Marella Discovery Itinerary Change. Colours of the Far East (Merged threads).

Koh Samui? Really!  Wow!  It’s difficult to cope with all of these changes.  Hope you don’t have to wait as long for the refund as we are.  We will definitely give the hotel a try.  There’s a hotel right on the dockside in Roseau, Dominica called the Fort Young Hotel, overlooking the jetty the ship ties up at and is a lovely spot to sit overlooking the sea and the ship.  A chance to have a quiet drink away from the crowds and a five minute walk to the ship.

26 minutes ago, Southendweather said:

To get an indication of 'haze' you can see it's nothing to worry about from the webcam on TUI's Mein Schiff 6:

https://www.tuicruises.com/mein-schiff-6

Currently in Kuala Lumpur. Scroll down the page and you should see the front of the ship.

Keith (Southend)

TUI Mein Schiff 6 is only 2 years old and Mein Schiff 7 is due to be launched in 2023. Both cost in the region of half billion $. TUI bought out Thomson airline and hotels and recently, Thomas Cook ditto airlines and hotels. In contrast, the costs incurred in fixing Discovery may be considered 'Loose change'. Lets hope it's not the 'last straw'. Dig deep into your pockets Marella, it's time to help out your 'Poor Relation'. Lol 🙂

12 hours ago, ekco said:

Koh Samui? Really!  Wow!  It’s difficult to cope with all of these changes.  Hope you don’t have to wait as long for the refund as we are.  We will definitely give the hotel a try.  There’s a hotel right on the dockside in Roseau, Dominica called the Fort Young Hotel, overlooking the jetty the ship ties up at and is a lovely spot to sit overlooking the sea and the ship.  A chance to have a quiet drink away from the crowds and a five minute walk to the ship.

I know it's the Express, so you have read with a pinch of salt, but does seem to mirror what is happening atm:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1229384/tui-cruise-ship-marella-discovery-cruises-refund-itinerary-asia-holidays-news-latest

<snip>

TUI says it has contacted all customers due to travel up to 6 February 2020 and it will offer all passengers £250 in compensation.

For passengers booked to travel in February, this sum has been slashed to £100 per person as TUI hopes to reinstate the call at Koh Samui by this date.

TUI has said is also refunding the cost of any excursions affected.

<snip>

Keith (Southend)

18 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

TUI Mein Schiff 6 is only 2 years old and Mein Schiff 7 is due to be launched in 2023. Both cost in the region of half billion $. TUI bought out Thomson airline and hotels and recently, Thomas Cook ditto airlines and hotels. In contrast, the costs incurred in fixing Discovery may be considered 'Loose change'. Lets hope it's not the 'last straw'. Dig deep into your pockets Marella, it's time to help out your 'Poor Relation'. Lol 🙂

I'd imagine cost isn't the issue here as they need the ship working fully asap, it is more likely manufacturing the new part(s) and getting them shipped out, probably from Germany and on the first available container ship as the part would probably be to large to fly out. This would take at least two months, but I'm just guessing.

Keith (Southend)

Same old mantra, repeat, repeat, repeat.  What they don’t understand is the constant thinking about what you are going to get in February and no communication either.  Would it be so difficult to give refunds until relocation back in March? After all it would only be from mid-February onwards as we just fall into the end of January deadline travelling in the 30th.  As for refunding excursions, well that’s good of them.  Don’t overdo it will you.  Try a bit of customer service for a change.

48 minutes ago, Southendweather said:

I'd imagine cost isn't the issue here as they need the ship working fully asap, it is more likely manufacturing the new part(s) and getting them shipped out, probably from Germany and on the first available container ship as the part would probably be to large to fly out. This would take at least two months, but I'm just guessing.

Keith (Southend)

Yep agreed, those transformers are large and weigh about 10 tons each and they get mighty hot. If you Google 'transformer cooling', there's a lot of firms making oil, water and air cooled heat ex-changers for large transformers. According to a marine (military and civil) forum elsewhere, the cooling fans can suck a lot of muck inside and require careful and regular maintenance.

I've now booked excursions for all port stops apart from Koh Samui, which has had them all sold out online since I started looking, and Malacca.

Assuming we do stop at Koh Sumui does anyone know where abouts on the island the ship tenders to, as I was looking at some the beaches around the island:

http://www.kosamui.com/chaweng-beach/

Definately one to dash to the excursion booths as soon as we get on board.

Are there any must sees here I ask? Or maybe this answers my qustion:

http://www.kosamui.com/top10-attractions.htm

Malacca, which now seems the most like one that might be missed none of the on-line excursions set me a light so probably if we were going to miss a port this one would be the one. But saying that, if we are lucky enough to stop here I'm sure we'll find something nice to do, in fact the dutch houses on the river look nice.

