis in my feet - so I like to have access to a car for at least part of any trip.  I never know how it will feel day to day. Some days I can walk just fine, although slower than I would like to be!  We plan to spend a day in Macau, and a day exploring Kowloon on our own.  

I do tons of research before our trips, but I learned several things from your post and the responses that were so helpful.  For one thing, I did not know that Singapore Air does not participate in the luggage drop off at the MTR.  That will certainly alter our plans for getting to the airport.  Our plane is at night so now I will plan to leave the luggage at the hotel for the day and take a taxi to the airport.  We are at the Intercontinental on the water in Kowloon.  

Chi Lin Nunnery and the gardens looks great, and the evening tour of the harbour.  Any other must sees anyone recommends?  Our cruise goes from Singapore to Ko Samui Thailand, Bangkok, then we are getting off and flying to Angkor Wat and then re-connecting with the ship in Saigon, then Hoi An, Ha Long Bay and Hanoi, then Hong Kong.  I am getting very excited!

Glad to help. Very nice that you have a private guide arranged.  Is your guide going to take you to Macau also?  Will your guide have a vehicle in Macau?  What would you be interested doing on your day without your guide?  I will reply later with some suggestions. 

Laurence

We are arriving in HK  on Quantum in Feb and flying home that evening. We plan to take a taxi to Kowloon Airport Express station to check in luggage then spend the day in the city. Does anyone know the approx taxi cost from cruise terminal to Kowloon station? Just thinking about how much cash we will need to change up to cover our day in HK.

We are going to be staying one night pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile in Kowloon. Is there an airport bus that goes close to that hotel or should we just take the Airport Express train and then transfer to the K3 shuttle bus? Also, is there any way to pay for our tickets with a credit/debit card, or do we have to pay in cash?

Thanks!

Laurence - The guide wanted quite a lot for Macau for the day and I think we can do it on our own.  I understand there are taxis at the port that will take you on short tours so I plan to hire one of them.  I want to see the Old Town area with Senado Square, A-Ma Temple, the panda exhibit near the Venetian, the Taipa Village colored houses, and a few of the casinos for the architecture (MGM, Grand Lisbon) and the free water show at the Wynn.  I'd like to go up the tower for the view, and possible see the House of Dancing Water show at City of Dreams casino.  I am not too interested in seeing the Venetian as we have stayed there in Vegas and it look very similar.

We didn't take the Airport Express.  It would have cost the two of us $23 to take it or $60 all in for private car service at 5:30 am on a Sunday morning.  Here is a list of free shuttles to hotels from the Kowloon Airport Express Station.  

Since the Holiday Inn Golden Mile is on the free shuttle list and is direct, why not take it.

The reason we took a private car service is that, after a 15 hour flight, we knew we would be in no mood to lug our bags to Airport Express and then lug them onto a shuttle bus.  For an extra $37, we had a nice ride in a Tesla direct to the hotel.  

8 minutes ago, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

Laurence - The guide wanted quite a lot for Macau for the day and I think we can do it on our own.  I understand there are taxis at the port that will take you on short tours so I plan to hire one of them.  I want to see the Old Town area with Senado Square, A-Ma Temple, the panda exhibit near the Venetian, the Taipa Village colored houses, and a few of the casinos for the architecture (MGM, Grand Lisbon) and the free water show at the Wynn.  I'd like to go up the tower for the view, and possible see the House of Dancing Water show at City of Dreams casino.  I am not too interested in seeing the Venetian as we have stayed there in Vegas and it look very similar.

If you want to do all of the things you have on your schedule, you may want the guide or driver.  We did Macau on our own, but weren't as ambitious with our day.  There is a 7:30 am ferry, but leave yourself some time to catch it.

We took a 9 am ferry from Kowloon to Macau.  First, you could go earlier, but leave yourself time to even find the area where TurboJet leaves from once getting into the building.  That wasn't easy.  We arrived in Macau at 10.  We got a taxi and took a drop off near Ruins of St Paul by 10:30.  We walked up to the fortress (it's nice up there) and then back down past the ruins, gardens and Senado Square and spent two hours in total in the old town.  We had a sit down lunch in Macau from 12:30 to 1:30 and House of Dancing Water started at 5, but we wanted to exchange our voucher for tickets by 4 at City of Dreams.  That gave us two hours plus of time.  We decided to walk through the Venetian and then City of Dreams.  After a 30 minute taxi ride (and looking for taxi), we arrived at the Venetian by 2:15 pm, walked around for 45 minutes and headed to City of Dreams at 3 pm and walked around there for an hour, got a snack, exchanged our voucher for tickets at 4 and waited for doors to open for the show, which starts at 5 pm.