Keith (Southend)

I will wait for Margaret’s report on Koh Samui, I think.  It looks like a resort that we can do independently if we need to.  Re. the ships problem, it’s their problem and not ours.  I don’t want to know if the oven breaks down in the kitchen either, we are on holiday and I have enough of that at home.  Comparing this to our timeshare in Madeira regarding customer service, no contest.  Check in for us next week anyway and thankfully no change to the flight time yet so thank goodness for small mercy’s, or is it mercies? 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 11:08 PM, Pensioncruiser said:

Stranger and stranger the flight out on Wed had an 8hr delay as did the London flight. Last week our friends left on time🤔

Last week, surely the flight would have been to and from Bangkok. Those flights have not had changed times. I was on the one to BHX.

Only the Langkawi flights to/from Gatwick and Birmingham have had changed times. Not a delay as such but a deliberate scheduling change to match the ship's arrival time at Langkawi so they can drop off and pick up passengers with a minimum time on the ground.

@ekco flights to/from Manchester have not been affected. The ship is already in port when the flight is due to arrive so no need to adjust times.

Edited by idh2019
additional info added

Make sure you sit by the infinity pool ! We didnt notice it at first and sat by the rather boring pool behind the hotel .The infinity pool is stunning with fabulous view.

We were in Penang today. Walked out of terminal and hired a series of trishaws for our family .$20 pp for an hours tour which was plenty of time to see all the main streets and sights. Guys were great characters and gave good information .Dropped us off at floating market afterwards. 

Thanks Margaret and idh2019 for that info.  I think the reason the Friday arrivers want to book excursions early is that the other flights come in on Wednesday, I think, and if they rush to book the worry is that none are available for Friday.  Of course if you have a party of 4 like Margaret then it is definitely more cost effective to go independently.  We will wait for news about Koh Samui before making a decision on what to do there.  Looking forward to the infinity pool, ssh! Don’t tell anyone else, we don’t want the whole ship in there with us.😀

6 hours ago, idh2019 said:

Last week, surely the flight would have been to and from Bangkok. Those flights have not had changed times. I was on the one to BHX.

Only the Langkawi flights to/from Gatwick and Birmingham have had changed times. Not a delay as such but a deliberate scheduling change to match the ship's arrival time at Langkawi so they can drop off and pick up passengers with a minimum time on the ground.

@ekco flights to/from Manchester have not been affected. The ship is already in port when the flight is due to arrive so no need to adjust times.

Thanks for the info, I was just referring to the flight information posted at the various airports which indicated delays I did not have knowledge of any rescheduling, sorry if its been a problem to anyone. Just hoping our friend's do not have an eight hour delay. 🤞

Great day today in Singapore. We did In Footsteps of Raffles trip . Actual really good and meant we didnt have to queue for our very enjoyable Singapore Sling at Raffles. We dropped off the tour before return to ship which gave us time for lunch in China Town and to go up to the top of Marina Bay Hotel . We took the MRT back to the ship which was cheap and sooo much more pleasant than London underground .

Now en route for Koh Samui !!

Captain says we will be on anchor by 10 am but he hopes earlier. Think we have been very lucky with itinerary reinstatements.

We wanted to do that trip but it was fully booked so went for the Cultural Charms instead, only 4 hours which is good as it gives us time in the day to do our own thing.  What time did you depart Singapore? It makes a big difference to planning the day there.  It sounds like the change of captain a couple of weeks back made a big difference.  Fingers crossed for us going to Koh Samui, can’t wait for your report as to diy from the port area.  Just sorting out the sundries we are taking plus a lightweight travel pillow and blanket for the flight to be shrink wrapped in the hand luggage.  I don’t like to rough it these days, lol.

We were wait listed for the tour as 4 of us and only 2 places available but next day 4 tickets appeared in cabin !

we left Singapore about 6.30 pm The Captain asked for everyones cooperation because you have to hand in your passport when you return to ship and they have to clear everyone with Singapore authorities so takes a while for this process. He wanted to get away promptly to make it to Koh Samui in good time .

For the technical ones reading this .......Our cabin faces over the stern . We have been watching the wash all cruise. The port engine is creating a powerful wash.The starboard one looks rather pathetic by comparison !

1 hour ago, Margaret Rees said:

<snip>

For the technical ones reading this .......Our cabin faces over the stern . We have been watching the wash all cruise. The port engine is creating a powerful wash.The starboard one looks rather pathetic by comparison !

We were on 'Secrets of Asia 1' on Discovery in March 2019. Similar itinerary but we got Blair Island instead of Singapore but Singapore was never advertised, so can't complain. Half the passengers didn't have the Full Indian visa required for Blair but the captain did a bit of arm-bending and folk were allowed off ship for excursions and snorkeling etc,. on the nice beaches. Entertainment was pretty good, Theresa's fave act was "The Lady Boys of Bangkok" - lol :)

We also had a rear cabin (6122) which was great but did suffer a bit from soot debris from the funnel (I think they burn paper) but our fantastic steward soon cleaned it up. We may do this trip again in say, 2 or 3 years time but only if  Singapore is on the Itinerary. Regards Paul.

We will miss that on the first day as we are doing Bangkok By Night.  Who knows, we might see some lady boys there.  Actually, we might just catch the late show if we can get seats.