The show goes from 5 to 7 pm.  We had time for an early sit down dinner in City of Dreams.  We found a good place for Roast Goose and then went to the shuttle station in the hotel which took us to the Turbojet ferry and we caught the last ferry (9:30 pm or 9:45 pm can't remember).  We took a taxi and were back in our hotel in TST by 11 to 11:15.  

The show was great and the old town had a lot of charm and we had a good day.  I'm not sure we would have wanted jam more into one day.  

6 hours ago, kernow said:

We are arriving in HK on Quantum in Feb and flying home that evening ... taxi to Kowloon Airport Express station to check in luggage then spend the day in the city ... 

How much GBP to convert into HKD is hard to say, depending your plans for dining, souvenir shopping, snacks/pre-flight dinner at the airport, etc.   $50 GBP would get you about $490 HKD, which I would do as a minimum or $100 CBP for about $980 HKD - after deducting the fares of the Airport Express (for 2 travelers ?? with discount from KL Station to HKIA is $150 HKD)   Unless you are planning on walking the whole day, not ride the Star Ferry, etc. - you should have just enough ... 7-11's (everywhere), Starbucks & McD cheerfully accept debit/credit cards, etc. 

Taxi fares from KTCT to KL Station for AE, like all rides in HK are metered fare & depending on route, traffic & road conditions, should run about $100 to $120 on average + loose change for tips (10% is fine.)  **** see below

Dining, cafe & anything purchased airside at the airport are priced higher, as expected - all of HK is duty-free shopping, not just at the airport shops (some are unique, like liquor & cigarettes ...)  Expect to pay tourist/airport prices for soda, coffee & alike.  

5 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

... one night pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile in Kowloon. Is there an airport bus that goes close to that hotel ... any way to pay for our tickets with a credit/debit card, or do we have to pay in cash?

Cityflyer's A21 - stop #16 on Nathan Road at/near Salisbury Road is your nearest stop to HIGM, 1 short city block on the same side north - very easy, as long as you are packing light & can handle luggage on the bus. (check out Youtube for the A21 ride for a virtual view - I've posted the link here before)  Exact fare is $33 per person, one-way - no change given.  If using HKD / local currency instead of the Octopus Card or Tourist Ticket ($65, valid for 24 hours unlimited travel)  - you can put $70 HKD into the fare collection box, next to the driver & go (no change given back) - almost everyone else will be "beeping" to debit the fare with their Octopus Card. 

Arriving at the airport, you can purchase & get the fare cards at the MTR Service Centre / counter after leaving the Customs & Excise area (beyond Immigration) - signage is there, before going into Arrival Hall with dozens waiting to meet & greet.  Or, use the Currency Exchange counter for its convenience.  

CityFlyer - guide to all hotel & stops -

http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/airport-bus/hotel/index.aspx?intLangID=1

CF A21 route map - 

https://mobile.nwstbus.com.hk/nwp3/?f=1&ds=A21&dsmode=1&l=1

**** MTR Airport Express - group discount for 2, 3 or 4 travelers

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/promotions_4persons.html

MTR Tourist Ticket - Day Pass (valid for 24 hours once activated on 1st. use) $65 for adults.  For cruise ship passengers on a short/overnight stay on DIY visit/touring - this is a good value, ease the headache dealing with exact fares, coins & loose change, etc. - I recommend this & used it myself before (first time back in the 1980's ... since then, just go with the Octopus) 

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/day_pass_tourist.html

4 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

How much GBP to convert into HKD is hard to say, depending your plans for dining, souvenir shopping, snacks/pre-flight dinner at the airport, etc.   $50 GBP would get you about $490 HKD, which I would do as a minimum or $100 CBP for about $980 HKD - after deducting the fares of the Airport Express (for 2 travelers ?? with discount from KL Station to HKIA is $150 HKD)   Unless you are planning on walking the whole day, not ride the Star Ferry, etc. - you should have just enough ... 7-11's (everywhere), Starbucks & McD cheerfully accept debit/credit cards, etc. 

Taxi fares from KTCT to KL Station for AE, like all rides in HK are metered fare & depending on route, traffic & road conditions, should run about $100 to $120 on average + loose change for tips (10% is fine.)  **** see below

Dining, cafe & anything purchased airside at the airport are priced higher, as expected - all of HK is duty-free shopping, not just at the airport shops (some are unique, like liquor & cigarettes ...)  Expect to pay tourist/airport prices for soda, coffee & alike.  

Thank you, I'm thinking we will change 100 GBP, should be enough but we will have credit cards too if we need more. I was mostly concerned about the transport in case they only took cash.

• Like 1

FYI - somewhat related, only for those visting/staying in HK longer ... unless your "private" tour has a scheduled scenic/photo stop at the world famous, iconic Jumbo Floating Restaurant at Aberdeen's Typhoon Harbour on the south side of HK island, quick hop from Stanley Market - another touring stop after the Peak Tram (a popular tourist attraction for 45+ years, owned & managed by the major Macau family empire)  ... DW just got a news flash alert forwarded (in Chinese, sorry) - effective immediately, they are cutting back their hours, dim sum/lunch from 11:30 to 2 pm and dinner from 6 to 10 pm only, closed on all Mondays. 

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/20200106/bkn-20200106121433793-0106_00822_001.html

HK's economy, officially slipped into a recession and forecasted to get worst before recovering, after the lundar New Year later this month ... more layoffs expected & businesses cutting back, bailing out ... including rumors of LV closing its flagship store location in Causeway Bay.  Check ahead on your plans and reconfirm again to avoid disappointments & unpleasant surprises.  

Happy cruising & safe travel.  

Edited by mking8288

9 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The reason we took a private car service is that, after a 15 hour flight, we knew we would be in no mood to lug our bags to Airport Express and then lug them onto a shuttle bus.  For an extra $37, we had a nice ride in a Tesla direct to the hotel.

Can you share the name of the private car service you used from HKIA to your hotel?  We'd prefer to prearrange a transfer from the airport to TST and not have to rely on taxis or Uber.

1 hour ago, MightyQuinn said:

Can you share the name of the private car service you used from HKIA to your hotel?  We'd prefer to prearrange a transfer from the airport to TST and not have to rely on taxis or Uber.

I booked it through the hotel's website.  I think the company they used was Hong Kong Travel Pass Limited.  It was $60 for Tesla from airport to Hotel Icon.  Mozio.com also wholesales different companies and you google them and Tesla.

I see getyourguide.com has Tesla for $54.

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Thanks 1

Crimlaw, 

noted ur comments regarding the Airport express shuttle in Hong Kong from Kowloon station. You stated that Singapore airlines does not have service  there for checking luggage. I’m confused because when I go on the site, I see that Singapore airlines does accept luggage to be forwarded to airport.  Can someone clarify, as we will be in HK in early March for a few days post cruise.& have a late evening flight back to US. Would love to be able to check our luggage after hotel checkout &spend rest of day touring.

FYI - I just checked the latest/current HKIA info based on published MTR Airport Express info about participating airlines on using In-town check-in services.  Out of 64 listed airlines, 14 provide in-town services for flights departing the next day and the rest for same day departure only - SG or Singapore Airlines is one of the 14 participating in both same day AND next day check-in services, for baggage drop and issuance of boarding passes, seat assignment, etc. at both the Hong Kong Station and Kowloon Station for AE. Their direct contact number in HK is 2520-2233 (8 digital number)  - all area codes are (852) which you do NOT need to dial locally.  You can call them directly to re/confirm - based on what I read, it is available & offer.

Since last August, there has been a few instances where in-town services at the Kowloon AE Station has been suspended and/or not available temporary - but, that has NOT happened recently and I do not forseen it to change.  Of course, things could change in a heartbeat but from recent trending - unlikely.  It is probably a good idea to call ahead on the day of your scheduled in-town check in to verify, before leaving for the station ... in case the services is restricted to the HK Station only.  

In short, those traveling on SG should be able to count on it.  

Official links/resources used here - please kindly bookmark & save that PDF file on airlines.  Regards ! 

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/transport/to-from-airport/airport-express.page

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_checkin.html